Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Stimulant Psychosis

Zaineaol

Bluelighter
I have an ex girlfriend who is a diagnosed schizophrenic, and on medication.

She also has an addiction of sorts to amphetamines.

In her case, it's like Bad vs. Evil, the two don't mix well together, as both produce psychosis at times. It has become clear that at smaller doses, and much faster, the onset of psychosis occurs.

I've seen dellusional paranoia without drugs, so i know she's real about her schizophrenia, and i've seen the medication, not that i can remember the exact names of the drugs she is on.

I've been reading up on the condition of Stimulant Psychosis, and here is a few facts from a website i found:

AMPHETAMINES
Amphetamine psychosis is a toxic reaction closely resembling schizophrenia that may occur after chronic, short-term, or single large-dose amphetamine use. Onset of symptoms with IV usage can occur within 30-75 minutes. With oral ingestion, the syndrome may be seen within hours in apparently sensitized subjects by as little as 55 to 75 mg of dextroamphetamine. Characterized as a paranoid psychosis, the syndrome was first described by Young in 1938, six years after the introduction of amphetamine as a decongestant and narcoleptic (Young and Scoville 1938). Presentation In 1958, Connell (1958) published his classic study of amphetamine psychosis in 42 patients (27 males, 15 females) which represented the first large sample that described this syndrome. He conducted a structured psychiatric and drug history interview of these patients, who had been hospitalized because of violence, suicide attempts, and requests for police protection. Twelve patients reported being chased by a gang; another ten complained of persecution of one kind or another. All patients provided extremely detailed information about their paranoia. Importantly, Connell noted that it was difficult to nearly impossible for an experienced psychiatrist to differentiate between amphetamine psychosis and paranoid schizophrenia. Over a third of the patients on whom drug histories were available received the drug from their physicians for indications that included fatigue, depression, "pep," and obesity. The doses that produced the reactions were coarsely estimated as ranging from 50 to 1687 mg. Among this group, doses of greater than 500 mg/day were common. Although the majority of the patients developed the reactions after prolonged drug use, nine (21%) developed psychotic reactions after a single dose or a large dose divided over a three-day period. The entire series consisted of patients ingesting the drug orally. The most important clinical sign of the toxic psychosis was the lack of disorientation in these individuals and positive schizophrenic-like symptoms. Delusions of persecution, in 34 (81%); hallucinations, in 29 (69%); ideas of reference were present in 26 (60%); auditory visual hallucinations, in 21 (50%); tactile hallucinations, in 5 (12%); and olfactory hallucinations, in 4 (10%). In the 35 patients on whom information was available, 77% recovered in six to seven days. The most obvious symptoms of withdrawal were dysphoria followed by sleepiness. Angrist and Gershon (1969) described 60 amphetamine-related admissions to Bellevue Psychiatric Hospital in New York City. The patients had been using oral or IV amphetamines for a mean of 3.7 years (once to 20 years) at a mean dose of 166 mg/d (20-800 mg/d). Table 1 shows the primary presenting symptomatology in the patients. Table 1. Presenting symptomatology of 60 amphetamine psychosis admissions. Paranoid-hallucinatory psychosis 19 (32%) Paranoid psychosis 13 (22%) Hallucinosis 4 (7%) Suicide attempts or gestures 4 (7%) Bizarre behavior 4 (7%) Exhaustion 3 (5%) Barbiturate overdose 3 (5%) Emotional lability 3 (5%) Destructive outbursts 2 (3%) Assaultiveness 2 (3%) Bell (1973) was able to produce an amphetamine psychosis in 12 of 14 patients dependent on amphetamine within usually 30-75 minutes of the start of an IV infusion. The dosing endpoint was when the blood pressure increased by 50% of its resting level. All except four of the injections were concluded within an hour while the remainder were terminated within 75 minutes. Total doses of 55-640 mg produced paranoid delusions in 12/14 (86%) of the subjects. The paranoia was mild in most subjects. Many tried to conceal the fact that they were experiencing a psychosis. The constant features were paranoia in a setting of clear consciousness, ideas of reference and ideas of influence. The psychosis lasted from 1-2 days in 9 cases and for 6 days in 2 cases and 26 days in a patient who was actually covertly ingesting his own amphetamine "stash" while in the hospital. Auditory hallucinations were reported in eight (57%) while visual hallucinations were reported in five (36%) patients. On recovery all except two of the 12 who had become psychotic described auditory and/or visual hallucinations. Interestingly, all 12 while intoxicated attempted to conceal their psychotic symptoms, even when it was clearly evident from their abnormal behavior and speech that they were psychotic. Importantly, no evidence of delirium was noted in any of these cases. This is of forensic importance in that intoxicated patients may be paranoid and hallucinating but not disoriented, confused or having memory difficulty.

