Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

pulling out of a trip

Bent

Bluelighter
Over the weekend a friend had a dropped a couple of pills (Mighty Ducks apparently). Anyway she didn't get much except really trippy - and it turned into a really bad trip - she didn't like it at all.
Now, I have been able to help most people through stuff before, but I know nothing about trips - how do you get people out of a bad one? Any help would be appreciated for future reference - drugs? words of wisdom? mind tricks, anything that would help pull a person back from a bad trip (apparently she felt really 'apprehensive' and heavy chested, like it was never going to end.

Bent
a trip can put u in a real mind rut...you can get stuck on the same thought or feeling and have these turn into a complete fuckn twisted nightmare. it's like when your really scattered and can't let go of a thought, but worry it to death.
although i've been lucky enough to have never had a real bad one, a good friend of mine reacts really badly to them ... last trip he had he though he had died and was in purgatory..
anyway like i was crapping on, u can get stuck in the one place. i guess for me a change of environment really helps (like going from a club to the beach) or having a lot of things and people to keep u occupied. my personal problem is that i can never sit still on a T and get paranoid if i'm stuck in the one place. of course having friends around who understand always helps. there's nothing like a good mate telling u you're ok and still with it, when u feel as if you've just landed on mars. i've also heard that extremely large amounts (whatever that may be) of vitamin C can actually help u come off LSD. don't know whether that's true or just a myth tho, might have to look it up at some stage.
hope i've helped and haven't babbled on too much
cya
smile.gif

Hey Bent.
A bad trip can be a pretty fucked up experience(understatement I know), have only had one full on one and with help from the brilliant company I had (Bluelighters actually), I managed to turn it around. I would rather not describe it here, but what I really craved was reassurance that everything was fine, that it would go away. I didn't want to be in a claustrophibic loud area, but didn't want to be in a city alley vulnerable to who knows what. It's good to move around and be surrounded by people who want to help you and are on a happy vibe. Once you start moving and realising that everything is cool, things start to look a bit better.
The vitamin c thing? I've heard orange juice enhances a trip and I've also heard vitamin c will help kill it..from personal experience? Had some Learys last year and some fruit juice actually diminished it! (didn't want this one killed though!)
smile.gif
The thing I've read the most that can kill bad trips is niacin, I've yet to try it. But I would say, try the TLC.
smile.gif

here from lyceaum check it out: http://www.lycaeum.org/drugs/Tryptamines/Lysergic/FAQ_LSD_NEW1.html#item5
------------------
Feed Your Head.

Vitamin C tablets will end your trip, whether it be good, bad or otherwise, within half an hour. (Acid/LSD, that is.)

Vitamin C, B or anything else doesnt end a trip. Some drugs can be dulled by alcohol or sedatives but not terminated. All hostipals do is give sedatives.
The best thing you can do is try to distract the person. After reassuring them that everything will b okay and itll all end and there in okay health, take them somewhere with more light, change the topic. Tell them a story, put on a comedy video. Just try to get there mind out of the loop.

The best thing to do, I found, is to simply be there with the person and not constantly say "You'll be fine". Find a soothing sound and repeat it whenever they start getting bad agai...for example "shhhhhh". It helps the person without making them think they are "bad". Also definitely Orange Juice, Lemons, all fruit really and sugar. I've been told that lots of sugar helps get rid of the tripping (eg. really strong cordial drink).
Taking them for walks and constantly changing the scenery to keep their mind off the "weird and worrying" stuff in their head helps too. And remember you have to fulfill all their "needs". If they want you to do one thing, DO IT. Then they change it to something else, DO IT TOO. Don't think "Oh, they are just whinging...don't know what they want...I'll do what I think's the best".
The most important thing is that they know that you are there for them and keep telling them that it will be over in a few hours, so "just hold on".
Sing them songs they like, talk about things they feel safe with, things taht love. Ask what makes them feel safe and talk about it. Create a little "safe place" in their mind where they can quickly retreat to get away from the "bad stuff". And whatever you do...STAY WITH THEM!!!
They are the things I find useful when trying to help friends...I don't know of anything that completely "pulls you out of a trip" so the suggestions above are just things that you can do to make it easier on them until the shit wears off...
Hope it helps...
smile.gif
princehamlet
smile.gif

