• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

List some good Martial Arts movies

honEbee

Bluelighter
My picks: Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai", any Bruce Lee movie, and "Drunken Master".

Has anyone seen "Zatoichi"? I've heard it's good.

Hmmmmm . . . . .

Seven Samurai is one of my favorite movies.

I liked Hero for its "over the top" style

Favorite Jackie Chan movie is still rumble in the bronx.

But my all time favorite martial arts movie is shaolin soccer

Iron Monkey Two, with Donny Yen is the supreme martial arts movie.
The "evil lord" character in it = That E-honda character off Street Fighter except horizontal flying attacks.
The "hero" gets help from Wong Fei Hong's dad, and together they have a showdown on top of wooden poles with fire underneath as they battle 2 v 1.

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is one of my all time favorite movies
Fist of Legend
the Once Upon A Time In China series
Drive

I have yet to see Seven Samurai

honEbee said:
I haven't seen any of the original Zatoichi films but I rented The Blind Swordsman - Zatoichi last week and really liked it
I thought the cinematography was beautiful
story and action were good

most of the blood and a couple of sword cuts were done with CGI
which made for some cool moves

I was surprised by how cool the music was
there are a couple scenes where the music is being made by the people in the background (farmers using their hoes in the field or carpenters hammering and sawing wood)
very cool

Plenty of people talk shit about Steven Segal, but his earlier movies were pretty fucking awesome (the martial arts, not the plots).

There is a little known movie called Lone Wolf (the graphic novel and comic books "Lone Wolf & Cub are based on the same story) that was banned in the US, you can still find copies to download on-line sometimes... but it's really a lot of scenes spliced together from an old TV series.

Ok uumm I will start of with this question:

WHEN IS ZATOICHI GOING TO BE RELEASED IN AUSTRLIA???

I am dying to see that movie.

Check this film out -> Ong Bak - Thai Warrior (Starring Tony Jaa)

A martial arts movie to look out for is from an upcoming action star in the making who is said to overtake the likes of Jet Li, Jackie Chan and surprisingly Bruce Lee, and this man is called TONY JAA!

The movie is called Ong Bak - Thai Warrior! And apparently he uses hardly no strings or effects in the film and man if thats the case the martial arts that he does in this film is off the wall SUPREME, check it out! This guy is going to be huge!

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/ong_bak-tlr.html/

We are talking martial arts and no one mentioned Kill Bill??? Fucking excellent movie!

Any Bruce Lee movie obviously, he pioneered what's done today, and without all the special effects. When you realize the skill he had in coming millimeters from the people in the movie he was supposed to be fighting, and the amount of control he had over how realistic it looked, just incredible.
I never really liked any Jackie Chan movies for some reason.
But Crowching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was really good. Also I thought Hero was cool.
Other than Bruce Lee, I usually prefer an older UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) vid, the ones when Gracie was still competing, if I'm in the mood for some martial arts. Most Blockbusters carry a zillion of those UFC vids if you've never seen one, its really cool seeing so many different styles of training and different sized fighters going at it. Or maybe I'm just weird, but I used to train in a few different arts so I find that stuff really cool.

wanderer21 said:
We are talking martial arts and no one mentioned Kill Bill??? Fucking excellent movie!

Opps! Kill Bill is a kick ass movie. I should have mentioned it.

A lot of movies have awesome martial arts fighting in them but they are not "martial arts" films. Just look at "The Matrix".

Anyone notice that everyone no longer just swings and punches (street fight) in movies anymore? Everyone seems to be a martial arts expert. Just imagine if Lord of the Rings used martial arts fighting. 8( (I'm so thankful that it didn't!) I think that's why I prefer straight martial arts movies for the most part. It's more believable that they would use that specific type of fighting. The two main exceptions to that rule would be The Matrix movies and Kill Bill. It really works with those.

If you like samurai movies, watch the Lone Wolf and Cub series. I hear Darren Aronofsky, of all people, is remaking it. I like his films and all but there's really no need to mess with perfection.

honEbee said:

I can't recall the name of the movie, it was probably just called "The Blind Swordsman" since it was an american film and starred a non-asian in the lead (B-movie master, Rutger Hauer)... but the story was transferred to film way before "Zatoichi".

Back in tha' day I used to like that flick "Bloodsport", even though it starred Van Damme... the movie was loosley based on the true story of the first european, or "white" champion of the underground tourney.

loved bruce lees - drunken master.

and who could forget street fighter and mortal kombat. lol

Old school kung-fu at its best!

Born Invincible

Master Killer

Iron Monkey

5 Deadly Venoms

Return of the 5 Deadly Venoms

Fists of the White Lotus

THE perfect weapon featuring jeff speakman it came out in 91 it was sweet for the day
then
double impact one of van dammes best movies came in the 80's i believe

Kill Bill sucked as a movie, but it did have some fun characters, and the fight scenes in the Japanese restaurant were fun.

Kill Bill... face it, it is as much a martial arts movie as is the matrix.. sorry.

Zatoichi is amazing, some of you might have seen it as 'Ichi the killer' in earlier dub i think.. great stuff.. also: Twin Warriors and The Hero

Bloodsport, staring Jean-Claude Van Damme!=D

The plot blows, but it's entertaining and cheesey. I love it. Kickboxer isn't nearly as good.