• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

5-HTP, contents, prices and online shops...

Cowboy Mac

Bluelighter
basically i wanna get some and looked at the main sites, and found that even tho the NZ one (http://marketplace.xtra.co.nz) is closer geographically they only sell 50mg and 30 capsules, works out to $1.6 AUD per 100mg dose.
the US site (http://www.5htpdirect.com/) with more range and only $4US international shipping fee sells a 120 capsule product with 100mg pill works out 0.30¢ per 100mg dose.
But the US product of the 120 pills (http://www.5htpdirect.com/5htptryptobol.html) seems the best value even on the US site as other product on the same site of 100mg yer 1/2 the amount of pills is around the same price.
The 120 pill product has Griffonia Simplicifolia Powder rather than the Griffonia Simplicifolia Extract which all the others contain. Is this why it is cheaper? is it the same as the others, 5htp is 5htp right? or is extract better/different?
feel free to help me out on this one. thanks guys
smile.gif

The ultra 5htp from 5htpdirect is actually out of stock at the moment and i'm very very pissed off about it!!

I dig the i-herb ultra 100mg caps as well.
Small question , as I know it was posted not long ago , 5-htp and ems? I have some links for sveral articles......but not just now.
Is anyone else concerned by the fact that no definitive answer has been made about the connection?
What doses are we all regularly taking? Some articles say up to 700mg per day is ok when others state 300mg p.d?
Dont wish to start unfounded rumours , just seeking questions?

when 5-htp was still legal in aust doses larger than 80mg a day had to prescribed by a physician. i'm not sure what research this is based on.
i generally take two 50mg caps the day after i eat my pills.

smurf, did i hear you say you had a FEW spare bottles of blessed 5HTP??? Would u like to send one over my way??!!!!

re 5htp and EMS: er how much more definitive do you want? there was maybe a link between a certain contaniment in 5htp and cases od EMS a few years back but the 5HTP we buy from iherb or 5htpdirect is guarenteed to be free of that substance (peak x)
its all in that other thread on the original scare.. do a search
oh and paranoic note from the mod: since the selling of 5HTP in australia is illegal you may want to do any such transactions in the privacy of email... but of course you were talking about giving it away weren't you?
wink.gif

a 5-htp post without my priceless contribution! getting a bit slack in my old age
ping the 5-htp nazi
wink.gif

I ordered some 5htp from 5htp direct and it
arrived four - five days later. Including
postage it only cost me US$18, for 90 50mg caps.
Peace

this might sound kind of stupid, but i hear a lot about 5htp, but what is it for?(i know it has something to do with seratonin)

EMS - this was from a contaminated crop from Japan for L-Tryptophan, which is why you can no longer by L-Tryptophan and they now sell 5HTP for the same use.
The interesting thing about the contamination, it was to do with genetically modified crops that the Japanese were playing around with to increase the yield of L-Tryptophan....so peoples, remember to check those labels..you only want natural stuff that is not genetically modified!!!!!
wink.gif

I bought the 100mg caps from iHerb. I did the same sort of sums as you and these babies were the best value by far. As Smurf said they do turn up. I got mine in 6 days so you don't have to worry about giving you card # over and not getting the kitty.
[This message has been edited by Loco (edited 20 July 2000).]

do you guys all use credit cards to order your goodies? I've been thinking about finally getting around to trying them out but I dont have a credit card (Im too scared of the damage I'll do!!). Do you know if its possible to use mail order/cheques etc?
------------------

Well I have never ever ever never ever ever never ever had any trouble using my CC over the net and ordering from online merchants. Iherb was no exception. Ordered mine last Friday night, arrived today (Thursday) lunchtime. Ordering process was straightforwarded. International delivery is US$4 for unlimited quantity.
Just Do It
smile.gif

I just found this article about vitamin C that could be of interest to those of you taking 200mg+ of it per day from the ultra 5htp caps:
After vitamin C is ingested, it functions as an antioxidant by transferring its own electrons to protect against free radicals in the body. Once it loses its electron balance, vitamin C degenerates into an oxidizing compound called dehydroascorbic acid. Vitamin E has been specifically shown to regenerate oxidized vitamin C by freely donating its own electrons to dehydroascorbic acid. There are other antioxidants such as cysteine that regenerate dehydroascorbic acid back into vitamin C (ascorbic acid), but vitamin E is the most well documented.
...we'll have to add vitamin E to our pill-popping routines
smile.gif

guys / gals, I have been reading up on all the posts on 5htp and am interested in ordering.
Having checked out iherb.com, I saw an alternative (vegetarian was all out) of serothin. http://www.iherb.com/serothin.html
Anyone have any thoughts ( you can assume correctly that I am not interested in the product for its weight loss benefits )
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by facethedj (edited 13 September 2000).]

I had a look at the SeroThin stuff you mentioned - I don't think it's what you're after... each capsule only contains about 15mg of 5-HTP, plus B6, C and some other stuff, whereas you can buy for about 1/3 more money, the Jarrow 5-HTP capsules which are each 100mg 5-HTP, and if you can supplement this with vitamin B6, and vitamin C, this will effectively be the same as taking the Ultra 5-HTP vegetarian capsules.
I've had no problem ordering 4 bottles at once of the Jarrow 100mg 5-HTP in the times when the Ultra 5-HTP is out of stock (permanently it seems?)
BigTrancer
smile.gif