Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

courier mail-brisbaneo-01.04.2001- "my plan to end the drugs menace"

Samadhi

Bluelight Crew
I also posted this in media, busts and legal issues...I would post a link to this article, but they haven't included this article on the website...
Lord Mayor throws down gauntlett to Beattie
Brisbane Lord Mayor Jim Soorley has thrown down the gauntlet to premier Peter Beattie and Prime Minister John Howard on drugs.
He wants trials of new treatment programs, advocates injecting rooms and believes most drugs will one day be legal.
He admits there is no quick fix to an age old problem but believes current strategies are a dismal failure and the mindset needs to change.
"Politicians have failed abysmally. They don't have a clue, they don't care and they don't want to deal with it. The community has to take charge of its own agenda", he said.
"The concept that we can stop drugs is an idiotic, failed one. We are mimicking the American model which is totally discounted. You can't stop the supply of drugs. All you can do is take a long term view to reduce the demand, and for those caught in the middle, put in place strategies to minimise harm and keep them alive until they are ready to get their life together. We ned to embark on a serious program of education and awareness, openness and discussion. Ultimately, the illegality (of drugss) should be removed."
Cr Soorley belives Mr Beattie is in a prime position to begin drug reforms, but lacks the political will.
"We need someone who is committed, who will run the political risk and exercise some leadership, and I don't think it will come from Queensland. If I had control of the drugs agenda, I would do it tomorrow."
Cr Soorley is also disgusted with the Federal Governments new anti drugs campaign. "It's a disgraceful waste of money, a cynical manipulative political excercise to enable John Howard to go to the next election saying he's hard on drugs. The money needs to go into treatment, support and facilities."
One of Cr Soorley's key strategies is an alternative way to punish drug dealers. COnvicted pushers would forfeit thier property. "They lose the lot, all their assets. On top of that, you put a fine on them, say a million dollars, but that fine can reduced. The amount is halved everytime they dob someone in. These people are motivated by money, so lets give them economic motivation. They don't go to prison, what's the point?"
"From an econonomic point of view, what we are doing now is insane. It costs $53,000 a year to put a drug addict in jail, $12,000 a year to put them in a live-in rehabilitation center and $4,000 to have them on some sort of drug programme. An addict on the street would have to steal about $350,000 of goods a year to feed his habit. The cost of insurance and to the community is so high, it just doesn't work."
A major focus is establishing comprehensive tratement programs for drug addicts.
"Drug addiction is a disease and it could happen to anyone of us. My father smoked 100 cigarettes a day. Before he died, he had the best possible treatment. BUt if someone has behaved in the same way and got addicted to heroin, they are treated like dirt."
Cr Soorley has set up a $150,000 program to help rehabilitated addicts become employed byt the council. About 6 former addicts are involved.
"We've had a couple of failures, but the program is working well," he said.

Good to see somebody is trying to help... Just hope he doesn't get stomped on and gets a bit of support...

sorry bout double posts
p_d
[This message has been edited by phase_dancer (edited 12 April 2001).]

Some pretty damn good views, although I'm sure many people would be horrified at the thought of losing a house over picking up a few extra pills for friends!
Perhaps in Mayor Jim's model, drugs would be legal by this time, and no-one would have to worry again about the real dangers current non-problematic users face.
Substitution with other drugs
Health risks from unknown impurities
Potential of losing ones liberty
...to name but three.
How about more Queensland politicians expressing their honest views on such issues.
Mr Beattie you could do it, probably standing to gain many under 30yo votes!
phase_dancer