• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

psychedelic movies , like far out man

genaro

Bluelighter
Just tell your favourite psychedelic movies here :)
...any movie that had a psychedelic / esoteric feeling...

Science-fiction, anticipation & fantastic movies:

2001 A Space Odyssey (by Stanley Kubrick)
...god, the origins of man, reincarnation, very psychedelic, beautiful images, very space.

Altered States (by Ken Russell)
...science fiction movie. Deep exploration of consciousness (with some weird imaginary drug and isolation tank sessions) leading to a creazy regressive experience...quite unsaine, strange psychedelic visuals, this was fun to watch...

Matrix (trilogy) by Wachowsky brothers.
...completely esoteric & psychedelic movie, lots of reference to esoterism, philosophy, religions & mythologies (hindouism & buddhism, nagualisme, christianity, kabbalah, greek philosophy & mythology...and so on and so on).

"Brasil", "12 Monkey's Army" & "Adventures of Baron Munchausen" (by terry gilliam)...
three wonderful movies with beautiful dreamy scenery & screenplay, completely delirious and surreal (all dealing with the connection/relationship between the usual reality and dreams)
Genre: sci-fi/fantasy

"Blade Runner" (by Ridley Scott)...
great science fiction movie with some very fascinating atmosphere (& very "space" scenary).

Dark City (by Alex Proyas):
I add this science-fiction movie only because I previously suggested Matrix, and "dark city" has probably been an inspiration for the matrix movie as the basis of the scenario are quite the same (an illusory world that appears like real to the people who live in it). Beautiful scenery by the way.

The Cell (by Tarsem)
...very nice movie about the human mind and madness. A girl entering the mind of a serial killer through an informatic program to understand him better...and help him to escape his fears. Very visually accomplished, lots of surreal dream sequences.

"Strange Days" (by Kathryn Bigelow):
...wonderful one too. About people, selling virtual memories of other people's lives.

Movies dealing about shamanism & mysticism :

Dead Man (by Jim Jarmush)
...the shamanic voyage of a dead man, with lots of references to the indian culture with cross parallels to the psychedelic culture through the poetry of william blake, a poete which has inspired the sixtees psychedelic revolution, beautiful music from neil young and wonderful images.

Blueberry (by Jan Kounen):
...the begining of the history is a remake of Dead Man, but then the movie takes another way. Deals about the "spirit world". Nice spiritual soundtrack and lots of psychedelic visuals in it. Nice one (but Dead Man is much better to my opinion).

Pi (by Aronofsky)
...kabbalah (mysticism)...& maths.

Freaky / dark and horror movies :

From Hell (by Hughes brothers)
...Jack the ripper's tale through opium, absinth & franc-maconnery, great images, very dark esoteric movie.

Hellraiser 1 (by Clive Barker):
Great horror movies with an esoteric context (puzzles, labyrinths, the leviathan's labyrinth=devil's labyrinth...). The monsters ("explorers of the unknown" as they call themself, "demons to some, angels to others"...) use suffering as a "psychedelic"...extremely unsaine (deeply sadomazoshist) & gore. Nice to watch but absolutely not while on psychedelics (possibbly traumatising lol)!

The Serpent and the Rainbow (by Wes Craven):
Aventure/Horror movie about the "zombi drug" among the voodoo culture. The main character spend the most part of the movie hallucinating (from ayahuasca at the begining, then from voodoo sorcery and then from the zombi drug itself ). Not a frightening movie at all, much more like a fun adventure movie, nice to see...

Psychedelic movies about the sixtees generation:

Apocalypse Now (by Francis Ford Coppola)
...the sixtees showed through the vietnam war, with great psychedelic music (doors, hendrix...), beautiful surrealistic scenes, dark/oppresive feeling, the human madness show.

The Trip (by Roger Corman)
...acid madness (a movie showing a single acid first trip).
Psych-out (also by Corman) is said to be a nice one but I haven't seen it yet.

Easy Rider (by Denis Hopper & Peter Fonda)
...the sixtees psychedelic revolution through a road movie experience, great music (steppenwolf, the byrds, hendrix...), beautiful landscapes, the spirit of sixtees.

What a Flash !
An experimental artistic movie from the sixtees. Curious.