Thats some breif information i found, and i found it to be quite conclusive with what i have witnessed.

On another spectrum, is my 16 yr old friend.
He is tremendously over weight (last weighing in at 124kg) he is about 173cm tall.

He first smoked crystal meth-amphetamine on my birthday, 2nd of June 2004. Since a terrible addiction occured, dispite my attempts to lure him away from the drug.

I recently moved away from the town in which we lived, but i still have frequent contact with him.

The last week, he has smoked (with a crack pipe thank god), 4 grams of meth, and purchased 5.7 (please don't remove these numbers, as they are facts important to my story). On the sunday, he was comming to visit me, with the remaining 1.7grams of meth.

On the sunday morning, i called him, as soon as i woke up, to make sure (yes i wanted meth too, so don't tell me im lying) he was okay, and to get him to come over, we talked for 2 hours. During that time, he told me many things, part of our conversation goes like this:
"They're outside man!" said friend X
"Who man?" I reply
"Them, i don't know who they are.." - X
"Dude, i doubt there's anyone there, you've been awake for 4 days" - Zaineaol
"I know they are there, i can see them" - X
"MAN there is no one there, ur probably expieriencing psychosis dude... remember i told you about it last night, when i said to get some sleep" - Zaineaol
"Bro, they are there i know it, they want my meth!" - X
"X, go out side, i guarantee there is no one there! No one is gunna take ur meth, just trust me man" - Zaineaol
"Fuck man, they're gonna run thru my house! i know they are, they've been outside for hours" - X
"Dude, they arn't there, i gotta go, and go back to sleep for a bit" - Zaineaol
And i hung up

I re-awoke, and called back at about 9:00am, his symptoms had seemed to get better, but not by much. Throughout our conversation, i talked him into leaving the house and going to the train station to come to my house.

When i contacted him 2 hours later, he told me that they got him, they were really there - which they were not.
He then came to the conclusion it was not them who got him.
His story goes something like this:
"I left my house, and got around the corner, u know, near where ur old house is. Some guys came up and asked me for a ciggarette, i've never seen them before. The letterbox next to me was smashed up, so i got a brick and pegged it at him! I thought they were after my meth!"
"About 3 of em' crash tackled me, and they called the cops"

The police got him, and his 1.7g of meth, and let him go!
They took the meth, called his mother, and thats all, they didn't even tell his mum what drugs he was on, she knows he smokes pot, and is cool with it, but not speed and meth, she'd freak.

Anyway, in light of this, has anyone who has expierienced, or dealt with someone in psychosis, tell me your thoughts, and expieriences.. it'd be appreciated, i'd like to learn more about the condition!

I have a freind who stayed up for 5 days smoking ice which some freinds. and on the fith day he went nuts and thought his freind was going to kill him and his girl freind was an assasin working for his freind in fact he thought that every body living at his house 5 share mates in all were spys working for his freind and were going to kill him. I had alread skip a court hearing once on some on drug related charges and he rand up the cops and told than what he thought was going to happen to him and told the cops he had skiped his court hearing so the cops came and put him in jail for 3 months

lol... ur friend went well over the border of psychotic...
I was under the influence if u were 'inasne' at the time of committing the crime, wether it be a drug induced psychosis or schizophrenia, or any mental illness, you have the right to plea insanity, and basically the only thing you can cop is drug/alcohol councilling and/or a trip to see the psychiatrist and a mental home :)

Party Safe

Staying awake any longer than 2-3 days is asking for trouble. Psychosis is a creeping affliction, you never notice it until someone shakes you and tells you its insane your oven is whispering about how it is going to burn the house down. Seriously, Get Sleep. Know when to stop taking meth... Or at least cross the road and buy a bottle of Jack Daniels to sort yourself out with. Don't push the envelope. Seriously.

