Date: 1960
1 : the study of the bodily absorption, distribution, metabolism, and
excretion of drugs
2 : the characteristic interactions of a drug and the body in terms of its
absorption, distribution, metabolism, and excretion
- phar·ma·co·ki·net·ic /-tik/ adjective
you been to MAPS ?
------------------
.... he who makes a beast of himself, rids himself of the pain of being a man...

oh just found this at drugdustbins site
BIODISPOSITION & PHARMACOKINETICS
MDMA absorption is usually complete within 1-2 hours. It has a half-life of about 5-9 hours, depending on dosage (and things
like urinary pH). The metabolism of MDMA involves N-demethylation to 3,4-methylenedioxyamphetamine (MDA) by
CYP3A4 and O-demethylenation to 3,4-dihydroxymethamphetamine (DHMA) and to 3,4-dihydroxy-amphetamine (DHA).
O-demethylenation in humans is catalyzed by cytochrome P450 isoenzyme, CYP2D6, also known as
debrisoquine-4-hydroxylase. This enzyme is expressed polymorphically in humans and about 5-9% of the Caucasian
population is deficient for this enzyme acitivity. DHMA and DHA are further O-methylated by catechol-O- methyltransferase,
COMT to 4-hydroxy-3-methoxymethamphetamine (HMMA) and 4-hydroxy-3-methoxyamphetamine (HMA). O-dealkylated
metabolites are also O-conjugated to glucuronides and sulfates. MDA, formed by N-demethylation of MDMA, seems to be a
minor metabolite, representing 8 to 9% of the blood concentrations of MDMA. The main metabolites found in urea as free
and/or conjugated are HMMA, HMA and MDA. MDA recovery is about 1% of the dose administered. The disposition of
MDMA in humans is stereoselective, with the more active S-enantiomer having a reduced AUC (area under curve) and shorter
half-life than (R)-MDMA.
i'm sure phreex or drubdustbin will refer you to this in your post to medical q and a

excretion of drugs huh??
What if i could excrete MDMA... everyone would be my best friend... and would i get busted by the cops?
I wont even try and read all that chemical mumbo jumbo johnboy...

hehe nice one dragon. i think mr eckies will understand it tho
points that might be interest to everyone are:
"The metabolism of MDMA involves N-demethylation to 3,4-methylenedioxyamphetamine (MDA)"
so your body turns MDMA into MDA, kind of interesting. anyone know anything more about this?
"O-demethylenation in humans is catalyzed by cytochrome P450 isoenzyme, CYP2D6, also known as debrisoquine-4-hydroxylase. This enzyme is expressed polymorphically in humans and about 5-9% of the Caucasian population is deficient for this enzyme acitivity."
the enzyme that breaks down MDMA in your body is missing in a few people. i remember reading about this but i'd forgotten the name of the actual enzyme.
the reason i remembered was that some guy said on the 60 minutes board that "xtc is unnatural so how can your body be expected to deal with it? it doesnt grow in nature does it?"
my answer was that MDMA is an amphetamine based chemical which had many close relations in nature, like ephedrine, which occur in many plants. there is this specific enzyme which breaks it down so that argument is absurd.
the fact that some people dont have it is not unusual. many people are missing all sorts of enzymes, its just one of those genetic quirks, what the missing enzyme would mean to you is that you have a higher than normal chance of overdosing because your body cant break down the chemical as efficiently. this could explain why some people can take one pill and have a great time. but if they have two or more get very sick.
a "normal" dosage of MDMA (70 to 120mg) seems unlikely to hurt you even if you are enzyme defiecient. of course knowing how much is in a pill is the trick...
there is an enzyme in your body called alcohol dehydrogenase which is crucial to breaking down the booze you drink. apparently men and women have different levels of this enzyme and it is thought that this has more to do with the difference between the sexes and drinking than has body mass.
some people dont have this enzyme or have very little... possibly the reason behind the two can screamer?
smile.gif

i just checled the med q&a forum and in answer to this question this link was suggested. if you think the above is heavy going it might not be for you.
http://www.uclm.es/inabis2000/symposia/05.htm
i do love one of the seminar titles tho:
"Abuse Liability of gamma-hydroxybutyric acid in rodents "
all i can say mona and ping, look out for rodents stealing your stash!
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by johnboy (edited 13 May 2000).]