Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Drugs made me fat: Robbie

alexkid

Bluelighter
BRITISH pop heart-throb Robbie Williams, who has given up cocaine, Ecstasy and alcohol, says he would still be doing drugs if they didn't make him gain weight... Full Story Here

Personally, after a meth bender i lose about 5kgs - I certainly don't gain weight! Also I smoke a lot of chronic and im sure this makes me skinner than i should be!

How do drugs affect your weight?

Last edited:
Well the thing is everyone's metabolism is different. I don't lose any weight on speed - or if I do, I put it back on again within the next couple of days when I can eat again. That kind of 'yo yo' effect can have a negative effect on your metabolism, meaning if you're prone to putting on weight those little 'starvation periods' could actually teach your body to hold fat more efficiently during the times you do eat.

Another scenario is this: just say you're a healthy person. You jog, go to the gym, eat salads. You keep your weight down by doing all that. Then all of a sudden you get into drugs. You quit the gym, start getting too tired to exercise anymore, drink more alcohol, laze around on your ass during comedowns, eat junk food instead of doing your healthy meals (I'm not saying all drug users do this, but some may). I can imagine even the amphetamine-effect of speed (and to a lesser extent MD) wouldn't be enough to counter the 'fat ass' effects of that change in lifestyle.

I'm not saying it's just the drugs, but I have given up regular exercise since starting to take drugs, I drink more and I don't eat as healthily and that's definitely had a negative effect on my weight. Taking meth on a weekend doesn't make up for losing my focus on a healthy lifestyle.

Oh and I'd imagine pot could easily make you fat (munchies and so on), although I wouldn't know because I don't smoke it.

Maybe he was more referring to pot?

^ The article doesn't mention pot at all, just cocaine, alcohol and ecstasy.

Though, it's entirely possible the media has once again distorted the truth.

I personally don't understand why he would be gaining weight on drugs, when a lot of them actually suppress your appetite.
It says in the article however, that he began to use more once Take That broke up, which means he wouldn't have been on such a busy touring/performing schedule, leaving more time to laze around and get trolleyed.

Must be the lifestyle factor, which SLM mentioned.

"Some of the best times in my life happened under the influence of drugs. ... I'm not saying 'go out and do drugs, kids,' but I enjoyed them," 30-year-old Williams said.
I think that might be the best phrase that he's ever uttered.

BigTrancer :)

I think SLM summed it up perfectly. They are the exact reasons I was thinking.

Is it possible that amphetamine abuse prematurely ages your metabolism?
I know someone who put on a lot of weight when he eventually quit meth and he is only 19.

I have been smoking weed for years and im sure its done something to my stomach to the point where i can't digest food properly resulting in me being under weight.

alexkid: AFAIK some of the main natural (endogenous) chemicals in the brain that are involved with appetite are called... cannabinoids. Therefore when you smoke, your brain gets the signal that you're hungry, and you get the munchies... but if you smoke chronically (pun intended) then you may become accustomed to the influx of cannabinoids and not get the munchies anymore, or even further that your appetite is dramatically reduced overall.

BigTrancer :)

What the Fuck? Was robby on fucking drugs when he said that?
I, in the last 6 weeks since leaving my bakery and pretty much partying every weekend cause my mates have finished school. I have lost 11 kilos from my different substance abuse! I'm now lighter than I ever was and I intend on using to further reduce my man breasts!
The combination of pills n base and a liquid diet, I see myself reaching my goal of 90kgs by the end of january.
I've never met anybody that has gained weight from using mdma or meth!
I think robbys got a case of verbal diahareah and should wipe his chin.

completely off the topic, well not really since its about robbie but.

Robbie is hawt.

eKLaB: remember how fat elvis got when he ended up drug fucked? i just can't undertsand how it happens to celebs...

It's the life style, instead making themselves something to eat it's easier for them to get somebody else to go get some dominoes!
Woohoo! My 100th Post!

I don't know. But, I have heard and also read that alot of former cocaine addicts gain alot of weight after abstaining completely from the drug.
I'm pretty sure it's got something to do with the "reward system" in the brain.

See... as I understand it, certain chemicals, foods, nutrients, etc... release many different neurotransmitters. The celebrity you speak of has probably come accustomed to always triggering off that "reward system" in the brain. Whenever he/she toots a line of coke, they almost instantly recieve a mass of pleasure.
Then... they abruptly discontinue using chemicals and suddenly find they substitute their habit with food, say... as opposed to, a line of coke/meth... whatever.