There are a couple of things to try, firstly the fruit juice I have heard, secondly the strong cordial aswell, and thirdly apparently asprin will kill a trip, not panadol. ASPRIN.
Other than that, if someone is getting visuals, agree that you can see them so they don't think they are crazy and so they don't feel alone.
My boyfriend was trying to go to sleep during a bad trip where he though everything was trying to kill him, after agreeing I saw the jaws on the lamp shade that we couldn't walk past we lay down and he was breathing really heavily, as though he was scarred, when I asked what was wrong he said he could see something darting out from behind the tv but couldn't see what it was cause it was to quick.
After watching the tv for a minute and thinking whether a clown would be a good thing to say (No! don't you remember IT) I turned and told him it was a balloon. He confirmed the colour with me and was completely relaxed and slept straight away.
Just agree with them & give them someone in the same place as them kind of thing
smile.gif

sorry for the babbling!
jaX*

vitamen c, cordial and fruit juice are all great placebos, but only full on anti-psychotic drugs will "end a trip"... but giving someone some orange juice and telling them it will cure them is more preferable than taking them to hospital... its a lie, sure, but its a little white lie that will help them... this quote from the erowid LSD FAQ sums it up
"BAD TRIPS:
A person on LSD who becomes depressed, agitated, or confused may experience these feelings in an overwhelming manner
that grows on itself. The best solution is to remove disturbing influences, get to a safe, comforting environment, and reassure the
tripper that things are alright. It may comfort those who fear that they are losing their minds to be reminded that it will end in several hours.
Authorities are fond of administering injections of anti-psychotic drugs. Recovery in the presence of authorities, in hospitals or police stations, is not pleasant. Sedatives or tranquilizers such as Valium may help reduce panic and anxiety, but the best
solution is calm talking. Some claim that niacin (an over the counter vitamin supplement) can abort a trip, but this may be due to a placebo effect (niacin produces a flushing effect). Remember that odd bodily sensations are normal and not harmful."
http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/lsd/lsd_faq.shtml

3 words for you:
CALM CALM CALM
People on a bad trip need calming so that they can get to the point of partially straight thinking.
Anyone who's ever gotten to that intense acid place (good or bad) will tell you that it's a pretty fucking scary experience.
Like Hamlet said, do whatever they want, however ridiculous it may seem, and let them know you are there for them.
Keep changing the scenery and give them lots of crazy funny distracting things to think about.
Ask them what they want and what would make them feel most comfortable, and do it for them. Remember that you are the one that is in the better state of mind and you are the one most capable of making decisions... make sure that they are the best ones.
Think things through before you do them... like before you take the crazy tripper somewhere, ask yourself 'if I was on acid right now, would this environment really make me feel better?'
Hope this helps...

Here are the best things in my experience.
If you do, have VALIUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is the best thing to take because it puts your concious mind to rest. Never go to a hospital, they normally give you thorazine. Which is like LSD/KETAMINE, and if you are on a bad trip! WHOA say bye bye to the nice universe and welcome hell!
What you should do is get some nice classic music, preferably Conan Di or some other relaxing peice with strings, rest on a bed or in someones arms and talk, talk, talk! Even if the tripper does not talk, there is a feeling of reassurance. Never feel worried, because most people empathise and associate with worry on a trip, this does not help.
Hope that helped. If anyone has any qualms or info to extend what I just posted critisism is welcome!
smile.gif

if the person is a smoker (ciggarette), make them KEEP SMOKING !! the minute they finish, light them up another. dont ask em, just stick it in their mouth.
it is such a normal sane thing to do and helps the mind focus on anything but how they r feeling.
thid did wonders for a mate of mine.
------------------
"just pass the vibes on, and take it easy....

