• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

vicks inhalers and cornea injury

2oclockbeanfiend

Bluelighter
Blowing 'Vicks' in eyes associated with eye injury (1/19/05)

People have long sought ways to enhance MDMA intoxication, usually by providing stimuli such as massage, light shows, etc. One methods involves using Vicks brand decongestant inhalers, blowing through the flow-through inhaler to blow some of it's contents into the eyes of another user; the effect of the menthol and other components is apparently enjoyable while under the influence of MDMA. However, one doctor has reported seeing repeated minor eye injuries from this practice, apparently caused when droplets of the 'Vicks' compound struck the surface of the eye, chemically injuring the cornea. Such injuries are not medically serious, but can be quite painful; the practice should probably be avoided.

^^^
from thedea.org

lol damn
i should sure as hell have or should have at least had cornea damage at one point
2 halloweens ago a friend of mine blew that shit at my face
only it wasn't just the mist
he blew that shit so hard at least half the liquid from inhaler went all over my face and in my eyes
BURN FROM HELL!!!!!!! (yet somehow lovely at the same time)
immediately after this happened another friend of mine (and soon after a chorus of others) responded with "wash that out and call poison control" -----omfg, that scared the living hell out of me ('oh my god am i going to go blind?!?!?!? am i really in trouble?!!!!!??!!?')
after a good scare he told me he was just kidding, but i guess that could really have been a problem

anybody ever need to go to the doctors after having this happen?

well think about it, would u rub vicks in ur eyes. i can see how it feels wonderful, but i aint about to put anything in my eyes unless its meant to go in ur eyes. if theres one thing i dont fuck with its my eyes... i hate it enough when i have an eyelash swimming around my eye

i just read that from the website too... silly me, we were just doing that this weekend... *doh*

sypra,believe me,i didn't intend to get it in my eyes, and neither did my friend
i guess he didn't know it was full and just blew too hard and the liquid shot out
i like the vicks inhaler for what its intended for
INHALING

LoL use if for a lil while untill the shit stops shooting out of it then blow easy in they eyes and its all good :)

it feels just as good if you close your eyes and have someone do it, if your that worried about it doing cornea or retina damage.

Hey what does the vick flow thorugh inhailer look like?? And what is it supposed to be used for if you are looking for one at a Chemist shop/Pharmacy.

I'm here in Australia and all I'm used to seeing is the Vicks nasal inhaler for blocked noses and the Vicks vapor rub. After reading the "roll tricks" post a few weeks back I thought they were talking about sucking in a mouthful of vicks nasal inhailer then blowing the it in a mates eyes... Now I'm thinking I have guessed it all wrong... can someone fill me it?

Oh and yeah it's good to hear the precautions about conea damage... I'll be sure to be careful with this....

By the way how good really can the vicks roll trick really be? I mean I'm thinking this kind of stimulie can only do something if you are completey off chops.... I'm gonna try getting my hands on some amyl nitrite for rolling I doubt the vick would really compare even though I'll try it too...what do you rekon?

The Vicks inhaler looks like a tube of chapstick:

Prod_VaporInhaler.gif

Pull the cover off and it look more like a small ventilated dildo. :)

TheDEA.org said:
The Vicks inhaler looks like a tube of chapstick:

Pull the cover off and it look more like a small ventilated dildo. :)

Couldn't have said it better myself! It's used for the same reasons you would use any other vick's product.... you got bad sinuses!

Personally I dont like any one giving me eyeshots because of shit like that. I give myself eyeshots, cause i know when to stop and how much to use.

in_tha_mix said:
Personally I dont like any one giving me eyeshots because of shit like that. I give myself eyeshots, cause i know when to stop and how much to use.

you took the words right out my mouth!

I didn't even think twice about blowing menthol fumes in peoples faces could be dangerous.... apart from the watery eyes, everything seems to be kool......well i never researched about this topic... so mabie i'm just misinformed about the dangers of vicks inhalers rofl

I was going to post this a while ago, but I figured only the mentally challenged were going to be blowing shit in each others eyes... obviously, I was wrong.

