Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Why are we fascinated by celebs?

friskk

Bluelighter
Hi,

As i'm sure most people know by now Mark Philippoussis and Delta Goodrem have split and Mark is now dating the one and only Paris Hilton!

Why, as a nation, are we fascinated and so upset with what happens to celebrities? Why do we put them on a pedestal where we are fixated with their lives and feel that we should be looking out for them...

This morning on the radio and Tv this was the hot topic of the day! Screw the bombing in Indonesia.. the war.. or other news.. everyone was jumping up and down about the Paris vs Delta battle..

Are our lives that meaningless that we have to look at other people for entertainment?

I'm not sure how old Paris, Delta and Mark are.. but I would expect them all to be under 27 years old. They are in the prime of their lives where they are going to have numerous bfs/gfs.. are we going to start crying and calling talkback everytime an Australia celeb has a break up?

Come on Australia... get a life!

I just can't believe it...

I don't think australia can be blamed as a whole, it really comes down to the editors and sub-editors of the major media organisations that determine what classifies as news and what makes it through. I couldn't agree more; I hate the concept of idol worship, personified by celebrities or not. Celebs are people that other people think are better looking than you, have more money and are vastly more popular. These people deserve no media attention, alas, they are useful tools in keeping the vast majority thinking about mindless crap instead of the real problems of the world. It certianly makes them alot easier to control. Some people see this level of 'celeb-dom' as something to aspire to, all it makes me want to do is get the gun...

There is nothing wrong with credit when it's due. Paris hilton deserves bullets not credit though....

Why are we fascinated by celebs?

apparently they live much fuller lives than us, apparently.

nickthecheese said:
There is nothing wrong with credit when it's due. Paris hilton deserves bullets not credit though....

agreed. celebs who are famous for merely being famous are just the worst, especially when said fame is achieved through nepotism.

Who says we are.............yep i heard it on the radio..........

Care factor............... duck egg.

I didnt even know they were seeing each other...........whoi bloody cares.

I think it's just a nice escape mechanism, to check out of reality for a little while and read/watch about the kind of ridiculous crap that celebrities do. Doesn't take much thinking, it's just good for entertainment value. I don't find that it actually replaces real events or actual news, but just supplements it (for those of us who want to tune out for a little while).

I mean, I watch these kinds of segments and have a chuckle and go "oh, hah!", but I don't go and talk to my family about it. It's just life filler, IMO. Nothing to be alarmed about.

anna! said:
I think it's just a nice escape mechanism, to check out of reality for a little while

I find drugs to be far superior in that respect ;)

I'm not facinated by celebs personally. In fact if there was some sort of weird genetic disease that only targeted greedy airheads and wiped them all out, you would be unable to get a reasonable response from me on the matter....

I would be too busy rolling around on the ground laughing and praying to my newfound god.

And as far as a serious response I think nickthecheese has my views covered rather adequately...

It's no wonder I don't really talk to people in the work lunch room, but rather read. If all people want to talk about is other peoples pathetic lives then I have no time to waste trying to feign interest in boring rhetoric. We only get a small amount of time on this planet, and if I have to waste a large amount of it working for retards, the last thing I want to do in my spare time is talk to retards.

lostpunk5545 said:
We only get a small amount of time on this planet, and if I have to waste a large amount of it working for retards, the last thing I want to do in my spare time is talk to retards.

Spot on buddy! :)

Originally posted by KemicalBurn
I find drugs to be far superior in that respect ;)

Each to their own :)

^^
i dont see whats so wrong with people wanting to read about celebs..... if thats what they want to do in their spare time, why cant they? its not hurting anyone else.....

I hate celebrities. They are all about as intelligent as a pile of shit. And how the hell do you know what to believe anyway? That crap they write in stuff like Woman's Day is probably so far from the truth its criminal.

Every one should be fascinated with me and my never ending mission to reach post whore status 8)

those sexiest person in the world polls are the worst. they should have a disclaimer on the cover stating "sexiest person in the world whose life we bothered to focus on over the past year", otherwise it's straight up false advertising. i've seen sexier folk working at the supermarket that sells such magazines.
:)

Last edited:
I'm not sure how old Paris, Delta and Mark are.. but I would expect them all to be under 27 years old. They are in the prime of their lives where they are going to have numerous bfs/gfs.. are we going to start crying and calling talkback everytime an Australia celeb has a break up?

I think people like knowing about breakups like this because it kinda reminds you celebs go through shit just like everyone else.

its not so much that we are fascinated with celebrities....

its more that as humans, we love to gossip...

and seeing as we all know of the celebrity... we can all share in their gossip...

so yeah, we aren't fascinated by celebrities...

so instead, i say we all forget about this discussion, stop wasting our time reading this thread and head to this thread or this thread or this thread or even this thread or maybe this thread or if you really really really get stuck for your fix of celebrities, go here ....

but most of all, we are fascinated by celebrities because they can afford better drugs....

'We' are fascinated by celebs for the same reason that people are fascinated by the concept of death, or love, or some random specimen that can only be seen under a microscope.
I think it's difficult to give a straight answer, but I feel the number one reason is because people can 'live' through celebrities in a way, and the 'gossip' idea also makes a lot of sense. To some, the world of a celebrity is one that not everybody will get to live so it's a fascination.

8o :|

eze451 said:
^^
i dont see whats so wrong with people wanting to read about celebs..... if thats what they want to do in their spare time, why cant they? its not hurting anyone else.....

I can understand, but i think some people need to really *not* be *so* obsessed.

I just worry when "Delta's heart broken" 8( is the leading headline on the front page of a newspaper...

...the herald sun shouldnt count as newspaper anyway though... :p

*shrug* am i making any sense? :\ it's too early.8)
slumps off to have a shower.