Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

new video game

speedygonzales

Bluelighter
GAME 'GLAMORIZES' DRUGS
Computer Title Features Police Using Crack, Pot

Acomputer game in which players use crack cocaine, ecstasy and cannabis to give themselves a "power boost" was condemned Saturday as irresponsible by anti-drug campaigners.

Critics said the game, called Narc, would glamorize drug-taking and undermine respect for the police, who are depicted in the game as taking the drugs to help them to catch criminals.

In the game, which will be released in the United States this week and in Britain in May, the players are elite undercover narcotics officers whose aim is to eliminate an international drug cartel.

Two police characters take drugs from the dealers and can use them to give themselves a "power boost" to help them to face "tough challenges."

A spokesman for Sony Playstation in London said: "If an officer finds himself in an extremely difficult or dangerous situation, say surrounded by violent enemies, he can take drugs and that can give him the power to take them on and win."

Each drug has a different effect. If the officer takes a digital ecstasy tablet, for example, it creates a mellow atmosphere that can pacify aggressive enemies.

An electronic puff of marijuana temporarily slows the action of the game like a sports action-replay. The use of crack momentarily makes the player a top marksman -- a "crack" shot.

The aim of the game, which can be played by one or more players on a Playstation or Xbox console, is to "bust" drug dealers until they capture the "Mr. Big" of the underworld.

"I don't approve of a game that has people taking drugs," said Dr. Ken Checinski, a senior lecturer at St George's Hospital medical school in London and an authority on addictive behaviour.

"There is a risk that it will glamorize drug-taking and send out the wrong message to young, impressionable people. It could also send out a dangerous moral message -- that two wrongs make a right: corrupt officers take illicit drugs while working and it helps them to arrest criminals."

A spokesman for Drugscope, an anti-drug charity, said: "It is totally wrong to suggest that people can do their jobs better while under the influence of drugs."

Sony defended the game, which will receive an adult classification.

"It's a classic good versus evil game that shows the destructive power of drugs," a spokesman said.

A spokesman for Midway, Narc's publisher, said: "This subject is something that nobody else has tackled in computer games and we felt it was time to do it."

Thanks for the article, speedygonzales - in which publication did it appear?

BigTrancer :)

The games due out soonn.....wonder about the clasifications tho, normally anything gorey is stomped upon so something that allows you get high and fuck shit up sounds a little far out...sounds fucking cool tho!!

Imagine the possibalities!

"I don't approve of a game that has people taking drugs," said Dr. Ken Checinski, a senior lecturer at St George's Hospital medical school in London and an authority on addictive behaviour.

I hope that this same Dr. also does not approve of games that have people killing other people.

There seems to be so much censorship controversy over depictions of sex and drug use, yet murder and violence are (by comparison) tolerated and feature prominently on TV.

I'm not a fan of censorship of any kind of expression, but it puzzles me that people should be so sensitive about issues like sex and drugs, rather than worrying about more destructive (and in my mind more offensive) social issues like murder and violence. Like a teacher of mine told me in year 10, "How many times are you going to have sex in your life?.....And how many times are you going to kill someone?", implying that the depiction of all of these taboo issues in film etc. is disproportionate to our reality.

Each drug has a different effect. If the officer takes a digital ecstasy tablet, for example, it creates a mellow atmosphere that can pacify aggressive enemies.

An electronic puff of marijuana temporarily slows the action of the game like a sports action-replay. The use of crack momentarily makes the player a top marksman -- a "crack" shot.

They should include traps that teach people about risks associated with drug use, like PMA-adulterated ecstasy tablets that kill you unless you get to a hospital. That would be an easy point on which to defend the game.

You could win a bonus reagent test kit after the first round and prevent it from happening again! Super Fun!

This was posted in DITM by killarava2day

killarava2day said:
New game smacks of grim culture
By Garry Barker
The Age Technology Editor
March 21, 2005

Alien monsters and intergalactic nuclear conflict are now old hat. These days the coolest computer games are into urban drug culture, and as part of the game players now "take" drugs such as crack cocaine and speed.

Games publishers in the US say this year's best sellers will be fantasy adventures in which players not only shoot the baddies but themselves, and "shoot-up" or "smoke" drugs to change the pace or ambience of the game.

It is all done in virtuality, not reality, but some worry that such immersion into the drug culture will harm players, mostly males in their teens or early 20s.

All of this, plus the dangers of drug abuse, such as blackouts, addiction, arrest, job loss and death, are included in the latest version of a game called Narc, due for release by Christmas this year for PlayStation 2 and Xbox.

In the US, Narc will have an M rating, meaning it may be sold only to those over 17, which, in the real teen world, means little.
AdvertisementAdvertisement

The Office of Film and Literature Classification, which rates or bans computer games in Australia, has not yet seen the latest drug culture productions.

