• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Allergic Reactions to MDMA, Urban Legend or Fact?

GoNeGoOsE

Bluelighter
I was talking to a friend today and the topic of allergies to MDMA came about. This friend IS allergic to many everyday substances (a skin test has been conducted) and grows allergic to more and more everyday substances (the most recent one being large amounts of vinegar and almost had to be admitted to the hospital)
(Please know that i have searched erowid and ecstacy.org and found no detailed explanations OR studies in relation to this topic and since the "search" function is not working...)
I vaguely remember statements like these when i was first researching E before my first dosage.
"1 in every 10,000 ppl are allergic to E and have died from it"(my memory is not that good and common sense would say that LOTS of ppl would have dropped dead, i want to know if there was any truth to this statement)
"People most susceptable to this condition have been linked to allergies to some form of peanuts (or nuts) or an extract (oil) of nuts"
Now, i have JUST read pinger's post in the everybody read thread (Aust drug discussion) and found NO SUCH mention of any type of allergies or any documented deaths due to such allergies.
Could someone please refer me to a site or give comments on this matter?
I suddenly remember this and am quite curious into the effects of allergies and MDMA.
[This message has been edited by GoNeGoOsE (edited 10 December 2000).]

AFOAF has a severe reaction whenever she has strong mdma pills. I don't think it a psychological thing, she gets really nauseous and passes out every few minutes for a minute. Often ends up in hospital.
I don't know any details tho.

Dancesafe have a little on it.
I think its a deficiency in the enzyme which metabolises MDMA; and hence a strong pill will cause such a person some problems.
I think, but dont quote me, thats its similar to people taking MAOIs (prevent the breakdown of serotonin, get serotonin syndrome - dangerously high levels of serotonin); in that a normal dose of MDMA is to them an enormous dose of MDMA.
Such a person i would think would have similar problems with many substances. Kinda like people on MAOIs, they cannot even eat cheese, let alone have MDMA!
------------------
[This message has been edited by Biscuit (edited 11 December 2000).]

there would be someone, somewhere that is allergic to mdma.. as there is with basically everything.. but 1 in 10000 sounds a bit much.. there would be a lot more people being hospitalised if 1 in 10000 were allergic.. and since most accidents with e are thru dehydration (not the e itself) then i guess there would only be a handful of people allergic to ecstacy.. and the odds of them trying it would be pretty low as well..

AFOAF was recently taken to casualty when she had taken, for the first time, a strong MDxx pill. she had already drunk half a bottle of scotch, and the "friend" giving her the pill, even tho he knew it was very strong and it was her first time, said "nah dont take half, take the whole thing"...she threw up copiously, went white as a sheet, began having mild seizures and started babbling uncontrolably.
the doctor was told what she had taken (which btw you must always do) and he said that this was a typical reaction by someone who was allergic to MDMA. he said only an extremely few people have this allergy and that the allergy extends to some forms of anti-depressives (my friend wasn't sure if the doctor said MAOIs or SSRIs or both).
she is fine now. she was actually considering therapy and anti-depressives before this happened, and i guess one good thing to come out of it is that she knows she has this allergy now, and won't discover it part way into a year long course of prozac.
BUT it still does not excuse the stupidity of taking a whole strong pill under those conditions. can i please ask everyone here who might be introducing a new friend to MDMA over the coming holiday season to please take the utmost care.
99 times out off a hundred you will be introducing your friend to a beautiful new experience. BUT if you do it like the "friend" did above, you might be spending NYE in casualty, or perhaps even a jail cell.
merry christmas...
------------------
"i think i'll stick to drugs to get me thru the long, dark night of late-capitalism..."
Irvine Welsh