Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

films: Movies Re-visited from your youth: crap or not?

Strawberry_lovemuffin

Bluelighter
I'm hoping this is not too obtuse a topic :D

My boyfriend bought "The Pirate Movie" on dvd just recently. It's that kitchy comedy from the 1980's with Kristy McNicol and Christopher Atkins based on Pirates of Penzance. He remembers absolutely LOVING it when he was younger (don't ask ;) )... but we watched it again and could only get through the first 20minutes.... I can't believe how unBEARABLY crap it is!

I know we all have fond memories of movies from when we were younger. Mostly, when you see them again the nostalgia overrides any concerns over outdated production and acting values. But occasionally, just occasionally, you come across a real shocker. Anyone had this experience?

Also, you can put any movies you re-visited which were still cool. "Big" with Tom Hanks would be one of mine - classic. (Also Labryinth of course)

i love the movie big.

my brother and i used to both work in a museum that had one of those oversized keyboards (it was in an exhibit about the science behind music). you have no idea how hard that scene must have been.

Speed- that old one with Keanu and Sandra. I loved it but can't sit through it now at all. Sandra gives me the shits!

A re-visited movie? DUNE. Not as impressive as it was when it came out but still good.

It, I always thought it was scary as a kid but not anymore.
Basketball diaries, I watched this at about 14-15 and remember really liking it but watched it again recently and thought it was sucked.

changed the title, hopefully more inclusive :)

Some GOOD movies which are forever young:

* Labryinth
*Dark Crystal
* Annie
* American Werewolf in London
* Big
* Splash
* The Lost Boys

Anyone have any more?

Good topic!

One movie that my opinion has changed of was ET. When it first came out I was very small and the movie actually terrified me. When the little boy (Alex?) first meets ET out at the shed my mother actually had to take me out of the cinema because I was freaking out. Later some silly relative even gave me an ET doll which I had to cover with a blanket so it wouldn't watch me at night when I was trying to sleep.

When I finally saw ET again as a teenager the movie struck me as sickly sweet and a shameless tear jerker.

Some ones from when i was growing up that are still awesome

* Big
* The Goonies
* Ferris Bueller's day off
* Pretty in Pink
* Stand by Me
* The boy who could fly
* The Breakfast Club
* The Never Ending Story
* 16 Candles

ahhh the memories!

Stand by me defo ! :D

Big trouble in little china
The back to the future movies
Indian jones movies

Rad

Watching the BMX teams "dance" just about killed me-- I can't believe I used to think it was so cool...8o

Breakin'

I remember almost wearing the tape out watching this on vhs so much when I was little. Even though the acting is crap, I still like the dancing and the music (including a much younger and unknown Ice-T). Lol-- watching this still gets me to shamelessly try to spin on the floor!

anything with Molly Ringwald.... Dirty Dancing first made me drool over a guy...sweet memories

How could I forget Dirty Dancing?!?!?! Oh my god. I have it on DVD and watch it all the time.

Definitely a keeper.

<3 <3

electreauxbella: good call on The Breakfast Club too.

michael said:
i love the movie big.

my brother and i used to both work in a museum that had one of those oversized keyboards (it was in an exhibit about the science behind music). you have no idea how hard that scene must have been.

i absolutely LOVED big. I can even reenact the baby corn eating/spitting scene perfectly LOL

I still love all my favorite movies et al when i was growing up ...Some kind of wonderful, breakfast club, Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink ( a bit cheesier than most tho)...Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Labyrinth , Ferris Buellers, Neverending Story!! , Lucas (does anyone remember this? it starred winona ryder and corey haim!) , Zapped (with Scott baio LOL), Heathers..shit too damn many.

AND THE LOST BOYS!!! SLM ....<3=D
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i even have the soundtrack and shit....=D
Id also like to add Goonies, the Outsiders, A room with a View , and About Last Night.

Originally posted by Strawberry_lovemuffin
How could I forget Dirty Dancing?!?!?!

agreed. plus, jennifer grey was so much hotter before she got her nose done.

breakfast club of course - showing it's age but the themes are timeless and the soundtrack is great.

hardly in my youth, but i'm a sucker for the slushy nonsense that is ghost.

alasdair