• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Drug Abuse Warning Signs (collect the whole set!)

johnboy

Bluelight Crew
i've see thist list around for a while, it's put out by that D.A.R.E. anti-drug group from the states.
these are things to look out for in your child, or yourself i guess, as possible waring signs of drug use:
(my personal favourite is "weight loss/gain" too skinny? its drugs... too fat? its drugs...)
Drug abuse warning signs
According to D.A.R.E, being aware of changes in your child's behavior, possessions, or physical appearance is a first step toward detecting substance abuse. They suggest that parents who have ongoing dialogues with their children will have an advantage over parents who do not. Interaction, involvement, and communication provide an opportunity to observe early signs and symptoms of problems, if any exist.
BEHAVIORAL SYMPTOMS
1. A sudden change in your child's circle of friends
2. A change in school grades or behavior
3. Evasive behavior and/or lying
4. Overly emotional
5. Sudden and extreme mood swings
6. Overreacting to mild criticism or simple requests
7. An ability to manipulate
8. A noticeable lack of self-discipline
9. An inability to follow rules
10. Anxiety
11. Changes in sleeping patterns
12. Hostile or argumentative attitude
13. Refusal or hostility when asked to talk about possible drug or alcohol use
14. Sudden loss of interest in family activities
15. Irregular hours or wanting to pursue activities at unusual times
PHYSICAL SYMPTOMS
1. Poor physical appearance
2. Abnormally pale complexion
3. Weight loss or gain
4. Chronic fatigue, lack of energy and vitality
5. Short-term memory loss
6. Continually run-down health
7. Bloodshot eyes, constantly dilated pupils, droopy eyelids
8. Problems with coordination
9. Dramatic appetite changes
10. Changes in speech and vocabulary patterns
------------------
.... he who makes a beast of himself, rids himself of the pain of being a man...
[This message has been edited by johnboy (edited 03 May 2000).]

Funny... those physical symptoms are almost exactly the same as those listed in "Warning signs to know if your spouse/family member has taken up a job in IT"...
BigTrancer
smile.gif

Alot of those seem to be common symptoms of a teenager going through puberty as well, could make it a little more difficult to detect...
- bfd.

Hey! Some of us have plausible explanations for those things...
1. A sudden change in your child's circle of friends
response:
That's what happens when you go to uni... You gotta follow the crowd that has the answers to ALL the assignments and exams!
2. A change in school grades or behavior
response:
Hey! It's not my fault the teacher's hate me.. And damn that Religious Ed is a hard subject!
3. Evasive behavior and/or lying
response:
What??? Kids have ALWAYS lied!! It's part of growing up...
4. Overly emotional
response:
Obviously being mothered too long and due to watching too much crap on tv
5. Sudden and extreme mood swings
response:
It's damn HARD living in this day and age! Cut me some slack!
6. Overreacting to mild criticism or simple requests
response:
Nothing IS simple! Damn mum, I'm too wrecked from the weekend to put out the garbage!
7. An ability to manipulate
response:
Sheeesh...D.A.R.E welcome to the real world!
8. A noticeable lack of self-discipline
response:
Yeah...should I take one pill and a few lines of g or maybe two pills and few bulbs? Decisions, decisions..
9. An inability to follow rules
response:
ha ha ha... Weren't they meant to be broken?
10. Anxiety
response:
Can't wait for the next roll.....
11. Changes in sleeping patterns
response:
Sleep? Hmmm what a great idea!
12. Hostile or argumentative attitude
response:
WHAT??!!! YOU MUST BE CRAZY! NO WAY!
13. Refusal or hostility when asked to talk about possible drug or alcohol use
response:
Do ya blame me?
14. Sudden loss of interest in family activities
response:
he he he... I never did like them and what do you expect? I've discovered LOVE...(Lsd, Orgasms, V and Ecstacy..)
15. Irregular hours or wanting to pursue activities at unusual times
response:
hmm.. I wonder if me working PART-TIME and at studying at NIGHT has something to do with this?
PHYSICAL SYMPTOMS
1. Poor physical appearance
response:
Don't go to the gym...
2. Abnormally pale complexion
response:
Looking tanned is passe' and unhealthy!
3. Weight loss or gain
response:
Does this need a response?
4. Chronic fatigue, lack of energy and vitality
response: Hmmmm.sounds like Glandular fever or CFT...
5. Short-term memory loss
response:
Is that a bad thing?
6. Continually run-down health
response:
Goooodd!!!!!
7. Bloodshot eyes, constantly dilated pupils, droopy eyelids
response: Hmmm shouldn't have had that bong before stepping out of my bedroom... DAMN!!
8. Problems with coordination
response:
An unco kid? I see them everywhere!
9. Dramatic appetite changes
response:
These usually happen around 7.00am, 12.30pm and 6.30pm. Amazing, from no appetite to voila'!
10. Changes in speech and vocabulary patterns
response:
Errrr, dooppp aaa weerhhss hjhehrrehg hheer...huhhh??

