Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The EZ Test CAN differentiate MDMA/MDEA

Brisgirl

Bluelighter
The old version of the EZ Test colour chart indicated that MDMA would go straight to black, while MDEA went to dark purple through a pink colour. They changed this about a year ago, (I think) for legal reasons, due to the ever-growing popularity of the test, and the potential for people to sue if they took something they believed to me MDMA when it wasn't (yes, theoretically you could still sue even though taken E is illegal).
I have tested and taken a large variety of pills, some of them known to be either pure MDMA or MDEA. From my experience 100% of pills which turned black felt like MDMA. 100% of the pills which turned purple (and we tried to convince ourselves black!) felt a little different.
My rule: if you're not sure if it's black ("yeah, it could be black, look at it in this light") it's not MDMA. Real MDMA goes Black and that's that. Keep this in mind when testing and evauating your pills and tell me what you think.

Are you saying that if it turned extremely dark purple and almost black (not because I wanted it to but because it actually was, in a recent test I did) that it has no MDMA?
This is in reference to the comment you made on my description of a pink/orange pill last weekend in Pill Reports.

According to most sources, it's only possible to indicate MD-something chemicals, but not differentiate between them. PhreeX posted this list of reactions in the Testing forum, which indicates that MDMA and MDEA should give the same colour change...
http://www.bluelight.ru/ubb/Forum14/HTML/000234.html
As far as I know the reagent was designed to "indicate the presence of an MDxx compound".
BigTrancer
smile.gif

Kaister,
I think I've tested the pill you're refering to(I think I've had them, and they're very nice MDMA probably with a bit of speed). When I tested it, it went immediately to very dark purple, but then if you spread the drop out, it is grey/black in the thinner places, not pink/purple.
Pills which are MDEA also look dark purple, but when you spread the drop out it definitely looks more pink than grey/black in the thin bits. This is usually how I do it.
Honestly, I've found it to be very accurate, even when I ask an observer to tell me what colour they think it is.
I know the test manufacturers say now that it's only meant to pick up MDXX, but the kits supplied to forensics laboratories around the world still allow for subtle differences in colour indicating the presence of various MDXX derivatives. The reagents in the EZ kit are the same as the Marquis reagent sold to scientists, they've just changed the instructions to make it easier to use.

hmmm...fascinating (said in Spock's voice) hehehe
wink.gif

no really...i think brisgirl has a point!

I doubt that you could sue Ez Test if the results were flawed simply because of the fact that it states the ez test is so be used for entertainment use only, and that they take no responsibility for the validness of the result.
But that change maybe true anyway.
------------------
"Its great being anonymous until you want to be someone" - Anonymous

Yer but forensic labs also use TLC plates. They don't just get a scraping of substance, put it on a bit of white stuff and go "hey this is MDEA with a bit of 2C-B and Meth!"
They do a proper Chromotagraphic test with the substance to work out more accurate compositions...
DB

Clearly not. BUT.....
Most pill manufacturers in Australia only use one truly active ingredient (either MDMA, MDEA or methamphetamine depending on the available chems) then top it up with caffeine or amphetamine HCl. The marquis test is good enough to pull out the MAIN ingredient.
Show me a pill with a mix of MDEA and MDMA and I'll give you a hundred bucks. This is the main differentiation we are interested in here.
LATE BREAKING NEWS... apparently the way to tell the difference is by using the real Marquis reagent which is 90% H2SO4, 5% Formaldehyde and 5%Methanol. This will tell MDMA apart from MDEA. This is what I use. Not sure what is in the kit.

i agree with brisgirl too; a while back i posted my theory on this:
Safrole, the MDXX precursor goes purple/black ala MDEA with the tester.
So all MDXX drugs give the same purplish colour.
The amphetamine or methylamphetamine part of MDA/MDMA gives a orange/brown reaction like speed and so having both these colours being produced together makes a more str8 black colour.
Whereas MDEA has ethylamphetamine which well i guess does not go orange, although they r all VERY similar, and hence MDEA remains only the purplish black from the MD part.

