Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Link between Ecstacy and Prozac...

SpankY

Bluelighter
Was in a psychology lecture today, and was told that the reason MDMA works is that it blocks the reuptake of 5HT (thats serotonin) by the brain - that is, when the brain has released it to give you a little feelgood buzz, it stays hanging around and working on the neurones so that the buzz keeps getting bigger and bigger.
Interestingly, Prozac does exactly the same thing to the brain with regards to 5HT. The reason they are different is that MDMA also does other stuff to your brain, like release dopamine.
So...has anybody taken ecstacy while they are on Prozac? I would be interested to hear what the effect is. I guess that either the feelgood feeling would be heightened, or if you have been on Prozac for a while, it would not be as good.
So, anybody with info?
SpankY

alas its the reverse... people on prozac have pretty much all the good side effects of MDMA completely blocked by the action of the SSRI. do a search thru the whole board on prozac and i'm sure you'll see heaps of first hand reports.
prozac is apparently good for stoping the neurotoxicity of MDMA and many people swear by taking some during a come down (before the damage really starts). keep in mind tho that you will then not be able to roll until all the prozac is out of your system again. this may take up to a month. but a month betwee is rolls is surely a good thing
smile.gif

but i still have my doubts about prozac. i have seen too many people screwed up by it. there is growing evidence that prozac is just as harmful for you over the long term as MDMA. i suspect that this will be the tobacco issue of twenty years from now, ie multinational giant companies funding research to deny incresingly obvious claims of damage caused by their product.
but thats just me. i dont trust anyone
wink.gif

perhaps the lecture was trying not to get too technical but MDMA definitely does a lot more than prozac.
It gets on the receptors and whilist possible limiting serotonin reuptake it also literally opens the flood gates of the serotonin axons, and an enormous amount of serotonin is released, thats the difference between MDMA and SSRIs.

hey spanky, would u happen to be in the same lecture as i was ??
if the lecture hall was the WALLACE theatre, then ill say.. it's a small world aint it ??
smile.gif

oh, dangermouse, saw your letter in 3D
wink.gif

------------------
p*L*u*R*
KaTz
;)

Hey Katz,
Yep. Its a damn tiny world. I wonder who you are... I hope they have that FreakyLoops dance party in the wentworth this year, maybe Ill see you there.
SpankY