Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

alcohol & drug regulation in oz

pinkanga

Bluelighter
Hey,

If anyone could help me out with this I would really appeciate it. Im researching the above topic for an essay in the context of alcohol and drug taking (legal & illegal) as a leisure activity.

Im trying to work out just how much control each of the levels of govt has over laws, guidelines and regulations for legal and illegal drug use. I know that the federal govt basically has a lot of control but how control do the states have and how much of this control is implemented and exercised?

Im just having trouble finding info on what powers the levels of govt has and how much of the every day law that we experience each is set by federal or state govt.

Any info or advice would be great.

Cheers.

I take this is an essay for uni. Check with your uni's criminology department (if it has one) and they should be able to point you in the right direction. Otherwise use your uni's library and article search and type in something like 'recreational use of alcohol and illegal drugs'. or something along the lines of 'Australian legislation on alcohol and illegal drugs'. You could also always go and ask at your general members office

The states have full control over possession etc. The states have unlimited legislative power, with the exception of what s51 of the constitution specifically provides shall be the domain of the the federal government (e.g. armed forces)

The federal government only has powers over importation e.g. customs. Check s51 of the constitution for the powers the federal government has. It can ONLY create laws within those powers.