Other movies I don't know how to classify:

Natural Born Killers (by Oliver Stone)
...extremely psychedelic, unsaine & very violent scenes, great music too (nine inch nails, cowboy junkies...) & lots of psychedelic imagery, reflexion upon medias & violence , good & evil, great movie ! ...possibly some subliminal images/sounds in it.
Just see it now !

Run Lola Run (by Tom Tykwer)...
A girl, Lola, running like hell because she only has 20 minutes to find 100000 bucks to save her boyfriend's life. Awsome techno music keeps playing during the all movie, giving an intense rhythm to Lola's race against the clock. Fucking trippy movie, very original, I enjoyed it a lot...and it's definitely awsome to watch while trippin (play it loud because the music is almost half of the atmosphere !)

"Barry Lindon" & "Clock Work Orange" (by kubrick)...
well that's kubrick: very good ones, very visually accomplished, great atmosphere... and if you enjoy horror movies then "Shining" by kubrick is a great one, terrifying!

A few David Lynch movies can be quite mind blowing, for instance:
"Mulholland Drive".

"Arizona Dream" (by Kusturica)...
not psychedelic but completely dreamy, beautiful movie (some kind of surreal metaphor about inititiation to life)
If you enjoy it then "Underground" is nice too (also by kusturica).

Psycho beach party (by Robert Lee King):
well no drugs in it, no psychedelic feeling but it's just a completely mad movie and so fun to watch while tripping.

Fight Club (by David Fincher):
Rebellion against the consommation society.
Very nice too, although not really psychedelic or drug related (note: clearly some subliminal stuff in it).
If you njoy it you might also want to watch "American Beauty" which has a similar touch.

Battle Royale (by Kinji Fukasaku):
Not psychedelic. A japanese movie (yes, japanese people make creazy movies as I love to watch), interesting reflexion behind it. Very violent. A must see I guess.

I also recommend watching Tim Burton movies which are absolutely not psychedelic but beautiful and completely dreamy, for instance: "Edward Scissorhands", "Sleepy Hollow" and "The Nightmare Before Christmas" are really nice.

Drug related movies:

Fear and loathing in Las Vegas (by Terry Gilliam)
... nice show of the freaks world, very fun, lots of psychedelic imagery, brings you back in the sixtees with a nostalgic feeling, the movie has also a dark & unsaine feeling (the adrenochrome scene for instance). Very nice soundtrack (jefferson air plane...)...possibly some subliminal images/sounds in it :\

"Trainspotting" (by Danny Boyle):
A young heroine addict working his way through life. Incredible movie, horrible, mad and also very fun...a must see!

Acid House (by Paul McGuigan):
one more completely creazy movie (it reminds me a bit of the "trainspotting" style). Just see it.

Human Traffic (by Justin Kerrigan):
A movie about friends & relationship, rave culure & exstasy, lots of sincerity in this movie, very good vibes in it to my opinion.

Spun (by Jonas Akerlund):
A metamphetamine addict messing around.
Creazy movie, quite unsaine and very "trash" as this movie shows life things that people tend to keep silent because they don't feel comfortable with it.

Animated movies and mangas:

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence (by Mamoru Oshii):
a wonderful manga (japanese animation), interesting spiritual concepts ( lots of philosophy behind dialogues) about the similarities between man and IA, the realm of consciousness and identity, very psychedelic, wonderful trippy imagery, and the soundtrack is just awesome. A must see !
Better see "Ghost in the shell 1" first as it's a very nice one too and then you'll have a better understanding of the second episode.

"Princess Mononoke" AND "Spirited Away" (by Miyazaki)...
two great animations from japan with some "psychedelic" (if I can call it this way) moments/images inspired from the japanese mythology (let's say the first one is inspired from japanese nature and warrior culture, the second one reminds me much of alice in wonderland).

Alice in Wonderland (by Waltdisney)
...from Lewis Carroll tale (some would think that maybe he wasn't so much of a nice guy), completely mushrooms inspired, very trippy, great metaphore of the psychedelic experience.

Fantastic Planet...
Nice psychedelic animated movie.

