Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Information - Fact vs. Anecdotal

Cowboy Mac

Bluelighter
This post is part rant part request. A few years ago when people posted there was a culture for information to be referenced and sourced, as the validity was questioned if it wasn't. It seems now there is a lot of anecdotal information that is rehashed from previous Bluelight posts that may be completely correct, however should still be referenced from elsewhere.

I am asking for everyone posting to make an effort when you are answering a question to put more effort into your answers and reference what you say. I hope it will lead to further discussion rather than the simple question answer FAQ board that Aus DD has become. Although this thread may not be strictly suited to this forum, it does need to be read, considered, and discussed by the people that frequent it, so feel free to post your thoughts.

So in the format that i usually try to stick to when posting of researching the question asked or topic posted, saying my own opinion on the topic then sourcing information for the question or topic posted or linking a source to back up my answer.

Would that be seen as an acceptable way of posting in an informative manner ?

I would suggest so, yes. As long as what you are advising/saying is referenced then it would be fine. If we can revive the culture of questioning material rather than believing it to be true immediately, we will all be better off... ihmo.

Cowboy Mac said:
I would suggest so, yes. As long as what you are advising/saying is referenced then it would be fine. If we can revive the culture of questioning material rather than believing it to be true immediately, we will all be better off... ihmo.

Couldnt agree with you anymore. After i read this i went through old topics and older threads and they are definatly of more quality and structure.

Or, I guess, if you feel the burning need to post an opinion on something but don't have the time or mental resources to reference it, you should preface with "This is just my opinion, but..." OR "I have heard this, but it might not necessarily be true".

There will always be people that want to post with anecdotes, no matter what you say. But I guess the key is to dissuade them from presenting it as 'fact'.

Couldn't agree more with this. If you don't know, don't pretend you do. Reference other peoples information and research when you use it.

If you are going to post your unsubstantiated opinions on a topic make it obvious that it is just your own opinions and don't present them as straight out fact, even though they could be.

Fry-d- said:
Couldn't agree more with this. If you don't know, don't pretend you do. Reference other peoples information and research when you use it.

If you are going to post your unsubstantiated opinions on a topic make it obvious that it is just your own opinions and don't present them as straight out fact, even though they could be.

I would be one of the last people to present an opinion as fact. Thats not what i actually meant but i see exactly where you guys are coming from.

Nothing ticks me of more than misinformation or unfactual claims and posts.

Maybe it's the engineer in me, but I can't stand people that say that rumour that they heard off their dealers brother's work friend is fact.

I try to make it clear that I'm either taking an educated guess, providing my opinion, or stating a fact that can be referenced.

Plus when you try and be a smart ass and make wild claims people like BT put you in your place and everyone else will just think your a loser!

I think the other fringe benefit of improving your referencing is that your credibility in the research community will increase. I realise that for many that is irrelevant, but the more people that you attract to this site (which I use all the time) the greater the leverage. I would add, and I'm not blowing smoke up your collective asses, that so far the people who have contributed to this thread are those who generally speaking have the most rigourous standards already. I love the way you all marshall and control your unruly flock- long may you thrive!

Just bumping this one back up to the top before it disappears off the page. Please take heed of this folks.

*brown-nosing alert*!

Just want to bump this one back up because I have noticed there has been a bit of personal opinion and 'stuff I heard off a mate' floating around in threads.

Also want to thank everyone who is putting their hard work in here and keeping this forum in line. Big ups too for the Enlighten team, drplatypus and JB for their work on pill testing at events and working towards lab testing.

Cheers!

This is just my opinion, but the worst unreferenced posts are those with percentages.

It's bad enough stating that something is the case without referencing it, but when you quantify it to such an extent that a percentage figure is used, it is ridiculous.

As far as I am concerned, one of the primary functions of Bluelight is provide people with useful and factual information. Non referenced posting, is not too far removed from the ridiculous drug rumours we all hear such as my mate said that pills are either smacky or cokey, and if you take LSD three times you go insane.

bRAVEheart

This is just my opinion, but the worst unreferenced posts are those with percentages.

That's cos 86.5% of all statistics are made up on the spot...

Nice Tits

16.67% of people in this thread are being idiots, however. Keep it on topic, this is a serious thread, no need for jokes.

*bump*