• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Can you be asleep if your brain is still awake?

*~Chibimunki~*

Ex-Bluelighter
Cuz I lied in bed all last night but my head was wide awake and I could never fall asleep but my body was still!

You could be experiencing some form of sleep paralysis. I've had it before and it's no fun at all. I feel fucked up and I feel like I'm dreaming, but I also feel awake. It's strange.

Well I did alot of coke last night and the thing is I can usually pass right out after but not tonight and considering I was never fully asleep I got out of bed quite refreshed!

Sometimes that happens to me on the off occasion i do speed. I get so tired I have to lay down. I never go to sleep, really, just sort of daze out. Then I get up a few hours later and feel as if i had slept.

I get insomnia alot even when I dont do any drugs! If I can't sleep, I'll still just lie there for a few hours with eyes closed and try to get some rest.

Your brain never goes to sleep. Notice when you go to sleep, you have dreams.... usuallly means somethings happening up there.

I've heard rest can be worth upto 75% of sleep value. I don't believe it's that high but presumably you can feel refreshed providing your mind isn't racing all night.

Well it was racing all night I lay in bed about 9hrs with my eyes closed and only managed to fall asleep twice which was inturrupted by my body twitching violently once as soon as I fell asleep! :X The thing is when I got out of bed I wasn't tired at all and wasn't tired at work and even went too the gym that evening.......

It happened to me the night before last. I just could not drop off to sleep but I knew that I was really tired so I lay there all night with my eyes closed, fully aware that I wasnt asleep but not finding it difficult to lay there anyway. I knew I needed to rest and when I got up I felt as refreshed as if I had slept all night.

That's kind of cool. Maybe you were asleep and dreamt (sp?) that you were awake all night. I've also had kind of similar experiences with speed, but I never wake up feeling refreshed the next day.. so it must be something different.

well i can explain what happens to me... i dont know if it happens to you orif you talking about somthing else but here it gos

alright before i wake up in the morning sometimes my eyes will open a crack and i can see everything... i can make out what everything is but when i go to move at all icant... i psyically cannot move... so i lay there trying to move any bodypart at all... last time i was watching the clock and it took me 10 min to be able to move my pinky... once i manage to move one body part i can move everything... but it is really creepy.. the first time it happend tome ((falling asleep at school)) i seriously thought i was dead...nd that was what death was like... it almost brought me to tears and then i could move... scaryest experence of my life... someone mentioned t me that this is sleep paralysis ((SP))

You probably fall asleep but your brain never reaches the REM stage.

Your brain never goes to sleep. Notice when you go to sleep, you have dreams.... usuallly means somethings happening up there

Try going on a 4 day speed binge and tell me that! Your brain does go to sleep. It is not dead. There are different wavelengths(or types of chemoelectrical impulses) between awake and sleep states. Never heard of the stages of sleep?

I did a whole post on this once before. To lazy to look it up. But, what you are experiencing is Sleep Paralysis. Do a google search on it and Lucid Dreaming.

Basically. If you can manage to not panic when this happens, close your eyes and tell yourself that you are okay. You then think of an easy thing that you've wanted to do. Flying is the most common one. You think of yourself, floating off your bed and flying around the room. Trust me, it can happen you can actually have a lucid dream at this point. The whole key is NOT to panic because you’re awake and can't move.

Also, for those who just don't like it happening at all. I've found that if I lay on my left side, it tends to happen. Sleeping on my right side, it's NEVER happened.

Jay

this is called a hypnogogic state, and commonly involves paralysis and feelings of an intruder in the room. In the middle ages, BTW, it was thought that demons were visiting the person. anyway, it's harmless but disturbing.

I'm sure I've been asleep but still awake whilst on Stilknoxs. I've had some very strange awakening dreams on those.

shals! :)

SmokeTrails said:
but it is really creepy.. the first time it happend tome ((falling asleep at school)) i seriously thought i was dead...nd that was what death was like... it almost brought me to tears and then i could move... scaryest experence of my life... someone mentioned t me that this is sleep paralysis ((SP))

Yeah that's definately sleep paralysis. It happens to me in a different way - I feel like I am being pulled down through my bed, kind of falling through the floor. It is quite scary but now that I know it is harmless, and what it is, I go with it and it's sort of fun.

It is considered to be a lot more common while sleeping on your back, which is the only way I can sleep.

Thats evil!! This might explain something that happened to me a few years back... I had been taking quiet a few drugs on the weekend it happened and fell into a deep sleep and was dreaming that a spirit possessed me.

I remember being woken by a violent JOLT and then feelin as if my body was being taken over by something EVIL! I remember trying to scream and talk and move but i was just frozen paralized and it freaked the god damn shit outta me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So thats the same deal huh?? Sleep paralysis?

Freaky freaky stuff

Damn! I get the same shit! I am wide awake but can't get up for shit I can barely manage to move my arms and I end up trying to pull my head up off my bed and trying to jerk myself out of bed......

Actually, the body goes into REM cycles every 70 to 90 minutes even if you are awake. Some people even experience brief hallucinations during this period, and almost everyone at some time experiences hallucinations or bright color patterns in the moments before falling to sleep at some point in their life. This is just due to the REM cycle.

What is going on when you wake up and find yourself unable to move is that you are simply in a REM state and it takes a few moments/minutes for your brain to catch up and realize it's time to get up and allow you to move. It's nothing to panic about unless it happens a lot, in which case you may have some type of treatable sleep disorder. I've heard of narcoleptics getting symptoms like that as well .