Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Shrooms in the fridge

hungry_lotus

Bluelighter
will mushrooms keep in the fridge for a few days after being picked?

they were picked on thursday and will be used on saturday night.

Any advice?

at this time of year? wow.. unless they were cubes

am yeah fridge storage is ok.. freezer better

they are cubensis and copolandia (blue meanies).

I have placed them in the freezer before and they seem to turn to mush!
So i put them in the vegetable crisper. its thursday night now and im hoping the keep until saturday night.

Unable to construct a drying chamber etc...

will they dry out or just stay as they are?

if you have hot dry air they should dry out reaonably well without any drying chamber.
I strongly recomend that as they go realy gross if you try to refrigerate them for a long time

Put them in a paper bag, and they will keep in the fridge for a week or so. Just like normal mushrooms.

Don't freeze fresh shrooms as the cells burst while they expand causing them to turn into a slugdey mess. If that makes any sense.

Get one of those machines used for drying fruits... works wonders on fungus, so I've heard!

If the cubes are too big to easily dry whole, cut them into slices and dry them in front of a warm fan, they'll dry quicker and shouldn't oxidise too much if you fast about it. I wouldn't leave them in the fridge too long, they do tend to off real easy...

Ive never had a problem with cubies turning to mush.. sometimes if im in a hurry i store the cubes from all my grows into the freezer and they stay fine for ages..

update

just an update guys,

the cubes stayed reasonably fresh and retained much of their potency whilest their counterparts (the blue meanies) turned to a almost a gross purple black paste and had no effect whatsoever.

I have learnt my lesson that is mushrooms are to be preserved, if even only for a few days, then a proper drying facility must be constructed....such a needless waste!

I found u gotta dry them and powder it, and then keep them in a air tight container in the freezer. It'll make the shit last for a year or more if u wanted it to. Tupperware is perfect for it :D

shrooms seasons?

I live around north nsw/south east qld and the only season for shrooms around here that i am aware of are for cubensis/copolandia.

Is anyone aware of any other species that are around this area and if so what seasons they fruit?

I've found that freezing mushrooms is a waste, they never have any effect. A good way to store them away for a later time is to boil them in a pot of water while they are fresh. I forget how long you need to boil them, but at LEAST half an hour, until the water turns into a blackish cola type colour.

Store the juice in a glass jar and it will last for ages!! When drinking the juice, just make up a cup of tea with milk and sugar and use the juice instead of water!! Works well and isn't too bad on the taste buds!!

Storing in the fridge for a few days shouldn't hurt so long as they aren't soggy or allowed to dry out too much. Button mushrooms are best. Place them in a bowl and cover with cling wrap.

Although it's been years since I've had mushrooms, I can vouch for the honey method if you're aiming to store them for months or more. A friend who really liked mushies used to pick heaps during the season. He kept them in mason jars filled with honey which lasted him till next mushy season. I don't ever recall hearing of any going bad.

phase_dancer said:
Although it's been years since I've had mushrooms, I can vouch for the honey method if you're aiming to store them for months or more. A friend who really liked mushies used to pick heaps during the season. He kept them in mason jars filled with honey which lasted him till next mushy season. I don't ever recall hearing of any going bad.

I have found that they have to be dried first, or you end up with a soggy, sticky mess. :(

Sorry for reviving an old thread...

But a mate of mine picked up 100 shrooms 1 weeks ago last friday, and then stored them in a paper bag then a plastic bag in her freezer. shes going camping this weekend, but according to some people here, the cells will turn to slush in the freezer? Does this mean (depending on the type of mushroom) that they are now use-less?
I havent seen her for a while, ill TRY my best to take photos within a week and post them up.

Oh, and btw, the juice is a very good idea indeed. Works like a charm. But do it only when you have quite a lot of mushies to "dispose" of.

ive started to use a heat and grow pad to dry mine out, works a charm too as it only reaches around 20 degrees. takes about 2 days to dry them with no noticable loss in potency.

Uras: I have to say that you did something wrong in your process. I've had mushrooms in the freezer for over 2 years now and they are strong as they day they went in there.

After having 20 very large blue meanies each, boiled into tea, and literally losing our minds for 6 hours (long story), we decided that we'd leave the rest for a week, and have a smaller dose, and guess they'd be a bit less potent.

We stuck a heap in a paper bag, in a sealed container, in the fridge for a week.

Cooked it up into tea, expected a mild dose, and once again, tripped balls.