Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Sydney Meeting Minutes- finally

Milkybar

Bluelighter
Okay, I started a new thread 'cos it's rather lengthy (sorry it took so long- I'll have to sack my secretary).
Bluelight Meeting 11 October 2000
Minutes
Rollcall:
Vido
XSI11V
Yaytima
J-swift
TwoUp
Finn
Milkybar
What was discussed:
1. Issue raised by atomica on BL re: mainstream media-perceived credibility of bluelight pill-testing considering the pro-drug nature of the bluelight site. We agreed that there was validity in atomica’s argument- we weren't ashamed of BL, we just wouldn’t want to come across as promoting drug use, and that is how it might look to most outsiders after a quick squiz at any one of the bluelight threads. The solution we came up with was to first establish a credible image for our group (which might have to be named something other than bluelight) by distributing harm-minimization information at events and clubs, before even thinking about going near any pills.
2. The main topic raised was the pamphlets- what should they contain, what should they look like, where would we give them out etc. XSI11V said he knew someone who could print them. We established that we wanted them to be something someone could take home and read during their comedown/recovery.
Ideas for content:
- effects/dangers/precautions
- ‘What is Ecstasy?’
- recovery info and advice
- information on EZ test kits, where to get them, tips on using them effectively
- a comic, or something to lighten the mood a bit, something entertaining and catchy
- a few different web addresses that contain a range of different information on ecstasy: bluelight.ru (aus/nz/middle east drug discussion), erowid, government sites that outline legality, rights and criminal offences, etc. The point being to make the pamphlet a well-balanced source of objective information that is concerned with harm minimization rather than condoning the use of drugs.
3. We also talked about what the next step was. Finn and Milkybar were going to speak to promoters they knew about getting permission to hand out pamphlets at clubs and events, other BL’ers are encouraged to do likewise if they can. We talked about trying to get sponsorship too. The next step in terms of going further into pill-testing was to find out what our legal standpoint is on the issue. Since Milkybar has the number for Paul Dillon of the Australian National Drug and Alcohol Research centre, she was going to ring him and take it from there. Paul had in the past expressed that he felt there was some need in the dance community for something along the lines of what we are trying to do. If we can get support from ANDA that will obviously help our case considerably.
The general consensus about getting permission/support from regular club nights was that if we presented our group as a way by which promoters/club owners could help to keep their club as safe as possible, and therefore out of trouble and the eyes of the media and the law, they would be happy to have us there. Basically, our presence there would make them look like responsible club owners.
Further on down the track we thought it would be a good idea to even hand out little post-party recovery baggies of vitamins, and even 5-htp if it was legal (?) and we were sponsored.
4. We finished the meeting at about 10.45 and decided to wait until we heard the news from Melbourne before actioning anything else.

** recovery baggies **
...hehehe id like one of those
smile.gif
They dont even sell that 5-htp stuff in the shops tho (as far as i know anywayz, feel free to cut sik at me if im wrong
smile.gif
) itd be pretty weird if they allowed you to hand it out to random ppl, wouldnt it?? (i dont know im just guessin
smile.gif
)
Anywayz what are sum thingz we could do to help?? (i dont have any big connections or nothin hehe, sorry!)
Howz about for the name just dropping the "blu" and calling it elight or sumthing, enlight maybe?? haha i dont know just making sum silly suggestions.
Well thats all from me, sorry wasnt very helpful hehe.
BTW good work to everyone involved!
smile.gif
** smile **
smile.gif

------------------
** the happiest of people dont necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way **

Congrats on making moves on this project, sydney people! Just quickly on the 5-HTP thing, it's not legal to sell in Australia last time I checked, but I don't think there's a problem with giving it away. Possession of 5-HTP is legal to the best of my knowledge.
BigTrancer
smile.gif

------------------
I don't want to sound paranoid, but just consider how much of what you're writing could help send you to Jail.

great work guys
smile.gif

sounds like a productive meeting. hopefully us wollongong peeps can make it up there next time... uni work sucks
frown.gif
ahh well.
take it easy,
Bigfoot Dragon