• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Offensive or just politically incorrect?

Raz

Bluelighter
I was sent this email today, and I was interested in hearing what other people think about it...basically, a guy is taking John Laws to court because Laws made some derogatory remark about Carson from Queer Eye For The Straight Guy. The full article can be found here: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/11/04/1099547315791.html?oneclick=true

I've got my own feelings about this whole thing, and will describe them in a bit, but I wanna see what my fellow bl'ers think first.

EDIT: Thanks keystroke! :D
A gay activist is considering legal action after broadcaster John Laws called Queer Eye for the Straight Guy frontman Carson Kressley a "pillow biter" on his radio show.

Gary Burns, who has already launched another case against Laws, claimed he was deeply offended about remarks made by the presenter on his 2UE morning show yesterday.

Mr Burns said today he felt the comments stereotyped homosexuals in an offensive way, and he indicated he would take Laws' comments before the anti-discrimination Act.

Laws made the remarks while discussing the Melbourne Cup's Fashions on the Field contest, which was judged by Kressley.

"Who is this pompous little pansy prig who was strutting around everywhere yesterday?" Laws said to his listeners.

"What the hell does a pillow biter know about judging girls?"

Mr Burns said Laws' comments were offensive.

"They stereotype homosexual males and particularly the inference that homosexual males are pillow biters," Mr Burns told the television program.

"By stereotyping a certain view to the listener creates an image of what homosexual lifestyle is about.
AdvertisementAdvertisement

"Look at me - I'm not wearing fishnet stockings and carrying a black Glomesh handbag and miming to Shirley Bassey records and I will put John Laws in court again."

But Laws told Ten news he was not worried by Mr Burns' threat.

"It was meant to be funny and most people thought it was funny; I'm sure that what's-his-name agreed it was funny too," Laws said.

"It was just a piece of satire."

Mr Burns is already suing Laws and his 2UE colleague Steve Price over remarks they made last year about Gavin Atkins and Warren Sonin, also known as Gazza and Wazza, from the Nine television show The Block.

A decision from the Equal Opportunity Tribunal about how offensive it is to call someone a "poof" on-air is expected later this month.

Last edited:
It's asking me to register with the age to read it. Any chance of quoting the article in full in this thread?

You could take John laws to court for a million issues if you really wanted. The fact that he speaks his mind is what listeners love about him, and what drives the ratings. I heard the afforementioned quotes on the 2UE evening sports program and had a chuckle to myself whilst thinking "that is so wrong".

^^Ain't working for me either, that link..

John Laws personally can go fuck himself, just like the rest of the homophobes, I think he surpasses the level of politically incorrect and is downright bastardry.

The SMH said this though :

Laws lets loose
Edited by Andrew Hornery with Bonnie Malkin
November 4, 2004

For a man who refers to his wife as "Princess", it seems odd that one of the world's most loved "queens" has left such a sour taste in John Laws's mouth.

Golden Tonsils was all fired up on his 2UE morning show yesterday, upset by the antics of visiting US television personality, Carson Kressley, the queerest of the Queer Eye for the Straight Guy cast.

"This is a really serious thing," Laws warned his listeners. "It's not often that I get really worried about this country, but I tell you what, I had a sleepless night last night after watching the television that I saw in relation to the Melbourne Cup. Who is this pompous little pansy prig who's strutting around everywhere yesterday, telling Australian blokes how to wear their pocket square? As he called it. That's poof speak for handkerchief ... Who is he? He might be famous in certain circles, circles being the operative word, we know where they are."

The talking Brillo Pad wasn't letting up, and continued with: "He was judging girls, now what the hell does a pillow biter know about judging girls? They should have had a few truckies down there, or me, or the co-driver even. Fair-dinkum Aussie blokes judging fair-dinkum Aussie girls. Not this pompous little pansy.

"I remember when Australia was a land of proud, dedicated women and hard-drinking and hard-talking men. M- E- N, men. Why this sudden proliferation of pansies I don't know. It's a major issue. It's all very good and well that Australia tolerates people with varied sexual leanings but I don't know why we should be celebrating it. The sooner this fairy flies out and lets us judge our own women on our own criteria the better."

Finally he drew to a close, speaking on behalf of "truck drivers, wharf labourers, free thinking red-blooded Australian men and me". He then went on to play a recorded track saying "Piss Off Pansy". Not quite finished yet, Laws went on to say: "I know what you would like to have said [plays track] 'Piss Off Poof', but you can't say that because that's a derogatory word, so we won't say that. We wouldn't stoop to that, well I really wouldn't want to s-s-s-stoop to anything, would I?"

Listen up

One very interested listener to the Laws show yesterday was the Anti-Discrimination Board president Stepan Kerkyasharian, who said the board could only act on what Laws had said if someone lodged a complaint. "The vilification provisions of the act are fairly clearly defined. The only person I can receive a complaint from in the case of vilification is someone who is either homosexual or from the person [Carson Kressley] himself. However, the test for vilification is pretty high. There are two types of vilification under the act. One is serious vilification and the other is unlawful vilification. Essentially the wording used or the activity must be such that it would lead people to violence ... short of someone being injured, it is very difficult to prosecute."

Those comments are so crazy they're almost funny! However the reason they're not funny is because there would have been thousands of listeners out there yelling "amen brother!" to the radio as he ranted, while cutting eye holes in their white bedsheets. And that's just scary.

Sorry kids, gimme a sec and I'll go copy the article into my initial post....

ah it works for me, theage.com.au places a hidden cookie in your browser each time you hit the page and get the registration bit.

anyway, *editted - no longer needed here*

:D

Last edited:
cup_field4_narrowweb__200x273.jpg

I think it's basically what John Laws age group thinks, they were brought up to believe that being gay is wrong. So all of his listeners will think the same, as they are probably all the same age.

If you just go to the age homepage and click news, then scroll to entertainment, a link is there...

In that particular sotry [that raz posted] I was erring on the side of that the prosecuting guy was overreacting a bit...though i was more concerned about calling carson a " pompous pansy little prig" than a "pillow biter".

When contextualised in the other article Mean Girl copied, I totally switched my point of view. The level which he denegrated Carson Kressley, and the entire homosexual community disgusts me. Sure - Carson is a raving homosexual, and having a "humourous" dig at him I think is within rights, I mean he encourages that kind of behaviour on his show - and does it with a sense of humour. The length that John Laws went to going on about australian men etc. is just revolting...I hope this guy succeeds and even more I wish that John Laws would be taken off air...

I don't live in Sydney, so I've never actually heard him on air [though obviously his reputation proceeds him], but now that I realise exactly how bigoted and irrational he is, I frankly never care to....

that is all.

Oils ain't Oils...... unfortunately they'll never take John Laws off the air, he generates too much money for the companies at hand and I think these companies would definately have a bit of guidance as to this outcome.

John Laws is an arrogant obnoxious prick who should not be allowed to broadcast, but sadly has a following of like-minded individuals. He has a tendancy to go too far and push the envelope past the limit. It's one thing to try and go past the realm of political correctness and another to be purely discriminative/racist/homophobic/elitest/biggoted etc etc. He uses his show as a platform to air his narrow-minded views but as long as idiots keep listening, he will keep babbling. How people can listen to him is beyond me though...he has absolutely no credibility.

My 0.02c plus GST

Mary Poppins said:
Sure - Carson is a raving homosexual

I think you mean flaming homosexual ;)

What was the radio station that John Safran pressed pills for in Music Jamboree, wasn't that the same radio station?

*stupid forgetful brain*

his comments are way out of line. perhaps the queer eye team rejected an offer from laws to provide comment for cash when his asking price was too high ;)

personally i can't stand the antics of Kressley. i feel he does nothing more than perpetuate a negative stereotype of gays.

it annoys me when substance lacking american personalities are imported into this country for pr work, to host or co-host significant cultural events. i think we all know however what motivated laws to speak out, his homophobia and the appeal it has for his listeners. death to laws, death to jones.

carson, from the small observations i've made of him, seems like a fucking tool, but laws was making some pretty overtly homophobic comments, so i'm happy to see his bigoted arse getting sued. hope he goes to jail :)

Straight off the bat, I think John Laws is a wanker.

But Mr Burns' comment...

"Look at me - I'm not wearing fishnet stockings and carrying a black Glomesh handbag and miming to Shirley Bassey records and I will put John Laws in court again."

Doesn't really hold water as far as I can see since I haven't seen Carson wearing fish net stockings nor listening to Shirley Bassey (Hey what's wrong with Shirley Bassey?!)

I don't see how Lawsy might be stereotyping homosexuals when none of his comments that I heard refer to any of the stereotyped traits that Mr Burns is referring to.

Also, I don't understand how people can somehow be "deeply offended" by the comments or opinions of someone who they don't know, haven't met and don't hold in any high esteem or regard.

I find Carson very irritating. Put him in a room in front of the camera with a good looking man and no one says anything about the comments he makes in reference to the guy. Where as if a guy was to say a similar thing to a women, he would be labelled sexist and a pig etc etc.