Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Mirtazapine and MDMA

researchemist

Ex-Bluelighter
Hey I was wondering if anyone out there regularly takes Mirtazapine and also uses MDMA. Have you noticed any decreased effects of pills while taking it? While Mirtazapine stimulates serotonin and noradrenaline production in the brain it also is a strong antagonist of the 5HT-2 and 5HT-3 receptors in the brain. By blocking these receptors, the drug helps to overcome the side-effects associated with high seritonin levels in the brain such as diarrhea and difficulty urinating. These receptors are responsible for those side effects, but they may also be responsible for the beneficial effects of MDMA aswell, so that even when the drug is consumed, the user may only be left with stimulatory side effects. As Mirtazapine (or Remeron/Avanza as it is commonly known) is a relatively new anti-depressant, not much is known about it's interactions with illicit substances, except that it completely blocks the effect of psilocybin mushrooms and psychedelics of the same group(as these substances act entirely on the 5HT-2 receptor which is being blocked).

If anyone has experience with Mirtazapine and regularly takes psychoactives, any experience reports would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I was prescribed mirtazapine for a little under a year, and during that time took MDMA (once) LSD (twice) and DMT (once) with no negative effects. I didn't notice any decreased effects as far as LSD was concerned, although the MDMA seemed a little weaker than usual. Obviously though that may have had more to do with the quality of the pill than any interaction with the mirtazapine.

There's an anti-depressants and recreational drugs FAQ in the drug FAQs forum. It has some information on mirtazapine - although like you said, not much is known about its interactions with illegal drugs, so I don't think there's any definitive way of knowing whether you'll be 'safe' or not, or what the effects will be if you mix it with something else.

Thanks for your reply, i'm not trying to determine whether i'll be 'safe' as I have taken the two together many times and have had no ill effects, but I am just trying to determine whether or not my crap experiences with MDMA lately are purely because i am taking mirtazapine(not because i go out too much etc). I do advise others who read this and other similar threads never to discontinue a prescribed medication because it may interfere with your recreational substance use. This is especially true for people on anti-depressants as MDMA, amphetamines and most psychedelics seriously alter the balance of various neurotransmitters in the brain(which if you are on anti-depressants are probably out of whack already). Tread carefully people, make sure you get your priorities right.

i have taken mirtazapine(avanza) on ice, and e. Didn't cause serotonin sydnrome or decrease the effects at all. So you shouldn't have any problems... but give the anvanza a days break just in case.

I would be very carefull mixing these two. Avanza (brand) is not a full SSRI but know as an NSRI - so you will still roll, but I would say not quite the same. Question is if you are taking this medication to make yourself better having mdxx while on it will pretty much defeat the purpose of taking it.

^ it doesn't make a difference. Sometimes i wonder wtf avanza does.

One thing however i noticed that when i was on avanza, lsd didn't have any effects, i smoked some ice + 2 microdots and didn't feel the acid at all.

lorenzo_benzo said:
^ it doesn't make a difference. Sometimes i wonder wtf avanza does.

One thing however i noticed that when i was on avanza, lsd didn't have any effects, i smoked some ice + 2 microdots and didn't feel the acid at all.

Now why the hell would you want to ruin a good trip with smoking ice over the top of it, tisk tisk no wonder it didnt work.

Its primary functions is actually as a muscle relaxant. Medically it is used for people who may suffer from chronic tention headache or have problems with anxiety. Also it is used for people that have sleeping disorders (a hallmark of depression).

This is why I would suggest that taking rec drugs - especially anything meth based would defeat the point of taking the medication

AlexxRed: I don't see how using md while on this particular anti-depressant would defeat the purpose of taking the medication. Are you saying that eating pills causes depressed mood so much as to render the medication ineffective?

Anyway people should know that as the noadrenaline levels in the brain are increased by this medication, the use of amphetamines while taking it may cause mania(mania as in the medical definition, eg. distinctive gait, agressiveness etc.) in some individuals. So if you are intent on using amphetamines/adrenaline and amphetamine related psychedelics (eg. DOM, STP, MD, Mescaline). Just slow everything down till you know how your body is reacting.