Dr Ken Checinski, an authority on addictive behaviour, at St George's hospital medical school in London, said: "I don't approve of a game that has people taking drugs.

"There is a risk that it will glamourise drug-taking and send out the wrong message to young, impressionable people. We want young people to understand the real risk of drug-taking, and games such as this don't help."

A spokesman for Sony defended the game, saying it was "a classic good-versus-evil game" that showed the destructive power of drugs.

But John Fitzgerald, of the University of Melbourne's school of population health, believed most game players had no difficulty in separating reality and fantasy, and that the likelihood of being turned into junkies was less than many expect.

"Gamers are more interested in fantasy, not usually into drug-taking, and they deal with drug-taking in fantasy differently than in reality," he said.

"They would see drug-taking as a fantasy behaviour rather than one that affected real life behaviour."

- with Sunday Telegraph

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2005/03/20/1111253889409.html

After being an Office Administrator at an Electronic Games Corporation I learnt something very interesting.

' Any publicity is good publicity'

The fact that these people have come out and winged about the drug conotations in this game , as simply given this corporartion free and highly effective advertising.
As soon as kids, teenagers or even adults here about this the game is going to sell even better.

The fact that the game is about busting a drug cartel, its something that hasnt been delt with before in this industry , expect to see excellent sales!!

If you could take acid, then mess people up with your psychadelic powers, then I'd buy it.

but crack? weed? eckkies [bro]?

pfffft. they've released games about drugs before, anyone remember that crappy bike-racing game that was put out to supposedly teach you that "Drugs aren't for winners?" Can't remember it's name, but you could take coke to make you faster, but you'd have to deal with the "comedown" bah. I also remember the old FBI warnings on alot of old american games "Winners don't use drugs"

@ Ishkur
Another thing I don't understand: why is it okay for technology to shatter records, but not drugs. When the clap skate came out, speedskating records fell by the ton. Yet if an athlete drinks a cup of coffee, he's banninated for life. What if technology comes out allowing swimmers to grow webbed toes. Weightlifters are getting into such insane amounts of weight these days that ultimately they're going to need adamantium grafted onto their bones so their spine doesn't telescope. Will that be legal? See, technology is guilty of performance enhancement far more than drugs are. And things are going to get worse when they start genetically producing pitchers with 200mph fastballs and Nike begins manufacturing basketball shoes with flubber soles. And how come video games keep telling us winners don't use drugs? That's utter crap. Has the FBI been paying attention? Drug users win all the time. They may have taken Ben Johnson's gold medal away, but he still ran the fastest.

God help the conservatives, violence in a video game AND drug use! I'm surprised they aren't all popping a valium or 2 right now just to deal with the amount of moral indignation they are feeling! :O ;)

Winners dont use drugs - because if u come first and are found to have used drugs, your disqualified!

Personally, I find it very confusing. You can have 'performance enhancing' drugs, and yet 'winners' dont use them. Marijuana apparently makes you tired, lethargic, slow and lazy, and yet it too is a performance enhancing drug.

but having never touched drugs (Im a winner) I wouldnt know anything about this

btw CharlesBronson, well said. indeed, its one of the strangest phenomena in our 'modern' era

"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music"

Gareth Owen

I'll tell you something honestly about drugs, honestly, and I know it's not a very popular idea, you don't hear it very often anymore, but it is the truth- I had a great time doing drugs. Sorry. Never murdered anyone, never robbed anyone, never raped anyone, never beat anyone, never lost a job, a car, a house, a wife or kids, laughed my ass off, and went about my day...I got news for you, folks. A-1, alcohol is a drug, and B-2, and here's the real one, alcohol kills more people than crack, coke and heroin ... combined each year...The musicians today, who don't do drugs, and in fact speak out against it-"We're rockers against drugs"-boy, they suck. Suck. Ball-less, soul-less, spirit-less, corporate little bitches, suckers of Satan's cock, each and every one of them.

BILL HICKS.......................

This game does not have a snowflakes chance in hell of being legal in Australia. There's enough power in the classification laws to easily ban material with anything to do with drugs if you twist it the right way, and especially so for games where there is no R18+ category. For a game to be classified MA15+ (highest it can get) the "drug use should be justified by context". A game can be refused classification (ie: banned) if it contains "material promoting or encouraging proscribed drug use". (source)

N.B - for the purpose of the description "proscribed drug" basically means "illicit drug".

nickthecheese said:
If you could take acid, then mess people up with your psychadelic powers, then I'd buy it.

rofl... what a cool game that would be !

hey in grand theft auto 3 you can take drugs well a drug... it just slows everything down... anyone rember that one ?