• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

GHB Paper in the Medical Journal of Australia

Having your work published is always a great honour.

Fantastic article. It definately brings a lot of the major concerns about current GHB usage into the public eye. Its great to have someone like David on our side. :)

This sentence echoes my sentiments exactly..
Users and advocates of this drug incorrectly differentiate overdose and “g-ing out” — unconsciousness after using this drug is an overdose.

stace.

GHB and GHB-like drugs are taken to induce a euphoric feeling, an effect that occurs at a dose not much lower than that required to induce unconsciousness

Risking your life over a couple of Mls.

Did anyone else find two of the deaths a bit more like suicides? One who was found in his car with a hose attached to the exhaust and the other who fell from a balcony and had a history of depression.

But yeah, one of the 'more' impartial articles to have appeared in the media.

Originally posted by kooky_swanky
But yeah, one of the 'more' impartial articles to have appeared in the media.

It wasn't a news story it was a medical paper. I agree that some GHB related deaths may have not necessarily have been accidental, however the majority would be.

I absolutely agree with the suicide comment, but we have made no attempt to assign motive to the ingestion of GHB/GBL/1,4-BD (one, possibly 2 may have been even more sinister). The point of the article was that GHB-like overdoses kill people, even in the absence of alcohol. The blood levels are absolutely consistent with recreational overdose levels in deaths elsewhere around the world, so we considered motivation for ingestion as mute. There has been a fair bit of talk about blood levels for G overdoses, which I have always thought a bit irrelevant- all you need to die is enough to relax your airway, which will vary from person to person.
I think the other important take home message is that ALL of these patients died BEFORE they got to hospital (2 were in full cardiac arrest- which is as near to death as not really mattering). We could find NO record- anywhere in the world- of ANYONE dying from G overdose if they got to an ER in good time (ie before they completely stop breathing). Stepping over someone who has overdosed in the false hope that they will just come around may be the decision point on an algorithm that leads to their death. We currently hold the 'world record' for the highest blood levels of GHB in a patient, but because someone got her to us in time, we were able to resuscitate her- after 14 hours in a coma! But that's for another paper...;)

I think that any self respecting user of this family of substances should at the very least read the list of fatalities , the actives found in urine/blood and atempts made to revive these people. It brings into stark relief what your risking when you take this substances, especialy without deliberating over past substance use that may effect the outcome.

An old friend of mine was recently just released from 2 months in a mental institution after he overdosed on approx. 9-15 mls of GHB liquid (he didn't measure the dose) and 3-4 standard strength beers. He was found unconscious a couple of hours later and died twice on the way to Geelong Hospital. I had previously had some of it from the same bottle, though a much smaller, measured dosage and enjoyed the effects in a controlled environment. If you are going to take this stuff, make sure you know what you are doing.

Just my 2 cents...

Kadorite..

He went to a mental instituition for 2 months from overdosing on G? Is there a bit more to this story? or did he only have G and beer? buck_reed

Nicely written article though.. thanks for sharing

InSoMnIa^: Its quite possible he was in a clinic due to psycological fallout from what hapend to him... who knows

Interesting Article.

Wondering, does anyone know what is a SAFE/NON LETHAL level of GHB to have in ur system in mg/L .

I just want to compare it with the report on those who died.. just for my knowledge.

Cheers
:)

I knew someone would reply with something like that...

gee

A dose that wont kill you!!

RiseGurl said:
I knew someone would reply with something like that...

gee

A dose that wont kill you!!

Think about it, there are so many different factors to look at here. It is going to vary with everyone that uses the substance.

No one can give you a safe dose. There is no such dosage that is going to be 100% safe 100% of the time. There are so many factors to consider that the only completely safe dosage is as a_e said 0.

I think you're misinterpreting the question...

As far as I can ascertain, RiseGurl would like a figure of the amount of G in mg/L that would normally be present in someone who had taken an average dose of G (average meaning they are experiencing the positive effects of G, and are not likely to fall asleep). The postmortem levels were given in the paper, but if you have nothing to compare that to then what does it really mean?

GHB levels in overdose have been well described. In one series, serum levels ranged from 45 mg/L to 295 mg/L, with a median of 180 mg/L. GHB levels associated with death are less frequently described. The average level in the cases in our series in which GHB was thought to have definitely contributed to death was 231 mg/L, with a range of 77–370 mg/L. This compares with other mean postmortem levels of 112.3 mg/L, and isolated GHB overdose levels of 345 mg/L.

Basically, I have a dose of G that is 10mL (this is at a specific and known concentration and is a dose that I personally know will not send me to hospital unless under extraordinary circumstances). What kind of range would be expected to be measured if I was tested?

stace.

Very interesting and informative. Guess it really does outline the dangers of GHB. Hopefully people can gain some understanding from this about the risk they are taking when consuming GHB. This said I am not anti GHB and suggesting that anyone who takes it is a fool, I know a number of responsible users out there just the same as I know a number of responsible users of other drugs.
Also, I think that it is all very important that this information such as this study is put to good use. It is all very well and good to have done the research, now the knowledge gained from it must be put to use. I'm quite sure that the average GHB user does not flick through medical journals in their spare time and only a very small amount of them would be present here on BL to have it bought to their attention.

Beech out

14.gif