...And here are a few drug related Simpsons episodes (very fun!!):
"Selma's choice" (lisa on "acid" at disneyland)
"Missionary impossible" (homer licking toads)
"The Mysterious Voyage of Homer" (hommer into some castaneda inspired shamanic voyage after eating some halluinogenic chilli)
"Hippie hip hourra" (about hippies, shrooms eating...)
"Brother's Little Helper" (bart getting completely paranoid on some anxiety pills)
"Medicinal marijuana" (hommer on marijuana prescription)

Other nice mangas (not psychedleic but really good):
"Metropolis" (about IA) and "Akira"

Documentaries about shamanism / esoterisme:

Shamans of the amazon (about ayahuasca use among amazon indians)

Ibogaine, rites of passage (about iboga rituals)

Musical movies & documentaries:

"The Wall" of course (a pink floyd "video clip" movie)

The yellow submarine (a beattles "video clip" movie)

The film from "Woodstock" is also nice to watch (the video from the 3days festival)

I also enjoy rave related videos like the "Vision quest 2003" dvd (the video of the psytrance party) or "The last hippie standing" (about goa spirit from hippies to psytrance...)

I'll add more as I find new ones.

Last edited:
This thread might be interesting if you guys specified reasons as to why these films had an affect on you. Rather than just making a list.

"This reminds me of that drug trip I saw in that movie that time I was on that drug trip" :)

This thread might be interesting if you guys specified reasons as to why these films had an affect on you. Rather than just making a list.

right! I edited my post.
:)

seethe303 said:
The 5000 Fingers of Dr. T
I don't think many remember that one the kid Tommy Rettig was Jeff from Jeffs collie ( Lassie) and Hans Conried ( wrong way ) on GilliganIsland He was the voice of Snidley Whiplash in the "Dudley Do-Right" cartoons and the voice of Professor Kropotkin on the "My Friend Irma" radio show, he played Uncle Tonoose on the TV series "Make Room for Daddy"

THE YELLOW SUBMARINE

Also see The Wizard of Oz while playing the Dark Side of the Moon.

Spirited Away is also good.

i was thinking truley psy... not a plot just trippiness.
brian wilson came to mind as someone that has made them.
didnt the monkees make a crazy movie once/ that never really sold?

wanderlust said:
i was thinking truley psy... not a plot just trippiness.
brian wilson came to mind as someone that has made them.
didnt the monkees make a crazy movie once/ that never really sold?
HEAD this link has some cool pics
http://terryxart.com/Headpg1.htm

Last edited:
some explanations for my choices...

seconds one of the most paranoid ,psycedelic experiences ever, and a masterpiece of 60's cinema, deals with rebirth and death, relates very well to psycedelics and esp ego death, someone mentioned brian wilson earlier, brian became somehwat obsessed by this movie after taking acid, and started to relate to the protagonist a lot ..
…"the whole thing was there. I mean my whole life. Birth and death and rebirth. The whole thing. Even the beach was in it, a whole thing about the beach. It was my whole life…”- Brian Wilson commenting about the movie SECONDS

the presidents analyst best comedy about paranioa ever made, and sharpest satire on hippy culture, psycedelics, communes, politics, cold war,phone companies , wire taps and the 60's in general. the names were dubbed from CIA and FBI to CEA and FBR , as u can cleary see the lip syncs are not saying CEA/FBI , middle third of the movie is intensely psycedelic.

strange attractor maybe not a movie to some, more of a video project, but well worth seeing, rose x visuals, terence mckenna and lady kier from dee lite, nuff said=D

I heard about a psychedelic movie called "Alien Dreamtime". Has anybody ever seen it? What is it like?

alien dreamtime is a live performance by terence mckenna, wth sound by spacetime continuum and some digeredoo's recorded at a rave in san fran in 93, its split into 3 parts, explaining his theories about mushrooms and how they defeat the dominator culture, his first DMT trip,and his thoeries about time and novelty, its well worth seeing, its made by the same people that made " strange attractor" ( see my earlier entry) and terence stars in both, the visuals are a lote better in strange attractor than alien dreamtime. but as a whole alien is trippier,u can buy both as a double pack from amazon or tripzine.com and save a few bucks, well worth checking both out, alterenatly if u wanna dl just the sound from alien dreamtime look here...

archaic revival

alien love

timewave zero

skidoo... features flower children, jackie gleason doing acid in prison, and groucho marx as a drug dealer named god (he even smokes joints instead of cigars)

Last edited:
That's awesome! No one else ever mentions The Trip! I saw it late one night on television and it seems very few people have ever seen it.

Also, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind would throw me for a bit of a loop if I were on anything.

Waking Life!!! the animation is really really interesting. I put it on for my friends while they were tripping and it blew them away.

lol nice to see some fans of " the trip"here, the scene where he goes to the launderette is an absolute classic=D