Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Drugs during Uni

Glory Days

Bluelighter
Hi all, I'm new to the threads (although I have been reading them for a while) and just thought I'd say hello. However, I was rather curious about how many drug users out there are currently studying or have finished studies at University? I recently graduated from High School a few weeks ago and was accepted into a law and business degree next year and was hoping some of you would be able to share your opinions with me about what it's like to take drugs during your vocational studies - whether it's a good idea and if it really effects your grades?!? I wouldn't really call myself a big drug user as I have only been smoking weed for a few years (and am planning on cutting down), have only done XTC a few times recently, and am thinking about doing it more often as I find myself getting quite interested in the rave scene and because I'm on a three and a half month break am thinking about maybe trying acid and shrooms.

Appreciate the feedback. Cheers.

I try to limit drug use to the holidays - it's only two lots of 16 weeks - not that difficult. I've given up a full time job to go back to uni, so I'm not there to stuff around. I normally find that a weekend of partying takes me a few days to get over & I can't afford to not have a clear head when doing assignments etc. Also, my short term memory takes a bit of a dive for a little while after using MDMA - not the best thing for uni.

Using only in the hollidays then makes it like a reward for hard work during semester =D

I just finished my undergrad, going into a masters degree. I found that regular meth & ecstacy use lead me to struggle with my concentration during lectures which I found very frustrating.
The trick is to give it at least a few weeks between plays. Also, being in 1st year - while it will be difficult, don't drink 5 out of the 7 days in the week...... No good comes from that.

Hi,
Im studying a Telecommunications Engineering degree and have entered what I hope to be my final year. (5th year)

I have used drugs consistantly over the period of my degree. During the later 3 years I think that I would be struggling to find a day I didn't use a drug. This has increasingly effected my results. In my 4th year I failed a number of classes, I atribute this to cronic drug use. But hey I have had a blast, some may frown upon it but Im happy with were I am in life and enjoy the uni lifestyle and hence am in no hurry to rush on to the inevitable next stage in my life.

From my exerences I strongly urge you as a school leaver to enjoy your drugs but don't let it become a daily event. Regarding acid and shrooms, I find them to be intelectual drugs and don't think they will effect your abilities to study in any large degree. The drugs I feel have effected my academic progress are:
Methamphetamine -cronic everyday use-easy to do if you study on it. Sure it good to start with but wait a year.....
MDMA and friends (MDA etc) - Don't push it to hard, no pub night does NOT mean rave at the pub =)
Morphine -to a degree, but only while your on it
ALCOHOL -yes alcohol, this should be at the top of the list Benzodepines (spelling?)
Pot/Hashish -Only Cronic use effects me but everyone is different

Hi i've just finished first year uni and i agree that to concentrate in lectures is definitely harder after a big weekend so i try to limit ecstacy/meth consumption to once a month. Took each usually twice a month in year twelve and did fine, but you have to be more disciplined at uni cos there's no-one there forcing you to work so you need to be motivated, well i do anyway. Unfortunately for me that means massive binges in the holidays, way two many 3-5 day benders recently... Realistically if you are on top of your workload then it's all good, but don't let it affect your grades

There is also a College and University Forum here at BL in the community section if you're interested.

BigTrancer :)

considering you will taking pills on mostly weekends, i dont see a problem in performance, i am in the final year and Ecstasy hasn't changed my studying.

on the contrary, weed on a daily basis did affect me a lot. it's just something that i wouldn't do anymore when i'm attending uni.

Yeah just knocked off my first year of a combined commerce law degree. This was my first year taking drugs, mostly pot and pills. Didnt fail a single subject, got fucked up every now and then, missed a shitload of lectures but came out all good. Just make sure your drug use doesnt fuck with your job. Without a job you got no money. Without money you got no good times, without good times you get bored then you get desperate and then bad shit can happen. Everyone is different man. If you think you're smart enough to handle then go and do it. I know a lot of people who cant though.

fcuking_in_heaven said:
. This was my first year taking drugs, mostly pot and pills. Didnt fail a single subject, got fucked up every now and then, missed a shitload of lectures but came out all good. If you think you're smart enough to handle then go and do it.

Agreed, i've maintained a basically credit average while going out hard every weekend and barely ever attending lectures rather spending my days smoking weed and sometimes doing other drugs. All i ever do is clean out during study week/exam period and sometimes mid-semester if i have a lot of assignments and exams close together. My experience is most first years drug takers or not rarely start an assignment more than a couple of days before its due and don't study for mid-semesters till the day before and only study for finals during study week, first year uni really isnt that hard. That said some people struggle even though they go to all the lectures and put real effort into assignments put these people aren't necessarily 'cut out' for uni and often don't finish their degrees.

Last edited:
"My experience is most first years drug takers or not rarely start an assignment more than a couple of days before its due and don't study for mid-semesters till the day before and only study for finals during study week, first year uni really isnt that hard"

Man seriously this does not only apply to drug users , almost every student is like this especially first year.

I partake in mdma and good old mary jane during uni and have basically a distinction average. I do mdma every month or so during the uni peroid and do not find this hindering my studies much if at all. I used to smoke weed fairly often go to lectures stoned etc but now mainly keep that to the weekends , the main way in which weed hinders my uni work is that i will not do any if on it or got some at home cause ill just smoke it.

So i would say that it is quite easy to still enjoy your drugs whilst still do well at university but make sure you do the work. First semester is always hardest because you just do not know what the fuck to do and how it all works, after this it because considerable easier.

Best luck to ya mate
Joe

I think it really depends on your goal at uni. Are you there to just get a degree (that is, not fail anything and get to the end?). Well drug use during semester, if in moderation, should still be ok if you monitor yourself as others in this thread have said.

