Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

This week's drug Discussion in the Victorian Parliament

Oceanboy

Bluelighter
For those interested in enlightening Australia to the Therapeutic uses of E and are interested in defending it in front of Parliament, this week is a Parliamentary "Drug Debate"
and the safe use of drugs in a therapeutic way needs your defence.
From Hansard JOINT SITTING OF PARLIAMENT http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/hans.html
20/03/01
Drugs: debate
Mr BRACKS (Premier) -- By leave, I move:
That so much of standing orders and sessional orders be suspended on Wednesday, 21 March 2001, so as to allow --
1. This house to invite Mr Neil Comrie, Professor David Penington, Dr Rob Moodie, Mr David Brunt, Archbishop Pell, Professor Margaret Hamilton, Mr Andy Hamilton and Mr Peter Wearne to attend on the floor of the house on Wednesday, 21 March 2001, at 3.00 p.m. and address the house on drug education and prevention and to remain on the floor, save in the event of a division, until the conclusion of the period allowed for questions.
*** DAILY HANSARD *** PROOF VERSION ONLY *** DO NOT QUOTE ***
Mr Neil Comrie and Professor David Penington to attend on the floor of the house and address the house on drug education and prevention for a maximum of 20 minutes each.
3. Dr Rob Moodie, Mr David Brunt, Archbishop Pell, Professor Margaret Hamilton, Mr Andy Hamilton and Mr Peter Wearne to attend on the floor of the house and address the house on drug education and prevention for a maximum of 5 minutes each.
4. At the conclusion of all such addresses, members of the Legislative Assembly and members of the Legislative Council be permitted to address questions to Mr Comrie, Professor Penington and the other expert advisers for a maximum period of 30 minutes.
5. Following the conclusion of any such questions:
(a) the members of the Legislative Council shall retire to their chamber; and
(b) there shall be debate on the motion 'That this house takes note of the addresses of Mr Neil Comrie, Professor David Penington and the other expert advisers'.
6. The Speaker to put the question at 10.00 p.m. (or sooner if there be no further debate) and the time limits for each member's speech, with the exception of the lead speakers from the government, opposition and third party, shall be 10 minutes. No amendment to the motion to be accepted by the Speaker.
7. After such question has been resolved:
(a) if the question was put at 10.00 p.m.
*** DAILY HANSARD *** PROOF VERSION ONLY *** DO NOT QUOTE ***
the Speaker shall forthwith propose the question 'That the house do now adjourn' in accordance with sessional order 5(2)(b);
(b) if the question was put prior to 10.00 p.m., the house shall proceed, in accordance with sessional orders, with government business as set down on the notice paper.
8. The lower public gallery on the opposition side of the house be deemed to be part of the Legislative Assembly
Did you read that last bit?
So if you want to have a say towards how drugs should be treated in Victoria ,its your sort of chance. It would be good to see some Bluelighter get up and tell the Victorian parliament how good e's are for society.(I'd probably go there but I'm not in Melbourne at present).Can you see the potential?
We'll see what hansard says for today;It hasn't been written up yet.More tomorrow.
[This message has been edited by Oceanboy (edited 21 March 2001).]
[This message has been edited by Oceanboy (edited 21 March 2001).]

Bump up
Is anybody here interested in how the legislators are defining the future drug legislation and affecting th attitude of the public?

How much chance to people in the lower public gallery have to say something? And how much weight would that carry with the rest of the Assembly?
Worth a shot tho... Any good public speakers who know what they're on about wanna give it a shot? ...not me, I'm shite at that kinda thing...
Wait a sec, am I reading it wrong or was that 'sposed to have happened yesterday?
Here's something from The Age which I think is what this is all about: http://www.theage.com.au/news/2001/03/22/FFXYF0DWJKC.html
[This message has been edited by Tarsarlan (edited 22 March 2001).]