From July 2004 • Volume 22 • Number 4 of the American Journal of Emergency Medicine

To the Editor:

The growing popularity of the street drug 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine, known as MDMA or “ecstasy,” has been documented in the newspaper and television. This hallucinogenic amphetamine produces a hypersensory state that amplifies the mentholated sensation of Vick’s Vapor Rub placed on the body. I can report seeing multiple patients presenting to the emergency department (ED) with corneal abrasions, unilateral and bilateral, after having Vick’s Vapor “blown” into their eyes at close range through a nasal inhaler.

An 18-year-old man presented to the ED complaining of pain in both of his eyes after partying the prior night with friends at a club. While under the influence of ecstasy, a friend blew through the fenestrated end of a Vick’s Vapor nasal inhaler into the patient’s eyes from a distance of inches. The goal was to feel the cool, mentholated sensation in his eyes. He denies any contact to his eyes by the inhaler casing. He soon felt pain in his eyes and described a clouding of his corneas. In the ED, focal chemical injuries to the corneas were found. His visual acuity was 20/20 bilaterally. His extraocular movements were full. Visual fields were normal as tested. The fluorescein stain demonstrated confluent uptake, consistent with abrasion, on the inferior aspect of both corneas. The patient was seen by an ophthalmologist and discharged on Pred Forte drops and pain medication.

As mentioned above, I have seen multiple cases of corneal injuries after contact with Vick’s vapor blown through inhalers. The painful keratitis appears as a corneal defect that is likely due to chemical injury. This is possibly the result of direct irritation from camphor (approximately 4.8% in Vick’s Vapor Rub). Also, Vick’s contains small amounts of spirit of Turpentine, the vapor of which has been reported as a corneal irritant.

The subject of ecstasy abuse, with all night rave parties, and concurrent use of other drugs is well documented. This “designer drug” is synthesized in the laboratory and gives the user a feeling of enhanced pleasure, especially to sensory stimulation. Adolescents and young adults experimenting with ecstasy heighten their sensory stimulation by listening to “electronica” dance music, watching twirling glow sticks, and feeling the cool, mentholated sensation of Vick’s Vapor Rub on their bodies. This sensation is taken one step further by having someone blow the vapor directly onto their eyes via a Vick’s nasal inhaler. A review of the literature found no other reports of injury to the cornea sustained in this way.

1–5
Michael T. Brazda, MD a

aBaptist Hospital of Miami, Miami, FL, USA

References

1. Grant WM. In Toxicology of the Eye, eds 1993. 306. 1480, 1497–98.

2. Smith MB. In Handbook of Ocular Toxicity, eds 1976. 253-254.

3. Microdex, Inc., 1974–1999, Volume 102 Expiration date: 11/30/99.

4. Dahl AA, Grant WM. Unusual keratitis from a household remedy. Am J Ophthal 1969;685:858-862.

5. Jaiwal AK. Vick’s Vaporub induced dermo keratoconjunctivitis-A case report. Ind J Ophthal 1989;37:154.

Moral: Don't blow shit in peoples eyes, whether they're high or not. Jesus christ, it's like dealing with 10 year olds.

Ohhhh but it feels so good. Trust me, it's like a super-peak for 2 minutes. Your eyes just feel so extraordinary.

But I wouldn't do it every time I roll.

I was going to post this a while ago, but I figured only the mentally challenged were going to be blowing shit in each others eyes... obviously, I was wrong.

Mwahahah.... Another Jane Goodall moment. I have been constantly amazed by the things humans in general and drug users in particular are willing to try.

I've seen people blow this shit in each others eyes before. They look fucking stupid. Why the fuck would you want it in your eye?

I enjoy taking hits of it when I'm rolling, it's just an added stimuli that I associate with feeling good. I also like to take a few inhales from a vicks stick after I snort things. It causes the drips to come a little faster.

I can see why it would be nice in your eyes... and I could also see why jerking off in public could be fun... doesn't mean I'm gonna do either of 'em though.

BilZ0r said:
I can see why it would be nice in your eyes... and I could also see why jerking off in public could be fun... doesn't mean I'm gonna do either of 'em though.
Hahaha
I've never done this willingly before, but I have had the pleasure of someone doing it to me without telling me beforehand. I personally don't like it, it makes my eyes burn!

the vicks vaporub cream feels good as fuck when you rub it on your chest or any where omg, and the inhaler is alot better but they are both fucking firey