Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Opium made easy - One gardeners encounter with the war on drugs

-Thoth

Bluelight Crew
A really fascinating article I thought would interest a few of you in here. Long, but worthwhile.
Last season was a strange one in my garden, notable not only for the unseasonably cool and wet weather--the talk of gardeners all for its climate of paranoia. One flower was the cause: a tall, breathtaking poppy, with silky scarlet petals and a black heart, the growing of which, I discovered rather too late, is a felony under state and federal law. Actually, it's not quite as simple as that. My poppies were, or became, felonious; another gardener's might or might not be. The legality of growing opium poppies (whose seeds are sold under many names, including the breadseed poppy, Papaver paeoniflorum, and, most significantly, Papaver somniferum) is a tangled issue, turning on questions of nomenclature and epistemology that it took me the better part of the summer to sort out. But before I try to explain, let me offer a friendly warning to any gardeners who might wish to continue growing this spectacular annual: the less you know about it, the better off you are, in legal if not horticultural terms. Because whether or not the opium poppies in your garden are illicit depends not on what you do, or even intend to do, with them but very simply on what you know about them. Hence my warning: if you have any desire to grow opium poppies, you would be wise to stop reading right now...

More after the jump: [Linky]

^ so basically to pretend that the poppies you have are for display purposes, and pretending not to have an understanding about what it could potentially be used for. Wish it was that easy for weed!!!

This is an American article though. Does anyone know the exact legal status here in OZ?

lorenzo_benzo: True, trouble is its hard to say a huge ball of opium resin has any "asthetic" value (to a non-drug user =) )

Soopy: I believe that Opium Popies are illegal to cultivate or harvest in Australia. However its not uncommon for many law abiding people to grow them without knowing what they are, however these people would only grow a small number in gardens full of other ornamental plants.
I suspect any arrest would be based on proof that the poppy was being harvested. There has been at least one case I know of where with has occured. The person involved was jailed on the charges after a lengthy trial. You many be able to find details if you do a web search.