Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Yawning while coming up?

BigfootDragon

Bluelighter
last friday at awakening i dropped a whole pill (BT) and started yawning as i was coming up. i wasn't tired or anything, and the yawns were longer than usual but felt really good. is this normal? why might it happen?
thanks for the help
smile.gif

bigfoot dragon

This is totally off the top of my head, haven't read anything on this for ages, but were you nervous about the night, or feeling edgy at the venue?
I know that personally, I yawn whenever I'm under a lot of stress, or anticipating something stressful. I always imagined this was part of the normal human fight/flight mechanism to help supply your body with more oxygen.
There could certainly be other causes of yawning though... a lot of people yawn just because someone nearby did too. Some people find that just talking about yawning can make them yawn. As a matter of fact, I've actually yawned 6 times just while typing this (though it being midnight and the remnants of the day after a 37hr party could have something to do with that too).
BigTrancer
redface.gif
(7 yawns).

Didnt read anything either and this is just what i thought I read in other posts, but it is perfectly normal to yawn while you are coming up on a pill. Seratonin is what your brain releases when it wants to relax you when you go to sleep (correct me if im wrong) so yawning is obviously something your going to do, you dont feel tired, but you do yawn a lot.

Somone was talking to me about this, just last week, I think it was Anjele. She was telling me that she always yawmns while rolling, and that she is not tired, and feels great.
There has to be some explanation for it, but alas I do not know.
------------------
sniff it like an amylmal

Yeah, I'm also like that. I always yawn when coming up. And for a 5-10 min period before the pill starts to kick in, I get a really tired feeling. I'm the only one out of my friends that is like that though.
smile.gif
Jaff
------------------
"That's exactly right!!! You hit the nail on the timber"

I always yawn on a good pill. I am not sure whether this is nervousness/excitement about whats about to come or whether its a chemical reaction? perhaps someone can enlighten us. I have serched but couldnt find anything much.
Shall we leave it up to the search nazi's? (BT and JB)
wink.gif

This is a great post.
I always yawn before I roll.
But I've always yawned alot on pills I took where I didn't roll.
I definitly think the anticipation may have something to do with it. Also, the majority of the pills I've taken were at night. And I'm just use to being tired at night, because I sleep most nights.
smile.gif

applesbliss
------------------
***-apples-powered

I think I can shed a little more light on this matter.
A while ago after binging on E for some time, I was prescribed some anti-depressants called Effexor. On the first day of taking these pills, I had the worst side effects ever (think of all the BAD e side effects). One of these was yawning uncontrollably....and I mean I could not stop, my jaw was actually sore from yawning so much. Yawning is caused by the stimulation of seratonin and/or dopamine, I think more dopamine though.
Hope this sheds some light on the matter.

Yeah I yawn heaps as well...to the point where I can't stop and it gets really annoying. I posted in the medical Q & A to find a reason for it but no one could give me an answer. I'm just assuming it's got to do with the excess serotonin running around in your brain.
I just wish I knew a way to stop it.