Biscuit....that's "ethylmine" the ingredient for MDEA, where as methylmine is substituted to produce MDMA.
------------------
My life is simply
Defined by every
Magnificent experience
Acquired by E.

Um about the testers... the new E-tester (Australian brand), indicates that purple to black is an "ecstacy type substance", while going through pinky to purple indicates a "heroin type substance" - was this the pinky purple reaction in the old EZ tests for MDEA?
Just checking is all...
smile.gif

well my two cents on this is just a quote, but i think you'll understand why i believe it...
this was in an email sent to me by Emanuel Sferios at dancsafe.org
As far as the reagent goes, Sasha Shulgin is working on a few new ones for us. What he says is that MDMA and MDEA only differ by their secondary amine (or something like that) so there would be no way to distinguish them using a field test. I trust him because,
well, he's the MAN, right? :)
if i am to believe anyone it has to be Dr Alexander Shulgin...
sorry if anyone disagrees with this, but if you do, take it up with the man
smile.gif

it is possible, however, to distinguish MDA with a modified reagent test... all sorts of people seem to be working on this one...
there is an old colour chart in the FAQ at www.ez-test.com . i was going to link it but the site seems to be down... anyways i cant remember anything about a pink reaction in there... i'll just wait till i can see that old chart again...

ethylamine and methylamine are the chemicals.
i was talking about the differences between the 2; MDMA is MD-methylamphetamine, MDEA is MD-Ethylamphetamine.
anyway its not that important, but if what jb says is right they r the ones to believe; he is after all every drug taking/synthesising, chemists' messiah.

Bris girl : I dunno about pills only having either mdma or mdea.
I've had pills that were believed to be pure MDEA and ones that were pure MDMA. But there have been some that sit somewhere in between the two.
I'm not saying your wrong but, could you explain this a little more?

Most chemists try to make MDMA, after all it's what we all want. Methylamine which is required for MDMA is extremely hard so alot of cooks make MDEA instead (especially in the Netherlands where ethylamine, required for MDEA, is relatively easy to access). If they can get methylamine, they generally don't bother making MDEA, they just make the real thing. I can't imagine why anyone would make a mix of these two chems.
Pills are often cut with other stuff, as you know (caffeine, speed etc...) but I'm sure I've never heard of a pill with a mix of MDEA/MDMA. People sometimes press a mix of MDA/MDMA or MDA/MDEA to lengthen the roll and heighten perception changes, but again, it's not very common.

Interesting...well done JB...so only 44% of the pills tested were mdma.
Bet thats not even close to what we get down here...more like 20%

perth = 5%
That says at all, about to walk out the door to go to MOS and its the 1st big dance party i will be walking into without pre-bought MDMA.

No ketamine either ? =) funny how every time someone has a bad pill they think its K. Just hate that.

Holland - 70% http://eztest.com/news.php3
The Methanol was added for stability but it also slows the reaction a bit making it easier to watch the reaction.
The original leaflet
( http://eztest.com/faq.php3#faq9 )
was criticised by Dutch Harmreduction groups because the differences in color are so small that it would not be reasonable for us to claim that you can actually distinguish.
(Yes, you -off your head- in a stinky toilet with some sleazy dealer and security all over the place).
However, under ideal circumstances, you'll probably be able to see small differences in colorchange provided the sample is really pure but even then you should not draw the conclusion that is is mdma, mda or mdea.
You simply do not know for sure until the lab tells you so.
And yes, everybody seems to be working on a new test kit. We were wondering.... How should it look like ??
It will involve more bottles but it looks like it will distinguish between more mdxx's.
We need to know what people prefer.
A small cheap kit to test one or two samples or a big (rather expensive) kit with 3 bottles that will test many samples.
Advantage of a small kit is that we can mail it by normal mail
A big one will require registered mail and/or special chemical mail plus you might have to sign for it when the postman delivers....
We really need some feedback and discussion here so go ahead ;-)
aj
[This message has been edited by aj (edited 03 July 2000).]