Zaineaol - i thought if u were temporarily insane due to a drug induced psychosis, the court would allow leave until you are fit to face trial. Anyways the courts see drug intoxication as just intoxication and since it was self inflicted i doubt you would get a slap on the wrist and that doesn't excuse the crime you committed.

Furthermore, for me it only takes 2 days (48 hours) on meth, and i start to get paranoid, and get twisted thoughts, hearing/seeing shit that isn't there e.g. police. But driving in this state is kinda scarey, you feel like a F1 driver, and you gotta get away from the other cars not noticing that you drifting around corners and being wreckless.

Best thing for psychosis is sleep, benzos, or anti-psychotics (just in case).

Stimulant Psychosis is exactly like what -Thoth says, if you have some realy friends around they would hopefully help you out. Even if it meant a trip to the hospital for a while. The ramifications of prolonged drug induced psychosis without medical assistance can leave some nasty long term effects with you....

lorenzo_benzo: That was my belief as well, Zaineaol can you provide a refference about that? I thought that you would treated in the same way as a drunk driver who kills some people. The fact that they are under the influence does not excuse the crime.

Dude... i've never put my self into psychosis, and don't plan to, i value my sleep.. this was in regards to my ex girlfriend and a good mate...

mongman: i have no reference, it's just hearsay, i believed it to be - somewhat - true

Zaineaol i have been in temporary drug induced psychosis if u have some more specific questions i can try and answer them.

On the sleep thing, when i went psychotic i had only missed one night of sleep. i had been heavily using meth & dexies for about 3 or 4 months so was pretty sketchy all the time then one evening i had 50mg of dexie bout 5 hours later at midnight i had a big dose of MDA then 5 hours after this i had .5g of speed, half snorted half bombed i wasn't too bad bout noon the next day though my hands were shaking. The trouble really started when i went by myself to some bushland near my house and started smoking cones and smoked like atleast 10 cones, one after the other, i dont know why i had so many i just kept packing and smoking for no reason. At some point during smoking i started hearing voices in my head i thought were people watching me and talking about my smoking. I kept smoking as i thought they didn't care but as i was going to leave i thought they said they were calling the police and i became too scared to go home thinking they would watch me, find out where i live and have the police around there. I started walking then i became convinced that some people who live nearby and were out watering their gardens talking to each other were the ones who were after me and i started shouting at them about why were they after me i hadn't hurt anyone etc etc so they called the cops and i ended up getting arrested and charged with possession.

I also hear a friend of mine freaked out paranoid and all she was doing was smoking cones the morning after taking pills (and she hadn't hadn't gone crazy on the pills either just one big dose). In comparision iv been awake 4 or 5 days in a row due to meth use (not continous, ill often stay awake another day or two after stopping using) and never even got particulatrly paranoid, sketchy yes - thinking people were looking at me and stuff but no voices or feelings of impending doom so im not sure sleep has a that big a role in triggering psychosis.

lorenzo_benzo said:
Furthermore, for me it only takes 2 days (48 hours) on meth, and i start to get paranoid, and get twisted thoughts, hearing/seeing shit that isn't there e.g. police. But driving in this state is kinda scarey, you feel like a F1 driver, and you gotta get away from the other cars not noticing that you drifting around corners and being wreckless.

Best thing for psychosis is sleep, benzos, or anti-psychotics (just in case).

When my case came up infront the court the judge specificially asked my lawyer if the psychosis was the reason i was so unco-operative with the police (i was extremely unco-operative i refused to even say my name even though i knew they knew it and was going to have to spend the night in a nearby jail coz they couldn't bail me without me saying it but they got my mum in to talk me into giving my name) and he also mentioned the letter from my psychiatrist confirming his diagnosis i was in psychosis, i ended up getting a light sentence so im pretty sure he would have taken it into account. I remember from legal studies at HS they did change the law that had allowed people diminished responsibility if under the influence after some guy got a slap on the wrist for raping a young girl (like 14 or something) when drunk but i thought i heard on the news recently people grumbling about a guy getting off light when he'd stolen a car and hurt some people because he claimed he was in drug induced psychosis....

Last edited:
Yeah... my old DD got off a lot of charges thru claiming drug induced psychosis , and having a good lawyer!