A good review of yawning is provided by Askenasy (1989), and the points that follow are derived from this source.
Several causes of yawning are discussed in the review:
psychological - this includes boredom, drowsiness, fatigue, separation, imitation, and autosuggestion
hormonal - ACTH and MSH
neurological - various brain pathologies including coma, encephalitis, hypoxia, and neoplasms
psychiatric - for example schizophrenia, psychosis, depression and withdrawal
general pathologies - ear disorders, gastric and biliary disorders, and motion sickness
drug overdose - for example naloxone, valproate, imipramine, clomipramine, seratonin, and pentobarbital
Yawning occurs in many species from reptiles to birds and mammals under different conditions (Argiolas and Melis, 1998). Although the physiology of yawning is not clearly understood, research has revealed that:
Yawning is under the control of a range of neurotransmitters and neuropeptides within the brain: dopamine, excitatory amino acids, acetylcholine, serotonin, nitric oxide, adrenocorticotropic hormone-related peptides, and oxytocin.
Opioid peptides inhibit yawning.
The paraventricular nucleus of the hypothalamus is involved in the control of yawning.
When activated by dopamine, excitatory amino acids and oxytocin, neurons in the paraventricular nucleus facilitate yawning by releasing oxytocin at distant sites in the brain, ie: the hippocampus, pons and/or the medulla oblongata.
Nitric oxide is also involved in yawning mediated by acetylcholine, serotonine, and adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) and related peptides
Other neurotransmitters, i.e. gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) and noradrenaline, and neuropeptides, i.e. neurotensin and luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone (LH-RH), also influence yawning.
References
Aloe, F. (1994) "Yawning." Arq Neuropsiquiatr, 52(2), 273-276.
Argiolas, A., and Melis, M.R. (1998) "The neuropharmacology of yawning." European Journal of Pharmacology, 343(1), 1-16.
Askenasy, J.J.M. (1989) "Is yawning an arousal defense reflex?" The Journal of Psychology, 123(6), 609-621.
I haven't been able to obtain these article to read fully as yet, but the above summary points may help. I have emboldened some that seem pertinent to our discussion.
BigTrancer
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by BigTrancer (edited 30 July 2000).]

I am a fairly shallow breather..and I tend to yawn quite a bit at times ..it's like my body's way of trying to get the oxygen in deeper...
I think it's also the shallow breathing that causes me to gag too much while peaking...it's like my breathing rhythm gets way out of whack!

I think it consists of a myriad of reasons, one of them being psychological.
(i've already yawned twice while reading this thread)
I think this is right (from memory).
As its already been said, seratonin helps the body relax and when you relax your breathing rate can change.
As your breathing rate slows down or becomes shallower the Carbon Dioxide content in your blood will rise because your not getting rid fast enough. And in turn your body's fail safe mechanism is to your yawn and get the oxygen/carbon dioxide levels in your blood back in the black.
*yawn* (3rd one and counting)
4th...
i'm getting outa' this thread before i fall asleep on the keyboard.
Hey BigTrancer, maybe we should put a warning label on this thread = 'May cause drowsiness' OR 'DONT MAKE ANY FUCKING PLANS'
smile.gif

(yawned 3 times while reading thread but then i did just get up)
i used to yawn constantly when coming on, but i think this was when i used to drink a lot before i dropped. i think the combo of alcohol and e makes me, at least, ywan like crazy
*yawn*
------------------
"i think i'll stick to drugs to get me thru the long, dark night of late-capitalism..."
Irvine Welsh

Yawning is the brain's way of telling the body that it requires more oxygen.
If, all of a sudden, there is increased activity in the brain, it follows that more oxygen is required to counter that change. The best way to do that is to yawn.
There could be other theories, but I like this one.

hehe, well nobody around me was yawning. and we weren't talking about it.
now that i think about it, your explanations seem to fit well. that seratonin has relations to sleep patterns and so induces yawning and such. interesting
smile.gif

thankyou
smile.gif

bigfoot dragon

My understanding was that when excessive amounts of serotonin are produced, such as when you drop a pill then the brain doesn't know what to do with it all and so it converts some of it into melotonin which is a chemical that causes sleepiness. This is a reason why some people feel drowsy after taking large amounts of 5HTP and why the drug tryptophan is sometimes recommended for insomnia. Perhaps more interesting is the fact that when evening comes and natural light is diminished, your body will start to convert serotonin into melatonin more effectively.
So maybe the reason one yawns on the come up of a pill is due to the conversion of excess serotonin into melotonin resulting in slight tiredness before the speedy effects associated with the dopamine release kick in.

every single time since the first time that i took a pill i have always yawned..to me thats the way i know its beging to kick in..

a yawn is simply a big gulp of air for the body if you're not breathing enough...
when a pill is coming on and you yawn i reckon its your body going "fuck me dead i ain't sleeping for a long time" so it tries to get in a nap before the onslaught...
;-)
------------------
..dangermouse..
.you've gotta lose it.
.to find it.

uh...didn't anyone think that he might have been yawning because the party was called AWAKENING....
bwuaaaaaahahahaha...man i crack myself up...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif