Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Will E harm your baby?

ami

Bluelighter
I had a friend who did E for a couple of years, but also a lot of other drugs. She got pregnant by accident and she decided to keep her baby, but she had a miscarriage.
So i was wondering, if you took ecstasy earlier in life, and decided to have a child later would it actually affect it?(obviously it would if you did it while you were pregnant)

around 1 in 4 first pregnancies end in miscarriage, so its just coincidence I think...I doubt very much your friend's miscarriage would have been caused by taking drugs before she got pregnant.
[This message has been edited by E Bee (edited 20 May 2000).]

Actually I think I remeber reading that E can be very harmful to pregnacies especially in the first trimester.
Can anyone confirm this?

no, from what i've read the is no direct link between MDMA and any known birth abnormalities. basically like a lot of things about our favourite drug there is little known.
what is important to realise about this is that if there was a link between use of e and major problems with pregnancy we would definitely know by now.
MDMA has been used recreationally by millions of people over the past ten or so years. of those millions statistically many people have fallen pregnant. and if there was a sudden increase in problems the medical world would have quickly picked up on it.
you may all say "thalidimyde" as an example of a chemical that took a while to be linked to problems, but keep this is mind. thalidimyde was a wonder drug, a darling of the pharmeceutical industry. it took a lot of hard work and research, in the face of blanket denials by the companies and ever growing evidence, before someone convinced the powers that be that there was a link.
MDMA is the "killer drug" that is "destroying our youth". if medical science suspected for a moment that MDMA caused birth defects then we wouldn't stop hearing about it.
there is no established link. but medicine's stance on any and all drug use, even alcohol and tobacco and caffeine, during pregancy is avoid it where possible. this is a sensible and understandebly cautious rule and i would hope everyone does so.
------------------
"i think i'll stick to drugs to get me thru the long, dark night of late-capitalism..."
Irvine Welsh

Will E Tell? Harming peoples babys?? Nah, I don't think he does that. Hes a nice guy.
hmmmm, have I missed the point?
wink.gif

Will E harm your baby?
Well...just think of a coupla things:
1. Es majorly fuck up our heads. We are just not meant to feel that different from reality. If you do it a lot it does affect you in the long term. It probably changes you a little even if you dont do it much.
2. If you are pregnant, what is in your blood goes straight into your baby's blood. Babies brains are growing at an amazing rate, whereas ours change slowly. If the chemical levels in your babies head are just not right, then it could slow the brain growth down, speed it up in some places, or basically just fuck it right up.
So please for the sake of the child, dont do it when you are pregnant. Imagine what it would be like to take E for the first time and have a tolerance from hell already?
SpankY

i've talked to two expectant (mid term)mothers at raves over the last year, both off their heads- hmmm... (that's not a value judgement but it does makes me kinda wonder)

MDMA should never be given to babies you should at least wait until they are 16 and can make their own choice, besides I don't think young babies can fully appreciate peaking their heads off for a couple of hours, and may choke on their glowsticks! Anyway if an empty cardboard box and the Wiggles can keep them amused for 4 hours they obviously don't need E !

Wiggles and empty carboard boxes keep me amused for periods of up to 6 hrs...sooo mr (whoever is above me) what r u trying to say
wink.gif

A friend of mine took E for the first 6 months of her pregnancy. (She was in denial about being preggers). The baby came out fine. She took it fairly regularly. Not sure if it has any problems with learning or anything.
Jon.

I think all us dirty druggies are going to give way to a new breed of uber-babies with crazy telekinetic powers bwahahahah

There were big discussions about this in the Medical forum on here.
It was said MDMA shouldn't be touched during pregnancy, as MDMA is a form of amphetamine and amphetamines are the worst drug to take relating to birth defects, etc.
That is disgusting that people have seen pregnant women at raves, off their heads. I feel sorry for the babies. and it is true, i don't think there are any studies linking MDMA to pregnancy defects, but there is nothing which says the opposite. Taking the chance and taking MDMA while pregnant is tthhaatt stupid. I know the original post related to someone who stopped using MDMA as soon as they found out they were pregnant. But the discussion has broadened, and some people have said there is no link between using MDMA and birth defects. Even if MDMA caused no problems in pregnancy, you gotta remember that most pills are cut with a variety of different chemicals, so you're not just swallowing MDMA when you're swallowing that pill. (unless u're fucken lucky!
wink.gif
)
--BLaH!

I think we've lost track here....
the original question was whether taking e long before pregnancy (months, years) could affect the baby.
I think its very unlikely it would have any effect...but females are born with their supply of eggs...if something mutates them (like radiation does), then it could affect fertility or the baby's development in the future.
I doubt there's been much study into it, so it can't be a very big issue. There would probably be the same risk from anything from alcohol to caffeine to aspirin.
On the topic of taking e while pregnant:
I can't believe that there are pregnant women taking e in an age where we know that just 1 glass of wine or even eating blue cheese can alter a baby's development
frown.gif

I think the most important quality good mothers possess is selflessness. How can someone who puts a few hours of their own pleasure above the health (and consequently, whole life) of their baby ever be a good mother?

look, this is a highly emotive issue and i think people are forgetting to read the first post that started it.
So i was wondering, if you took ecstasy earlier in life, and decided to have a child later would it actually affect it?(obviously it would if you did it while you were pregnant)
italics added by jb for emphasise
no one is denying that someone who is pregnant should avoid taking any and all drugs. this is just common sense. the original question was about if someone has at some earlier time in the life taken MDMA.
there is no evidence what so ever that MDMA changes your body in anyway that could be passed on at a much later date to your child.
this misunderstanding perhaps comes from the old LSD myth that acid warps your chromosones. this is not true.
i just dont want to see a repeat of the flame wars that erupted in the medical and discussion forums when people, bravely i thought, admitted that they had taken e while pregnant but before they were aware they were pregnant. accusations of babykilling flew around between hysterical americans who shot their mouths of before thinking, as per usual...