Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film: Das Boot

jpgrdnr

Bluelighter
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082096/

Just thought'd drop a Das Boot appreciation thread, for those that may not have heard of the film.

The premise is a crew and its captain fighting convoys in a u-boat(german sub) during the end of WWII/Hitler's part anyways. But if you can stand subtitles go
rent it.

I rented it recently and am sort of thinking it might even be my favorite movie...I think I have to buy it on dvd.

I think its one of the strongest character movies going, and some of the best acting ever. Some of the best filming as well.

It's an awesome movie with a great soundtrack, and probably one of the most pioneering ones for filming in cramped spaces to communicate that claustrophobic feeling. :)

This is my all time favorite war movie. Make sure you get the directors cut and if you can't understand German, for god's sake don't get the dubbed version. Das Boot sounds so awesome on my home theatre, how this lost to ET for the best sound Oscar awards I'll never know. IMO Should have won the best director oscar over Ghandi. Some of those shots where the camera is following the nazi crew through the u-boat when they were called into action were quite revolutionary. Pity most of Wolfgang Peterson's subsequent films suck beyond measure.

A great, great war film and not even nominated for Best Picture. One interesting thing about this film. You do see a few red flags, but you never see a swaztika anywhere. The is because it was made in Germany and it is outlawed, even in anti-WWII film such as this.

There was a swastika at the end scene I do believe when they roll into port.
At least on the director's cut.

I'd have to dig it out again to check, but I could have swarn it wasn't visible in the final scenes.