Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film: The Manchurian Candidate (2004)

jpgrdnr

Bluelighter
Never seen the original.

I didn't think Denzel did a bad job of acting. Overall its a least a good rental. Very dark film.
I thought it had really big production though. Good to see the Dean Stockwell cameo. Streep
puts out a show stopper of a performance.

Demme puts on a really good flair to the whole thing. Its sort of paranoia creepiness, almost near future. The CNN news show was very well done. Very boxing match flash.

It was shot well.

this film was ok. it's not my kind of movie, but i still enjoyed it.

I liked the movie. I think it makes alot more sense if it is put in context of the old movie.

**********SPOILERS***********

I was thoroughly enjoying this until the climax. What a shithouse ending to an otherwise outstanding dark movie.

What does the end say?
White rich men have greater will power than black poor men. Sounds ludicrous but fuck man, they're the only two differences between the main two characters, and both are brainwashed, but only one intervenes and prevents the disaster. Being totally unexplained any other way, it only leaves their diferences to distinguish why one could "deprogram" himself and the other couldn't.

Seriously loved it up until that point.

deus ex machina strikes again.

I liked it.

I think Denzel is an amazing actor, and this performance is nothing short of his best.

Lots of twists, and you just wanna keep watching it from the beginning. Good movie.

I'd give it 3 of 4 stars.

I'm watching this right now and I'm fucking freeeaked out. Government brain tampering/implants. I'm high as shit and quite enjoying it so far.

damn..i'm gonna have to watch this again. i absolutely love govt flicks. problem with me and movies is that i get too stoned to pay attention to it, then get too dry-eyed and tired to stay awake for it. i fell asleep early in this movie and dont' remember what it's about at all.

will watch again very soon!

i HATE that they change the twist. the original version is a bajillion times better.

Left to Right said:
I was thoroughly enjoying this until the climax. What a shithouse ending to an otherwise outstanding dark movie.

What does the end say?
White rich men have greater will power than black poor men. Sounds ludicrous but fuck man, they're the only two differences between the main two characters, and both are brainwashed, but only one intervenes and prevents the disaster. Being totally unexplained any other way, it only leaves their diferences to distinguish why one could "deprogram" himself and the other couldn't.

Ah, yo mamma has a shithouse ending!

I have since began to half forgive the above criticism. It's still valid and the plot point is very cheap, but that's pretty common these days.

I didn't quite understand the ending, he assassinates the sleeper ? He was programmed to assassinate the president the whole time or that was just done near the end ? Was the vice-president getting worked on consistantly or were those operations just a hallucination? It was a bit too farfetched, but mind manipulation stuff like this is going on today, especially cracking people with sleep deprivation/torture tactics in the middle east. These people come out absolutly BROKEN. Ahh... fucked up shit...

As for the implants, sounds like some BS to me, but who knows I would quite possibly allow them to insert a chip on my brain where at the push of a button it could simulate pain medication or stimulant effects...

Last edited:
Left to Right said:

What does the end say?

i can't say this for certain, as i saw this sometime ago and i'm also currently drunk, but i recall denzel's character shooting the vice president instead of his intended target out of choice after the vice gave him the nod. if i'm right, then both were as strong willed as each other. ???

have not seen the original, but thought it was a good mainstream, big budget flick. saw too many references to the neocons for my liking. scary.