I've suffered paranoia, but it's usually due to setting - if i feel uncomfortable in a place - which i am comming down, i seem to cop these evil paranoid thoughts... like i think that every one hates me and shit... so i just want to leave.. and get really dissociative towards people. It all seems to end when i get home though... or im with someone like a best mate, that i feel safe around. I've never copped full blown psychosis.. but from what i have seen, i don't want to.

Thanks alot dabb for ur input :)

^ Ah, yeah. If an accused person is suffering from a mental disorder which deprives them of reason and understanding, the mens rea ('intention to do wrong') necessary for criminal responsibility may be lacking. If an individual lacks the capacity for choice or voluntary action, it follows that, under the law, he or she should not be held responsible for performing a criminal act.

However, I think it's quickly approaching the point where "I was high on drugs, I couldn't control my actions and had no conception of right or wrong" is no longer an excuse for committing any crime. I think there were articles about this recently, but I'm struggling to find them.

BigTrancer :)

Do you guys think that the major contributor to pshycosis is the drugs, or the lack of sleep??

mrephedrine69: read my exerpt in my first post... the amphetamines can do it them selves...

Drug induced psychosis in schizophrenics is much scarier.. they go WILD... my ex tried to bite me coz she thought she was a vampire...

I think psychosis is caused by an imbalance between adrenaline and dopamine, with the former going disproportionately higher than the latter. This can be fixed by taking tyrosine.

Samson said:
I think psychosis is caused by an imbalance between adrenaline and dopamine, with the former going disproportionately higher than the latter. This can be fixed by taking tyrosine.

Could you possibly post a source to back that up ?

He states "I think", thats more than enough to say it's his point of view, ld50 u need to stop MODERATING everyone, and just be the bluelighter you are, BT/CM/p_d are here to do that - if they needed you, they would have stated so - no doubt you would make an excellent moderator, and i'm guessing it's what you are trying to achieve, but lighten up a little - we're all here to learn, and take part in a discussion.
My point being, if we were at a table, smoking a few cones or what ever, and this topic were to arise - would you immediately step up and say that without stating your point of view on the matter?

Samson: Your point seems completely valid, and makes sense. It may seem a little hypocritical but could you do a lil research and provide me with some reading on the matter? all i have found is a couple of few page documents, and none of them have come to that conclusion at the end.
Tyrosine... what does it do? never heard of it, i'm guessing it's an anti-pyske drug. Honestly, the best thing for someone in a drug induced psychosis is sleep - and the drug i know that WILL cause sleep, Largactyl, i took one of these once when i was peaking, and decided i wanted to go to sleep - 35 mins in i felt really stoned, and passed out, i awoke to my friends offering me a lift home, and when i tried to stand up, i passed out, and i repeated this process several times along the way home, right up until i woke up long enough to hand my friend the key to my house so they could get me inside, and fell asleep until 9pm the next night. They give the stuff to criminals in prison when they get a bit to rowdy, renders them completly fucked for a good 18+ hours

Thanks everyone for your input

I've taken Neulactil (Pericyazine) which to my understanding was the 'drowsiest' anti-psychotic as perscribed, 5mg for sleep and it made me feel a bit off and didn't help me sleep at all then i took another 20mg and it was extremely uncomfortable its hard to explain why but it sorta felt like i was dieing not in a painful way but it was horrible i just wanted it to end, i also still couldn't sleep till the effects started to wear off like 2 hours later. Even so i do keep a 50 pack of them in the draw and will take some of them if i ever got really paranoid, like i knew i was approaching psychosis and the benzos i also have for emergencies weren't working properly.

Thread Cleaned

1. If you have something to post, make it on-topic.
2. If you post a 'fact', reference it.
3. If you have personal comments for another BL, send them a private message. This isn't Social.

BigTrancer.

Lack of Sleep!

Psychosis, Lack of Sleep + Impure Drugs.

Sleep is usually the major factor, although I have seen a friend lose it after only .15 Methamphetamine, Sleepless for 2 nights and some Major PURE gear (Long Cook)!

So Who knows! If its Meth related, Iodoephedrine (a byproduct of meth) which can still be part of the gear once purified can play a huge part, It can cause somewhat MD Effects if kept in a Meth product.

- SWIM