Have any of you ever heard anyone use the "I'm scared of gaining weight if I quit smoking [cigarettes]" excuse before? Well, I personally think this whole weight issue would be a similar scenario (esp. with potent stimulants like Meth/Coke).

eklab if I were you I wouldn't use illicit drugs as a means of losing weight. Its fucking stupid. Anyone with any knowledge in the area of health, exercise science or similar areas would strongly advise you against it. Weight loss through substance abuse is by no means safe or healthy. It may not harm you short term but the long term effects are not desireable in terms of the effects on your metabolism.
I've said it before in other threads and there are a number of them on here about drugs and weight loss - Weight loss and gain is quite simple equation in general Weight loss occurs when energy output is greater than energy input. Meaning if you burn more energy through exercise than you put into your body through food then you will lose weight. If the other way around then you will gain weight. So even though you have lost a significant amount of weight through substance abuse as soon as you stop abusing substances and go back to your regular lifestyle you will put the weight back on. Weight loss requires a change in lifestyle that is maintained. This is why fad diets are just that FADS, because as soon as you go off the diet you put the weight back on because nothing has change.
My advice, get off your ass and exercise and eat a balanced diet. Drugs are not the answer, however I expect that most will take the easy (and temporary) path of drug use because it is easy.

Beech out

^^^ eKlab, listen to this man. substance abuse to loose weight is a train wreck waiting to happen :(
I can personally vouch for this. Using meth to lose weight was a terrible idea. Leaves you cracked out, addicted, irritable and paranoid. When your best friends begin to seem a lot like undercover cops you'll understand. Please heed this warning. It's a very dangerous/fine line you're walking :(

Also, exercise feels awesome after the first week or so. You get a real kick out of it and you'll feel REALLY great about yourself. Like getting A's in school. You put in the hard work and you get the satisfaction of the results :)

Oh and please dont take my previous post as me being nasty or flamming you. I dont mean it to be like that. Its just it really worries me when people go down the drugs to weightloss path. I've seen many do it and worked with those who have taken it too far to recover from it. My background is in exercise science and prescription and health behaviour and I all too often see and new fad diets and methods of weight loss that are totally innapropriate and dangerous, so it kinda annoys and worries me when i see people take off on something that if they stood back and just thought about for a minute would realise that it is quite clearly a bad idea.

Beech out

I think you may have slightly misunderstood what I meant. People's idea of substance abuse varies, I call my once every fortnight use of meth/mdma substance abuse.
I didn't mean I was simply going to eat meth n pills for the simple fact of losing weight. But under my current diet and my w/end use,which is pretty much restricted to w/end use,of what ever it may be(alcohol being out of the question) sweating off a little extra with the help of those substances wont fkn hurt!
When you've had man boobs since the age of 10 anything is worth a try.
It's also a mind over matter! Since losing this weight I've never felt better!
Fuck I dont even get come downs anymore!
I think your doing what seems to happen all to quickly on this board, sterotyping me or branding me too quickly just by a simple post, instead of standing back as you say and having a more indepth look at my situation.

Of course everyone has a different opinion on what defines substance abuse. I wasn't suggesting you were munching down pills and meth every day.
And no your wrong about anything being worth a try. Anorexia or bullemia are also ways of losing weight, are they worth a try? I hope you come to the answer of 'no' to that question.
Your not "sweating off a little extra" with the help of these substances, your supressing your appetite through a dangerous means thus lowering your energy input whilst possibly increasing your energy output. I'm not suggesting that its going to kill you or something as drastic as that but it is not at all good for your help and yes it will 'fkn hurt' at some point down the track.
It sounded from your original post that you were quite excited about using drugs and a "liquid diet" to get your weight down and had lost 11kg in last 6 weeks of substance abuse, so that would suggest more than once a fortnight use. All I'm saying is thats its not a wise path to take.
Of course you probably don't have much cause to listen to me as I'm just some random on a message board but hey the smart money says I'm right and know what I'm on about.
Just one other thing, say you get down to your desired weight of 90kg by end of January, what are you going to do then? Continue to use drugs to regulate or weight? Wait until you put on weight again and then use drugs to take it off again? Or are you going to adopt a different lifestyle? At some point if you wish to maintain lower weight than you currently are you are going to have to make lifestyle changes. Why not start now and do things the healthy and safe way?

End Preaching

Beech out