Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Too much panadeine

Trixter

Bluelighter
Last weekend I had a bad experience happen to me (wont get into it now) and in one of my stupider moments I took 16 panadeine gel caps while i had been drinking. I didnt have the forte ones just the over the counter ones.

Ever since I have had really bad stomach cramps and just pains in the stomach has anyone ever taken too many and this has happen to them??

Could it be I had to much paracetemol or the codeine??

thanks.

Im vouching that it would have something to do with the amount of Paracetemol you had ingested rather then the Codeine.

Assuming the gel caps active ingreidents that you have is Codeine (10mg) and Paracetemol 500mg per gel cap, that would mean you ingested (160mg) of codeine and 8000mg of paracetemol, Now 8000mg of paracetemol is quite a hefty amount of junk to be ingesting, as for the Codeine 160mg is usually what i dose at with minimal conflict.

If you decide to take these next time it might be a good idea to use a cold water extraction method to rid the pills/caps of all the bs they contain.

Another alternative would be to buy nurofen + tabs and discard the ibuprofen (200mg) using the splitting method and ingest the left over half of the tab Codeine (12.5mg)

Nurofen Tab Spliting Method
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=153393
http://www.sixthseal.com/000269.html

Edit: I misread the first part that you were drinking! This is highly advisable not to consume alcohol while using excessive ammounts of painkillers.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply they are really good links. I wont be doing that again, even with the alcohol i know that is just crazy but as i as said i wasnt thinking.

And i especially wont be doing it again with the whole panadeines, i think i'll give the splitting a go. thanks. I never really knew paracetmol could hurt you like the way it has.

No worries, Paracetemol is just as bad as Ibuprofen imo Absolute junk. Nothing like a nice dose of Codeine to ease the pain. =D

You should go get a liver function test, paracetemol is BAD shit and could result in liver failure...

yea i recomend going to a doctor and getting checked, your liver could be on the way out right now and if it is your in a world of trouble if your alone when it goes. I was always told at school that people who attempted suicide by taking excess paracetamol didnt die untill weeks down the track when they had liver failure, ofcourse this was at school and was probably for the most part of the hyped up sensationalised nature our zero tolerance community offers in the education system.

however please do go see a dr.

Hmmm i freaking out now. Does some symptoms sound like slight back pain and stomach pains, kind of high in my stomach. Im going to make an appointment today.

ahh yes the old paracetamol and booze combo is not so good.

Basically, you have taken twice the maximum recommended dose of paracetemol ( 4000mg, or 8 tabs ) so that in of itself is not a cool idea. For a healthy young person, taking 8 tabs a day wont hurt you in the short run, provided its sensibly done, ie not every day. Taking 8000mg in one day, or in your case at the same time is certainly a risky move.

One time many moons back, i went out on the piss after having consumed maybe 6 or 8 of the panadeine type pills over a few hours. Sweet jesus was I in bad shape later that night. I had major stomach cramps, vomited heaps and generally felt fucked. I was so concerned that I went to the doc and asked about a blood test cos I thought I may have drunk a spiked drink. Anyway, it was later on that I learnt about the danger of alcohol and paracetemol. I should also point out that i had been taking these pain tabs regularly prior to this event but always within the guidelines.

So as other folks have said, its almost certainly that combo that has fucked you, and seeing a doc would be highly advisable, even if just for your peace of mind. You don;t need to tell him/her that you took 16 tabs, or what your motive was, just say you had a number of them and didnt know that alcohol was a bad idea in conjunction with them.

Try to drink plenty of water, not just now but always as it will assist liver and kidney function. Maybe a liver tonic wouldnt go astray either. Cold water extraction is a fun and easy thing to do but even so I wouldnt get on the piss after youve just swigged down some extracted codeine liquid.

Hope you get better.

I should also point out that there is a very small percentage of the population who cannot metabilise codeine or morphine. It is possible yuo are in that group and that, along with the excessive amount of paracetemol and the grog has created this problem. Good to see youve made an appointment anyway.

Yeh ive made one at 5.30 today, from what i've read here and the pain im feeling now I think its a good idea.

thanks for everyones replies.

Hope everything turns out ok for you but this really highlights the need for people to take note of the warnings and maximum dosages of medications. An overdose of paracetamol can be very bad for the liver and combined with alcohol can be extremely dangerous.

Trixter said:
Hmmm i freaking out now. Does some symptoms sound like slight back pain and stomach pains, kind of high in my stomach. Im going to make an appointment today.

That does sound like liver/kidney issues to me... Go see a doctor.

I found this page that had some encouraging information about the effects of a paracetamol overdose on the liver.

http://www.pharmweb.net/pwmirror/pwy/paracetamol/pharmwebpicjournalist.html

" It is assumed, even by many doctors, that drinking alcohol with a paracetamol overdose increases the effect of the overdose and contributes to death. This is the case with many medicines used in overdose, but not with paracetamol. In a normal, healthy adult, alcohol taken with a paracetamol overdose does not increase any injury caused to the liver. In fact, as the two compounds compete for the same metabolic pathways, there may be a protective effect from the alcohol. "

" When the liver has been damaged during a non fatal paracetamol overdose, it recovers fully within a matter of weeks or months following the overdose. The liver damage is not permanent, and does not accumulate with subsequent overdoses unless they are taken close together, before the liver has had time to recover (4). "

Stars Fall In said:
Have you been to the doctor yet?

If so what was the diagnosis?

Went to the doctor Friday and had a liver function test. All was clear. The pains are slightly still there but not like last week.

Thanks everyone for your help it is appreciated.

And better safe than sorry I say.

Thanks for the link Stars Fall In, there's some great info there.

I've got a close relative who has a chronic illness and as a result has been taking 8 panadeine forte a day for the last 3-4 years. I'm worried about the amount of paracetamol she's ingesting... the site states that 8x500mg a day shouldn't have any long term repurcussions, although I'm dubious. I may encourage her to get her liver checked more regularly.

Does the cold-water-extraction method work just as well for panadeine as for nurofen? I've looked through the other threads but they mostly seem to be people discussing the benefits of splittable n+ tabs :)

Cheers

Not withstanding the fact that it was a dumb thing to do in the first place, I gotta say well done for being mature enough to take the advice and see a doctor. A lot of times when people OD of stuff they just assume they'll be fine and don't see a doctor for fear of the consequences (ie: the doctor telling them off usually). From past trends, most people on bluelight try to be tough. Seeing the doctor was 100% the right thing to do, and I'm glad to hear you'll be OK (and much wiser for the experience). :)

Well I'm learning that theres no assumptions when it comes to your health.

And yes much much wiser for the experience.