⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

tv: Dave Chapelle: Get to work, Bitch!

honEbee

Bluelighter
"Chappelle's Show" Slowdown

by Charlie Amter
Dec 20, 2004, 5:55 PM PT

The upcoming third season of Comedy Central's Chappelle's Show is apparently only half-baked.

Work on the hugely anticipated new season of Dave Chappelle's sketch show is behind schedule due to its 31-year-old ringleader's illness and lack of new material from his writing staff, according to the New York Post.

The new season was supposed to premiere Feb. 16. It will now begin airing sometime in late April or May, per the Post.

"Dave--and his entire production crew for that matter--got a bit of a late start on writing season three," network spokeman Tony Fox told the newspaper.

Chappelle has reportedly been laid up with a nasty flu bug, adding to delays brought on by the lack of written material so far for season three. The Emmy-nominated comedy is currently on hiatus for the holidays and will resume production in January.

Last week, Paramount pushed back the season 2 DVD release--which had been slated to hit stores Feb. 8 to coincide with the new TV season--presumably due to the production slowdown. No new release date for the DVD has been set yet.

There was no immediate comment Monday from Comedy Central or Chappelle's publicist.

Since the offbeat sketch show debuted in January 2003, it has steadily built a large following. By the end of season two, the half-hour show was often pulling in more than 3 million viewers. The DVD release of season one currently ranks as the all-time top-selling TV show on DVD.

In August, Chappelle reupped with Comedy Central in a massive two-year deal, valued at $50 million by the Hollywood Reporter. The deal also set a new Industry precedent--reportedly giving the funnyman a large cut of backend DVD sales.

In addition to his gig at Comedy Central, Chappelle had been working on a book for Hyperion. No word on the book's status; there's also no word on the rumored movie deal with Paramount for Chappelle to portray Rick James in a biopic.

Prior to work on his new TV season, Chappelle had been overseeing a feature film/DVD project combining sketch comedy with footage from a Brooklyn block party filmed in September that featured a reunited Fugees. A 10-person crew, directed by Michel Gondry, captured the Chappelle-conceived event.

link

----

Damn it. I was looking forward to the new season and now I have to wait another two months or so. :X

And I'd love for him to do a movie as Rick James. lol :D

yea, his illness forced him to cancel his stand up show at the mohegan sun the night before the show :( I have to wait till febuary to see it now

Anyone know what's up with him in the Rick James movie?

I haven't heard much of it since Rick passed away.

^ i heard that it wasnt going through because of his death. i dont know if its true though i heard it from a friend out of nyc. so dont take my word for it. but i agree with TopRocka i havent heard shit since rick james passed.

hopefully chapelle gets off his sick ass and starts making us laugh again. i got the first season on dvd, i love smokin a joint and watchin em =D

i missed seeing dave chappelle in yellow springs, oh, by about 15 mins. a few weeks ago. he grew up there for some time, and still has a house there. a friend of a friend says that he smoked w/ dave one time, but i dont know whether to believe it or not. the funny thing was, me and my friend were walking around the town, and i said something like "what if we saw dave chappelle today?" and then about 20 mins later, we found out he was at a pizza place and we missed him by about 15 mins.

still waiting to meet and smoke w/ dave...

The lack of writing part of it doesn't surprise me at all. Some of their writers are horrible and come up with lame material. This is why i think the show was so up and down. Luckily the good stuff they did have made up for a lot of the corny and immature skits that they filled some of the episodes.