Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Ecstasy in the days of old.......

Webster

Bluelighter
After a heavy nite last weekend, I arrived home for the usual come-down ritual. A joint, a walk to the servo, and some music.
So, plucking a CD out of my collection; Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique, I plunked it in the discman and blundered off on the 2 km walk to buy smokes.
As I neared the shop, I heard some lyrics that I swore had the word "ecstacy" and skipped back. The lyrics, as I heard them were "I had a beautiful experience on ecstacy" and seemed a little out of place for the Beastie Boys.
So, upon getting home, I inspected the year of the CD - 1989. "Hmmm I wondered, I only thought e was a post-grunge drug". Who would have thought it got it's first roots in amoungst the coke-ridden mess of the 80's??
So, what I'm wondering is....does anyone else know of any references to e before grunge? (BG)
I wonder how this tread will go.....

hmmm.. interesting point.
have a look at these:
Not a pill report. Book on history of E Culture...
History of MDMA? My findings...
though i think you are interested in more the history of mdma's cultural influence...

Beastie Boys - Car Thief
"I smoked up a bag of elephant tranquilizer"
is the preceeding line
THAT SONG IS MY FAV BEASTIE SONG EVER!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

You aint nothin but a car thief that must be stopped..
The Beastie Boys were into all sorts of drugs back in their pre-buddhist days. This is often why they don't play many songs off the Pauls Boutique album when performing live, since they don't promote drug usage anymore...

and plus when you say post-grunge, are you implicating that Pauls Boutique is a grunge album or something?
sorry if I have no idea what exactly your referring to, but yeah
biggrin.gif

I would believe that Ad Rock had a beautiful experience on ecstasy back in 1989, think about the pills back then... or was it just powder?

first musical reference to e i can find is in the Soft Cell albums "Non Stop Erotic Cabaret" and "Non Stop Ecstatic Dancing" from 1982.
maybe a few disco records had some veiled references before these albums, but these were the first blatent examples.
"Memorabilia" has a rap on it done by their New York dealer, a grrl called Cindy Ecstasy.
read about all this and more in "Altered State: The Story if Ecstasy Culture" by Matthew Collin and John Godfrey.
post grunge indeed.....

it makes me laugh when all these raver elitists look down at us cookie monsters who attend raves because our sole purpose in coming is to get "fucked up"...
when acid house and raves started back in those early days, they were there to enhance the drugs. People were there solely to enhance the drugs (back in those days LSD was more prominent) so whats wrong with doing it these days??