I'm actually pretty glad that I didn't even try anything until end of 3rd year. My goal was to get distinctions or high distinctions in every subject - basically I was studying non-stop through all weekends all of 3 year to do this. There is no way I could have done that whilst consuming much of any drugs (alcohol included). But then, I've always been a bit of a nerd when it comes to studying ;)

Your head needs to be in good condition to study well. It's really that simple... I think the idea of abstaining throughout the semester and having a nice party in between is the way to go if your grades matter to you :)

I'm with Tronica on this one. I've tried it every way - caning it on the weekend but attending all my classes; caning it too often and needing lines before class to do presentations (bad idea, aunty!!); and finally saving the drugs for the holidays. The last way worked best for me but like Tronica said, it was about my goals - I wanted to do better at school so some things had to change.

Personally I found that bender at the end of the semester so much more rewarding than getting messed up every weekend and feeling guilty about underachieving. It's really a personal decision. Lots of kids take drugs occasionally at Uni and graduate just fine - just don't get carried away and drop out altogether ;)

bill joe said:
"..most first years drug takers or not..."

Man seriously this does not only apply to drug users , almost every student is like this especially first year.

Yeah that was what i was trying to say as well, by "most first years drug takers or not" i mean "most first year students, whether they be drug takers or not drug takers..."

Hi.

I've done three years of a double degree.

If I were you I wouldn't take ecstasy at all during the term. In my opinion it makes you a bit stupid for about a week and you don't need that shit at uni. I don't really take ecstasy at all any more, but when I did I only did it during the holidays and I'm glad I did so.

I don't think acid really makes you stupid...it can make you a bit weird the next day but I'd be comfortable tripping during the term, just as long as I didn't have to do any brain work for the next couple of days. It doesn't really screw around with your short term memory or anything, but I find it hard to get into "normal" mindsets (like the one required to do academic work) after tripping.

With regards to weed, my advice would be to only smoke once or twice a week and never if you have to do any work or anything the next day.

With that in mind, I have to say that I smoked a shitload of weed during the last semester, sometimes up to five days a week, and I managed to do pretty well. It was more of an effort though, and I made sure that I had at least one day break between any weed smoking and any assessable work. Smoking the day before you have to go to lectures can take it's toll, but I did it and was okay. I'm not encouraging that though...if I had more self control with weed I'd have smoked much less and might have done better at uni.

I have to disagree with the "if your smart enough to pass just go for it" angle. As I think I was/am(?) pretty inteligent and have no problem getting my head around multivariable calculus or advanced computer architecture. But after a 3.5 year drug binge on everything nature and human invention could throw at my brain, I have to admit my grade have suffered.
So everything in moderation I say....

Note: I must say the real trick is to keep up the study. In my 4 years at uni I did very little lecture attendance and NO study/problems preparing for exams (ie. Never done a problem for the subject before sitting the exam..)
So I strongly urge school leavers to do the drugs but also do the study and get the good work habits all sorted out.

satricion said:
Hi.

I've done three years of a double degree.

If I were you I wouldn't take ecstasy at all during the term. In my opinion it makes you a bit stupid for about a week and you don't need that shit at uni. I don't really take ecstasy at all any more, but when I did I only did it during the holidays and I'm glad I did so.

I don't think acid really makes you stupid...it can make you a bit weird the next day but I'd be comfortable tripping during the term, just as long as I didn't have to do any brain work for the next couple of days. It doesn't really screw around with your short term memory or anything, but I find it hard to get into "normal" mindsets (like the one required to do academic work) after tripping.

With regards to weed, my advice would be to only smoke once or twice a week and never if you have to do any work or anything the next day.

With that in mind, I have to say that I smoked a shitload of weed during the last semester, sometimes up to five days a week, and I managed to do pretty well. It was more of an effort though, and I made sure that I had at least one day break between any weed smoking and any assessable work. Smoking the day before you have to go to lectures can take it's toll, but I did it and was okay. I'm not encouraging that though...if I had more self control with weed I'd have smoked much less and might have done better at uni.
This is me... me shares my views... it's scary.
=D
I've found if I pill during the semester it means a week of doin' fuck all work which means you're a week behind (which, more than likely, you won't catch up on), which means more fucking around during exam time.
I always cram come exam time, as majority of uni students I know do, but it's a lot easier with a clear head
PEACE

I've just finished my first year studying psychology and criminology and managed to pull of good grades (high H2a average = 76-79%). I didn't do pills more than once or twice a month and mainly did them when I'd finished a major assignment/s and had nothing due for a while, this way I didn't matter whether or not I was a bit fucked mentally for a few days. I kept weed for just the start of the semester and maybe once or twice a fortnight during semester but mainly smoked when we got back from a night on the piss meaning the next day was a right off so being hazy didn't matter. The drug that will probably be consumed by youthe most will be alcohol - go nuts at the start of the semester and when you don't have work due but don't drink much during study for exams. I lived at a college so we drank ALOT often when semester started drinking everyday for the first week and a half and then at least twice a week during semester. If you can go hard and still pull of good marks then do it - but as you say you're a law business student then i suggest you keep up too date with your studies and study regularly. Uni is a hell of alot of fun so enjoy as best you can but always remember that your their to get your degree and that is the most important thing

if ur fairly new to the drug scene, in terms of e, id suggest that it may not take all that much to give u a good time... me and friends are also fairly new, got into it during that 3 month break between uni and school, and some of us have continued to during uni.. if on a sat night, u can have enough to get u pilling, but not fucked, sleep all of sun, then i find im sweet to get through the week, without losing concentration (or more than i would normally).. guess it depends how much it effects u- id say im not scattered after mon coz i dont fuck myself over regularly..hehe dunno if makes sense :) good luck :)