Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Sobering study says even one drink can do you harm - SMH, 27/03/05

Cowboy Mac

Bluelighter
Alcohol does more damage to a person's health than previously thought, a new study has revealed.

Researchers from the University of California found that people who drank five or more standards drinks in one session the previous month were twice as likely as moderate drinkers to show early signs of heart disease. The study is the first to show a link between drinking when young and the hardening of the arteries.

It also shows that binge drinking puts individuals at higher risk of heart attacks and strokes.

The researchers looked at more than 3000 people aged between 33 and 45, checking their health for the first signs of heart disease and the hardening of arteries.

They found that drinking even one pint of beer or a glass of wine a day in a person's 20s and 30s might be increasing the risk of the condition.

Paul Dillon of the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre said he was not surprised by the study's results. "It challenges the concept that alcohol in moderation is good for you," he said.

"People are always being told wine is good for you, but that is not really the case."

Binge drinking (more than five drinks in a session) was a risky way of drinking alcohol, Mr Dillon said.

Source

Someone should write to Letters to the editor of all packer newspapers and write why alcohol is far worse than any illicit substances put together.

Surprise surprise...8)

Guess all those "Studies" by research organisations that are funded by alcohol weren't really telling the truth after all...8) :p

if anything this study has made a very puzzling conclusion.

What about those countries such as Italy and France where drinking starts at a young age and is constant throughout the lives of those people. If this study is correct then those countries would be showing a huge amount of heart disease.

Not to suggest that alcohol isn't bad for you but it seems weird, espeically with the lack of detail.

Hopefully new scientist or someone other mainstream peer review mag will publish details of the study.

I'm waiting for the study which links {insert illness here} with the stress caused by constantly worrying about every molecule you put into your body.

Newsflash - we're all dying. Enjoy life before it happens.

Interesting article. I've known quite a few early drinkers who have either died from, or been diagnosed early with cardio-vascular disorders. As a teenager, I was given "free range" with alcohol, but I detested the taste and smell so I never indulged unless I felt obliged. When my mates started to drink heavily at ~17, I tried, but could never keep up - I was a real two pot screamer. So I'd sip on a bottle till it was flat and then try to get rid it without someone noticing it was half full.

Still, upon arriving in Australia when I was 22, I found something of an appreciation in the hot weather, beer culture of Qld and enjoyed a 1/2 a 6 pack most nights of the week. What probably saved me from worse habits was the fact that I was never attracted to pub culture. However my drinking increased somewhat at ~32 - ironically, just after my father died of a drinking related illness - but I'm pleased to say that with recently giving up smoking, my drinking has subsided considerably.

I think that my first question with any such study would be " What other lifestyle habits, which may go hand in hand with drinking, could alone or in combination with alcohol, serve to exacerbate these medical conditions".

Before giving up smoking, I was speaking with my Dr. He asked how much coffee did I drink, how much alcohol etc. He remarked that smokers more often than not tend to also drink more coffee and alcohol and have more salt in their diet than non-smokers. He remarked that it was simply an observed trend, and didn't attempt to explain it. So, when conducting such a survey, it would be important to ensure that these additional factors were excluded if alcohol is to be properly investigated as the sole culprit or cause.

they should next have pro E studies. please, i really wanna see that, that would make me smile a whole day nonstop. even when im chomping down on food ill stop to smile and think YAY!!!=)