These guidelines are by no means accurate. This relies on pure hearsay, and personal perception.
I strongly think that parents should have more power in determining whether the children are dabbling in illicit drugs. The only real answer is autopsy.
All children between the age of 13 - 17 should undergo a government forced autopsy, and every 6 months after, until the age of 18.
I will be starting a petition, and would appreciate all your support.
Thankyou for your time.

pkn: once again you have made me literally laugh out loud... amd gotten me into trouble... keep up the great work
yeah, first time i saw this list i thought "uh that was me at 13, and i didnt even start smoking crack till i was 14! what gives?"

pkn..he he he he he
But why stop at 18??
And the 'test' should include all orifices checked (there may be some stray powder/specs in there! ;-) )!
jb..At 14? God that's young...I waited until I had my 16th and then hit the drugs. By the way is mary-g-wana a drug? Ooops! better make that 10 then...

And this comes from the country which would rather have you out shooting things at 10 years old instead of having some innocent fun at a little rave...
Hugs don't kill people! People kill people!

damn I've got 60% of the symptoms...and I'm working on getting the other 40% in the near future...LONG LIVE DRUGS...um...again...I go over the top...
smile.gif
p.h.
smile.gif

And this from the one who admits going over the top recently (yes i say i abbused my drugs - well wasted too many atleast for too little a buzz)
I only have 3-4 (actually 6)out of the 25 symptoms
[This message has been edited by mini-mE (edited 03 May 2000).]

Actually Ive read that list and I dont think there is too much wrong with it. I think back to when I was a kid, my parents only had to contend with me throwing up over the carpet from drinking too much.
Parents these days will have a lot more to contend with. And I think anything that can prevent drug usage from becoming drug abuse has to be a good thing.
What Id like to know is what is the percentage of people 16-25 that take drugs now versus, say 10-15 years ago.
Maybe I had a sheltered life, but when I grew up, all I knew of really was grass - I tried it, didnt like it - end of story.
These days when I go out, I reckon almost everyone is on something.

pkn, it is late and I am very tired, so please excuse me if your post was meant to be funny, but isn't an autopsy the study of a dead body??? I am slightly confused and extremely tired.
------------------
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

smurf, i looked down that list, and when i thought back to being a teenager, i counted 12 behavioural symptoms and 6 physical ones. and i didnt touch any drugs other than alcohol until after high school.
most of the physical symptoms came from a radical vegetarian diet, minus the veggies.
most of the behavioural ones came from inate tendancies, being a teenager, and being undiagnosed bipolar (being a teenager made that so much the worse, those were my hell days)
okay, i'm going to stop thinking about my teenage years. thankgod they're over.
smilez everyone
smile.gif

Magoo, I was taking the piss, hope you got a restful sleep.
------------------
Keep on PeaKiN!! (King of all pea's)

Top Warning Sign You Have A Drug Problem:
1. You blow your nose Monday morning, and it turns your hanky black!....hellllooooo?!?!?!?
anyone else
smile.gif

candyflip
------------------
The latest Event info, Pill Tests and Club Listings, online: http://www.the-peak.com.au

Love sniffling in the Monday morning meeting and getting the nice taste of charlie at the back of the throat....
------------------
Don't stop grooming the wookie....

Candyflip the coke I get is so smooth not even a baby's bottom would smell bad
wink.gif

Not a problem really, just an expensive habit