Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

A&E Channel buys rights to air The Sopraons re-runs for $2.5 million per episode

BA

Bluelight Crew
A&E bets big on 'Sopranos' reruns
$195 million cost could break network if show flops

Monday, February 28, 2005 Posted: 12:59 PM EST (1759 GMT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- A&E is placing a $195 million bet -- and perhaps its future -- on Tony Soprano's broad back.

The basic cable channel's recent purchase of rights to telecast edited versions of HBO's "The Sopranos" for a record-shattering $2.5 million per episode is the new year's most significant television deal. The reruns will start in fall 2006.

A rights deal for another one of HBO's crown jewels, "Sex and the City," has worked out well for TBS. But the price tag for "The Sopranos" has left many television executives wondering how A&E can possibly profit.

Court TV General Manager Marc Juris, who was outbid for the show, likened the deal to building a 10,000-square-foot mansion in a run-down neighborhood: "You will definitely impress a lot of the neighbors and make a lot of noise, but I don't think you'll get your money out of it."

A&E is staring down the naysayers.

"We don't do anything that doesn't make money," said Bob DeBitetto, A&E programming chief, "especially talking about that level of investment."

Rest of long article here.

Oh wonderful. Lots of "Flash you, flash hole!" and shootings that don't occur because of gore. Great. Sounds like a terrible idea. :\

Thats hilarious, in Canada they played them on CTV unedited for free, usually just before a new season starts. They also play sex and the city on Bravo or Showcase.

Yeah, lack of swearing, violence, and nudity. It won't be the Sopranos anymore :(

I really don't see how they would profit off of this. I agree with the comment that Sopranos won't be Sopranos. It's like watching Goodfellas or Scarface on cable.

Last edited:
I don't even like watching the edited Sex and the City. Edited Sopranos is really just pointless.

What I want to know is why Court TV was bidding on the rights. lol