Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Sniffer dogs to help curb violence

BrisVegas

Bluelighter
Sniffer dogs to help curb violence

01mar05
POLICE dogs will be used to sniff out drugs in nightclubs under a plan to curb escalating violence in the Brisbane CBD.

Announcing a 17-point safety action plan to stem violence in the CBD, Queensland Premier Peter Beattie today said the dogs would be used to sniff for illicit drugs including amphetamines in nightclubs and other city hot spots.

The move follows a summit last Friday in which the increasing use of amphetamines, mixed with alcohol, was raised as a reason behind the incidence of violence in the city.

The plan is based on a similar initiative introduced in New South Wales that has proved successful.

Mr Beattie said he understood people would object to the move but called on the community to work with him.

"The Government is struggling with a very difficult social issue," Mr Beattie said.

"We don't have a magic wand here."

The plan also includes a crackdown on irresponsible alcohol advertising, a 3am lockdown on Brisbane nightclubs, more police and more liquor licensing officers.

The plan will undergo a 12-month trial after which a statewide plan may be introduced.

Link:
http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,12408958%5E952,00.html

I'm all for reducing violence in Brisbane but I'm not sure they're on the right track here?

yer i dont see how this has helped the gold coast in any way yet...

banish alchohol and send some quality md there. May help.

=)

all thats gonna do is stop dealers in clubs.

sure some pplz will still get drugs in

but just get off ya jaw before ya go ?

I thought this was the stupidest thing I'd heard in a while when I heard it on the radio this morning. Why are the people making the rules so out of the loop?8)

We've had 3am lock out up here in NQ for a while now. Its a fucking pain in the arse:\

i reckon if we just create some more violence, then Beatie mite change it back :D

Uhoh 8)

Considering the sheer extent of meth use in Brisbane I can't totally write off a link between phets and violence in the City. Thing is though, the city has been violent for the 7 years I've lived here. Just seems to be getting worse now that the vast majority of clubbers have migrated to the Valley.

The Valley scene is heavily MD* infested, thoguhthe city scene is not. I'm interested that they cite meth as a problem in the city, but I don't think dogs are the right way to handle it - we all know what a raging success they've been in southern states 8( City has always been full of drunken jocks looking for a brawl.

I'll be interested to hear where the dogs have been sighted (please, no confusion with security dogs - there's a clear difference) and what happens. Sad to see Brisbane finally go to the dogs, but I can't say I'm surprised. I'll be keen to see if they target ravers (whom they've previously largely left alone) or just go after the city types who cause the trouble.

Another classic example of the government having no idea on how to handle social issues that involve drugs. It seems to me this measure is simply a way to show that they are doing 'something'.

I doubt much will change in the long run.

smileyfish said:
City has always been full of drunken jocks looking for a brawl.

I'll be interested to hear where the dogs have been sighted (please, no confusion with security dogs - there's a clear difference) and what happens. Sad to see Brisbane finally go to the dogs, but I can't say I'm surprised. I'll be keen to see if they target ravers (whom they've previously largely left alone) or just go after the city types who cause the trouble.

I'd also be interested to see who they target and what part of the city the dogs are in.
We distinctly separatre the valley and city when talking nightlife shenanigans but the im sure the pollies see the whole greater cbd as the city (valley inclusive). I highly doubt they separate the two in their thinking when deciding where to send the dogs.
All they know is the city has clubs as does the valley, and both are full of drugs and violence.
I'm sure theyre more worried about places where the medias attention has been lately brandishing the city to be a violent place. If they make plan of action and let the media know about it, then it looks as though they are doing their jobs.

Personally, I don't think a whole lot will change.
Police don't have the man hours to make this a full on operation to go on forever.
They can't be wandering in and out of clubs with dogs, maybe walk the dogs around the lines and crowds gathered around the outsides of clubs on a random basis.
I still the think its all due to recent incidents.

We won't know exactly what they're plans are until anything is actually put into place.
Time will tell.

[Edit: Venue details removed. BT]

Last edited by a moderator:
i think this is gonna cause more problems than it is gonna solve. Think of the cab ranks at 3 in the morning. Drunks are gonna fight because they cant get anymore drinks. Pill/meth users are just gonna loiter around where ever the dogs arnt.

I think this will also kill the fasionable late entrance with most ppl wanting to get as much fun times in b 4 three oclock the kick out.

wonder how long this will last.....

There's been a niteclub curfew in Noosa for years. If you're not in by 1:30 you gotta know the doorman and if the cops are about even that won't work. For those who finish work late - in a tourist town that's quite a few - it can often mean it's just another night of missed shenanigans.

For the rest of the punters, it means getting your shit together and not intending to duck out for the remaining hours. It doesn't really worry us anymore, and although people still bitch, generally speaking unless a friend is running late it doesn't cause any concern

Those in the city have got it lucky. At least there's still 5 am closing. For us it's been 3 am since the underground bar closed some 12 years ago. While you're lucky enough to be able to walk out into sunshine, it's still usually pitch black after a night out here, and more to the point most people are still wired. Now what options are there at that time of the morning, other than of course to kick off a house party :\

phase_dancer said:
and more to the point most people are still wired. Now what options are there at that time of the morning, other than of course to kick off a house party :\

head off to your local 18 hole golf course. what else.

seriously though, I agree I don't see it posing much of a problem. Chances are it won't happen anyway.
There would be more problems to deal with in the valley / city area with that many disgruntled people intoxicated or under the influence of any drug.
There would be people all over the streets at 3am, instead the slow/er drawn out exits people make throughout the night rather than all at once.