Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

tv/film: Firefly Movie - Serenity

GlitchMike

Bluelighter
TV:Firefly Movie:Serenity

Ok, I'm hoping someone here will remember and like the show Firefly. IMO it was one of the best shows of all time, but it didn't even make a full season. Fortunately however the movie Serenity which I'm assuming will just pick up where the show left off will be releases in sept and I can't wait to see it, the show left way too many questions unanswered. Anyone else have an opinion?

It wasn't a bad show, interesting twist on space opera / western, but I thought it was a bit convoluted. Less characters might have been better, for once. I hadn't know there was going to be a movie, but I'll probably check it out. Can't hurt.

I just don't have a lot of faith in tv-to-movie movies. X Files went straight downhill after the movie. Maybe because this movie is based on a show that didn't make it a full season, things will be different.

I can kinda see your point, but I thought every character brought something important to the show, and after having watched all the episodes I can't think of any of the cast that I would want to get rid of.

True. But its very difficult to capture an audience if you can't get every character into the spotlight long enough to make enough viewers care. I agree though, lots of characters is interesting. But if you feed them to us a little slower, it's easier for each one to be a unique individual and for the watcher to learn their background. Otherwise it's a whole bunch of characters you only feel you sort of know.

It'll be even more difficult in the time frame of a movie to give us a better picture.

Don't get me wrong though, character driven stories are great, and the more the merrier.

You did have to watch a number of episodes to really get a feel for all the characters, but once you leaned the basic background the plots kept everything pretty interesting, let you know some new stuff alot but still kept alot of mysteries, like Books past was something I was really wanting to know more about. You're right about the movie though, within that time frame it'll be hard to give everyone enough time, and they'll probably try to explain everyones past for the people who never saw the show. Maybe if the movie does well they can bring back the series. I watched the DVD extras and it seemed like the entire cast would love to do it all again.

i've got the dvds of the show sitting here to watch (it only recently started screening on australian tv), and being a massive fan of buffy, i'm looking forward to watching them, then checking out the film.

joss whedon seems pretty happy with how everything's progressed with the film, so i'm anxious to see it :)

Firefly was brilliant, the only problem was that it was obviously designed to have a long story arc that extended over several series, but then Fox went and cancelled it because it didn't appeal to the lowest common denominator and cost more than all the crappy reality tv dross they're pumping out at the moment.

Yeah, FOX has a tendency to make poor decisions. Firefly didn't get very good ratings because it came out during football season, kept getting preempted and moved around, alot of people couldn't find it. Fortunately for me I had no life at the time and was able to be home all the time to see every ep

plus, i remember hearing that the shows were shown out of order. further complicating the story line. but i did love that show and was upset that it was so short lived. i might buy the dvds soon.

Fox didn't think the original 2-hour pilot had enough action for it to be the premier. The real pilot did a pretty good job of explaing what was going on and giving some background for all the characters

I cannot wait for this movie to come out. Joss Whedon is a genius, and Firefly is the best television series I have ever seen.

Everyone, get your friends hooked on Firefly. And then all go see the movie when it comes out.

If this one does well, they will make two more movies. And they might even put it back into a tv series.

^^^^
exactly. I keep trying to tell everyone I know how great the show was but it's hard to get people interested in a series that's been off the air for a couple years.

I discovered Firefly a few weeks ago as it just started showing in Australia. I am absolutely loving it, granted at first i though it was a bit strange and the only reason i hung the first time i saw it is because it had Joss Whedon's name on it and i'm a huge fan of buffy and angel. But now i'm obsessed, I absolutely love it and i've even been able to get a few followers who now watch it religiously since the first time i made them sit down and watch it.

onetwothreefour said:
i've got the dvds of the show sitting here to watch (it only recently started screening on australian tv), and being a massive fan of buffy, i'm looking forward to watching them, then checking out the film.

joss whedon seems pretty happy with how everything's progressed with the film, so i'm anxious to see it :)

You've got the dvds???? OMG I am SO inviting myself to your place to watch them when I move to Melbs....I hardly watch TV at all, but I have SO gotten sucked into Firefly....I can't wait for the movie!!! =D=D

I'm gonna get the DVDs soon, I've watched all of Firefly but I desperately wanna see it again.

If Serenity doesn't live up to Firefly I'm going to be so sad :-/

I just started watching the FireFly show and it kicks ASS! Check it out anyone and everyone, you will probably like it. Just make sure not to 'pop' into an episode or showing on TV, it's one of those that you really have to watch from beginning to end to appreciate. Just hopping into some random story makes it look totally lame and cheeseball but if you know some backround information it takes on a whole new kind of style. What a great flick. I'll be watching Serenity too, as well.

P.S. I did advanced search for 'Firefly and Fire Fly' and this was the only result I got. I find it hard to beleive there was never a firefly thread in TV/FILM so instead of posting a new one I just posted here. Perhaps someone could direct me to the original firefly tv series thread ?

There's a lot of discussion on Serenity in this thread. I didn't have TV at the time this show was on, but I got into it last year. I thought the entire concept was fantastic and a welcome breath of fresh air in the often stodgy and cliched genre of Science Fiction. It is definitely a very plausible prediction of the future. I found myself getting more and more pissed off that the show was hosed by Fox shuffling around time slots and airing episodes out of order so we only get one season of this great series. At least Serenity got made, which was one of the best action movies of 2005, if not the best.