Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

New marijuana laws in a.c.t

narcomatic

Bluelighter
Personal marijuana cultivation restricted
March 01, 2005
RECREATIONAL marijuana growers in the ACT will have to rip out three of their five dope plants this weekend, under drug law changes designed to combat organised crime.

The Simple Cannabis Offence Notice Scheme has allowed ACT residents either to possess up to 25g of dried cannabis or grow up to five marijuana plants for personal use, without being charged with a criminal offence.
However, ACT Chief Minister Jon Stanhope said organised drug traffickers appeared to have been taking advantage of the scheme.

"Recent evidence suggests that criminals are organising a large number of individuals to grow five plants each, then combining the harvest," Mr Stanhope said.

Advertisement:
"This is a particular problem when it involves hydroponically grown cannabis, which can yield up to five crops a year, each plant producing up to 4kg of drug in that time."

Under the Criminal Code (Serious Drug Offence) Amendment Act 2004, which comes into force on Sunday, recreational users will be allowed to grow only two plants for personal use, Mr Stanhope said.

Hydroponically grown marijuana will be banned altogether.

Police will also have wider powers to arrest people for possessing large quantities of chemicals that can be used to make illegal drugs, many of which can be purchased in any pharmacy or supermarket.

"In backyard laboratories these products can be turned into illegal drugs, particularly amphetamines," Mr Stanhope said.

"A range of new offences has been created to crack down on this activity."

Such chemicals include pseudoephedrine, commonly found in cold and flu tablets, phosphorus, which is used to make match heads, and safrole, a commercial and industrial chemical often used in deodorants and air fresheners.

The reforms also significantly increase penalties for commercial-scale drug offences.

For a large commercial quantity of cannabis – 125kg or more – the maximum penalty is now life.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,12410425-2,00.html

Well at least you guys can have plants... Up here in QLD we can't have a plant Nor can we even posess any Quantity of Cannabis. Pretty Slack!!!

These Laws should be Aus wide, sounds fair...

SpecTBK=D

Originally posted by Special-T.B.K
Well at least you guys can have plants... Up here in QLD we can't have a plant Nor can we even posess any Quantity of Cannabis. Pretty Slack!!!

These Laws should be Aus wide, sounds fair...

SpecTBK=D

It's NOT LEGAL.

It's DE-CRIMINIALIZED.

we can't have any plants in accordance with the law. This just means, if we are caught with up to 2 plants, outdoors, in pots, that we get a SCON which is either a $100 fine or comm. service or jail. Hydro lands you in the shitter. No permanent record if you get a SCON. Pity it doesn't come with jam =D

I can't believe they actually have a life sentence on the books for a pot offense. 125kgs is a shit load of pot, however if you ever get raided or caught growing you would notice that the cops regard all parts of the plant as illegal and will weigh it roots and all. For an outdoor grower 125 kgs of wet plant isn''t really all that much.

I read a story about a guy in the states who was caught at an early stage in a personal hydro grow. He was using a sea of green technique that involves using many small plants and flipping them into flowering early. He was starting from seed so also had to account for % of males. When he was raided he had 100 seedlings, however under the law each seedling was worth
$10 000 US dollars, making his small personal grow worth $1 million. He got 25 years and is serving it currently.

125 kgs of primo is really very unlikely to hurt anyone, will be almost entirely sold to consenting adults who aren't going to beat up their wives or random people at the bar after using it. 125 kgs would probably not last a major Australian city more than a day yet you could get life for supplying it. You wouldn't get life for rape, or for being a director of a company that knowingly defrauds investors of their life savings yet you could for being involved in producing the worlds most loved, most used and most harmless recreational drug.

I would just like to get in front of the policy makers of this one and ask what they think would would happen if pot was completely legalized here tomorrow, and then ask why they think that hasn't been the case in any of the miriad of countries that have coprehensively decriminalized cannabis in recent times.

Still seems fairly lenient considering its the nations capital.
I'm not complaining, I just think going form 5 to 2 plants isn't being tougher.
If they're advertising a move like this what reaction do they expect.
QLD has zero tolerance as do a number a states.
I agree it would be a better system if the same laws applied for every state.
Persoanlly, I think the Nickthecheese explains seems fair and could work in all states.

This makes me all the more glad I moved out of canberra. When I moved out about 3 years ago, I had noticed the cops were gettin more anal than usual, now it seems they are turning my ol burb into a mini fuckin sydney oh so gradually :S

I remember years ago when cops in my local area would let u grow plants if they were under fence height. Which was good with fence extentions. Ahh the good ol' days are gone :(

Peace Out

Dirty_Deed

I was wondering, since in a.c.t weed is legal then would i be able to smoke a bong outside the police station and hold up the bong and say cheers constable?

For TripsterC's benefit, here's the info which can also be found six posts above...
nickthecheese said:
It's NOT LEGAL.

It's DE-CRIMINIALIZED.

we can't have any plants in accordance with the law. This just means, if we are caught with up to 2 plants, outdoors, in pots, that we get a SCON which is either a $100 fine or comm. service or jail. Hydro lands you in the shitter. No permanent record if you get a SCON. Pity it doesn't come with jam =D

Just a quick Q regarding the law on plants ... is the fine only valid while the plant is growing in the ground ? I mean once u rip it out and dry it, wouldn't they simply weigh the plant matter and if it was over 25g (which is most certainly would be) charge u for a rather large possesion. Or could u tell them you simply grew it yourself in the backyard for personal use only and that you dont like to be involved with the black market?

I remember when this all started back in S.A. and you could grow 9 plants! If you got caught all they could do was rip them up and give you a $150 fine. Them were the days.. ah memories.

TripsterC said:
I was wondering, since in a.c.t weed is legal then would i be able to smoke a bong outside the police station and hold up the bong and say cheers constable?

You could certianly try. Please inform me if you do so I can have the camera ready to make millions from the footage that will result.

head>desk

Thanks pleo.

Still, it sucks they should pick on hydro. It's just another method of growing plants! my hyrdoponic tomatos will grow smashingly this winter =D

MaDMAn_Project said:
I remember when this all started back in S.A. and you could grow 9 plants! If you got caught all they could do was rip them up and give you a $150 fine. Them were the days.. ah memories.

it was 10 indoor/outdoor :)
ah yes, memories, we can have ONE outdoor now, thats wack.

4kg a plant?
who the FUCK came up with that figure. What is it with BULLSHIT over exagerations.

I bet the last million dollar drug bust was a school kid with a 10-pack.

Deformed_Neuron: 500grams is just under One pound. Two pound a plant is very realistic if ya know what your doing. Ya can pull that off one outdoor if ya treat it right.

peaked said:
Just a quick Q regarding the law on plants ... is the fine only valid while the plant is growing in the ground ? I mean once u rip it out and dry it, wouldn't they simply weigh the plant matter and if it was over 25g (which is most certainly would be) charge u for a rather large possesion. Or could u tell them you simply grew it yourself in the backyard for personal use only and that you dont like to be involved with the black market?

Bump^^

Any information regarding this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I'll third that. While I don't live in a state where said laws affect me I'm still interested in how such cases would be treated.