• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television Peep Show

Neb

Bluelighter
I find this show absolutely hilarious,however wheneva I've spoke to any americans about it they say they dont get it.
Are there any americans out there that appreciate it?

i've never heard of it - when and where is it on? tell us more about it?

alasdair

Welcome to the private world of Jeremy and Mark - two very ordinary weirdos.

Wannabe popstar Jeremy is a lazy man with big ideas, mostly about himself. His old friend and flatmate is the astonishingly tragic Mark, an obsessive loser with a no-pain, no-gain view of the world.

In an inventive twist, Jeremy and Mark's inner thoughts can be heard - whether they be dark, stupid or embarrassingly over-blown. Or sometimes all three…

Full of cringe-making embarrassment and excruciating faux pas, much of the show's humour is best described as 'close to the bone'. But if you like jokes about onanism, sex, death, and misshapen genitalia - this could be right up your alley…

http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/P/peep_show/

It's on Channel 4 late on a Thursday night I think? It's somewhat akin to The Office in that it is your kind of theatre-of-embarrassment style comedy, but taken to new extremes with the introduction of seeing everything from inside the characters heads by hearing their inner monologue and seeing through often very harsh camera angles.

I think you can get series one on DVD now...

Yes! I love this programme but I honestly thought I was the only one who it was broadcast to :) I've never heard anyone else mention it. I keep meaning to actually find out when it's on because I only ever see it when I accidently find it and I forget to mentally note what day and time it is.

Ps. I'm not American either - sorry.

I got the first series on DVD today and i must say its fucking hilarious,best investment i've made for a long while.
It also set me wondering if our friends across the pond enjoy the show,as it is a very British style of humour.:D

".....she's paying in fear dollars!..."

LOL. That episode in particular is a classic.

so i finally caught up with all four seasons on dvd. season 5 has started and the first two episodes have been absolutely brilliant. anybody else watching it?

alasdair

I forget which Bluelighter turned me on to this show, but I am forever in his debt.

Peepshow is easily one of the best shows ever produced for television broadcast.

Out of respect for this show, I am going to name my firstborn Jeremy... even if it's a freaking girl... in which case her nickname will be "Big Suze".

Mitchell & Webb are the best comedy duo in ages.

Are Mitchell & Webb the guys who did numberwang?

Would you compare this show to League of Gentlemen?

I am very interested to learn more

Mitchell & Webb did Numberwang on their sketch comedy show "That Mitchell & Webb look".

While their sketch comedy is funny, Peep Show is entirely different. It is a scripted sitcom. Watching this show is like watching a trainwreck... a very very funny trainwreck.

here are some clips...

eggman88888 said:
Would you compare this show to League of Gentlemen?
not really. i mean they have certain things in common: awkward in a way sometimes only british comedy can be; scripted situation comedy; etc.

my advice would be to track it down from the start and watch it :)

alasdair

OMFG. I just finished episode 4 of series 5... after how many years, this show is still just as brilliant and uncomfortable as ever.

Here in the states, shows typically run out of steam after two or three seasons. Thank god the brains behind Peep Show are still just as disturbed as they were on day 1.

Sheer brilliance.

And I would like to change my earlier comment. My first born will be named Hans. Super Hans.

Absolutely brilliant show. Seriously the funniest thing ever. ever!

Mark's character is so fucked and yet sympathetic, and super hans is so fucking funny in his interaction with mark

I've just been watching the fifth season on youtube and the show is still great, although i wasn't crazy about the last episode (episode five).

I'm canadian, by the by, and I have many canadian/american friends who also love the show, so it's definetly not just english humor.

ego_loss said:
I forget which Bluelighter turned me on to this show, but I am forever in his debt.
*cough*
ego_loss said:
Peepshow is easily one of the best shows ever produced for television broadcast.
amen. %)

related reading: New Series of Peep Show - Friday C4 - 15 pages worth of EADD gibberings going back to 2005!

series 5 is airing in the UK at the moment. it's wonderful. :)

OH BY THE WAY: I OBJECT TO THE USE OF THE WORD 'ENGLISH' IN THE THREAD TITLE, PLEASE SORT IT OUT ALI :X

Last edited:
I'm American and I've probably watched 10 or so episodes on Hulu over about a year. I think it's a pretty fresh comedy with some hilarious scenes, and I recognize on a critical level that it's better than how often I've watched it would seem to imply, it's just that British "comedy of discomfort" is difficult to watch with any regularity for me.

I felt similarly, but more strongly, about Ricky Gervais' show "Extras" even though it wasn't technically British. I don't know if it's because I'm American, but the off putting thing about parts of some British or UK-themed shows for me is the seemingly mean spirited hypercriticality of them. It's hard to describe, but it's most obvious in a show like Extras where Gervais chases a somewhat shallow goal that only a few can ever possibly achieve, is humiliated at every turn, beats himself up for what's largely inevitable, and that's it. It's a very "winners or losers" sort of atmosphere that varies in its corrosiveness between shows where almost everybody loses and is disappointed with themselves and all the other losers no matter how contrived the terms of their failures are (and it's the contrivance of it that makes it more just plain viscous than what I tend to think of as justifiably challenging). A lot of newish British comedy is colored by this sort of willfully dysfunctional sadism, and it's often hilarious, but also exhausting, and it's matter-of-fact delivery often leaves me cold (though I typically love deadpan). I'm not sure if that's really representative of British culture so much, or if it's just a style of comedy pioneered by writers who happen to be Brits.

Reading this, it's probably hard to imagine that I'm actually a fan of the shows, but it's just that their bothersome quality is sort of subtle and takes explaining. American comedy has some of this quality too, but usually the characters are kind of cartoonish and the ridiculousness and self-sabotaging qualities of their worldviews and schemes is more foregrounded.

For some odd reason I can laugh comfortably for hours straight at Gervais' pod cast where he and Merchant skewer Carl Pilkington's every word and laugh manically and self-satisfactorily at their own jokes, though. Maybe it's because none of it seems to phase Pilkington, or because the unpredictable silliness of his ideas keeps me so off guard I never have time to think about it, I don't know.

Last edited:
Probably my favorite British comedy since the original Office. I've only seen the first two seasons but I've been meaning to catch up.

Relevant:

Shame the new series is pretty disappointing. First series is the best.