Ive done way to many back in the day and ive experianced quite a few bad ones.I agree with most of the great posts so far Good company,in a place where they feel comfortable a good idea is to go to there house or something familiar and safe till they come out of it then return to party.This isnt always an option.I take some pride in being an acid sharmen if need be ,i have mostly got peeps out a bad trip by pointing out something they might grasp,like the way the moon is shinning how nice it is to look at the stars something positve and something you both see that is relevant to the mood you feel.isnt that a great colour on james! somthing to distract there thoughts from themselvs to something else.You may also just need to find something else for them to focus on eg music count the beat out till they find that touch of reality.Medication like valium is good sometimes but you need to know whats in the pill before doing this(not realy much option there).Just try to help them stop thinking by offering alternatives and they will mabey come out of it into a great trip!
I hope my small but way to much experiance helps.
A-ciiid the wicked seed a musical phenomenom Only for the HEADSTRONG make you wana scream and shout(not all the time)
smile.gif

Please dont let mates drift of on acid no matter what they say or do its a very powerfull drug . Also the Whats your name where do you live questions help out as well
If lsd is a doorway to the mind be carfull not to open it to many times as the door may not shut properly due to wear and tear!
You only need to read the babble i just wrote for that confirmation
smile.gif

I agree with hamlet totally,
You have got to be thier guiding light, a happy and friendly focus to pull them away from the downward spiral. In time the trip will wear off, but the experience will last in the mind for ever.so best make it nice.
its always best to trip when your happy, relaxed, and in comfortable surroundings with good friends who you trust and who can get ya through.
i would say that tripping on your own can be risky. done it once, never again
smile.gif

Hamlet, tripping with you would be a pleasure, you know the score.
smile.gif
"tripping" is the short vacation from the material world and into the realm of ???????

Firstly I'd like to say to Fireal, "You're welcome". You know what for...
smile.gif

I haven't taken a trip so this is probably not really THAT relevant (sorry) but at recovery after Hardware16 I totally freaked out and thought I was going to die on an *e* and my friend told me to just stand up and keep dancing - even if I could only manage slight movement. Well, slight movement it was as I was wrecked from previous dancing, however I felt heaps better and like everyone has said in this thread so far it was mainly due to taking my mind off the bad thoughts that made me feel better.
Hope this has helped you all in ANY way and if not, well at least you know I care!
smile.gif

Huggs from
Dayzee
smile.gif

Two things that I have heard (I stress, only heard) are vitamin C (as mentioned above) or niacin (you can get it in your local Safeway)
What I can assure you that works is:
1/ Get the person to a place that they feel comfortable (eg- home)
2/ Lay them down in a dark room (it might sound like a bad idea, but no visual stimulation means less of a mind fuck)
3/ Lay down with them and help them grasp reality. Assure them that they are on LSD and that they will be better in a few hours.
4/ When the person is completely ok (eg- a day or so later) kick them in the ass and yell at them for ruining your night!
Yes, point four IS tongue in cheek.

Everyones advice so far has been pretty good. The only thing that I really don't think is the best idea is to focus on the music.
I was in a bad trip once(actually brought on from pills), and my friends just told me to focus on the music, that it would help me through it, and it did for a while. But, when the music stopped..... That was a completely diffrent story. I freaked right out, thought I had died, and after about an hour of thinking that I was either losing my mind or really dying, I ended up in the emergency room! It took nine people to hold me down I was in such a state.
So my suggestion would be, distract the peorson as much as you can, but make sure they're not relying on one thing in particular to get them through it, because, that one thing might just dissapear, and then...all hell could break loose.
Anyway, that's all,
Love Chania
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Chania (edited 01 May 2000).]

Some one told me that Acid is a histamine(sp?) and that if you have a large dose of anti-histamine(sp?) you will come out of the trip within halve an hour.
Does anyone know if this is true???
------------------
Simba

I think most anti-histamines tend to prevent further damage caused by histamines being introduced or acting on the body after the anti-histamine has been administered. I don't think they reverse the action of histamines that have acted prior to the ingestion of the anti-histamine.
Someone who's done some physiol will be able to correct me on this one... BigTrancer
smile.gif

------------------
I don't want to sound paranoid, but just consider how much of what you're writing could help send you to Jail.

I fully agree with everyone but i'll add my 20cents worth and say that i've had a couple of friends that have done the same thing and what i found to work was to get them back to the car and i sat in the back and put their head on my lap and just talked to them softly as if they were babies playing with their hair and reassuring them that they were fine and telling them "that anything they thought was going to get them had to get thru me first and i wasn't going to let that happen"..what i found was if u treated them like their mothers did when they were small and fightened seemed to work the best...talking calmly and getting them to remember some really funny things they have done is a good place to start.
smile.gif

Then in a day or 2 have a talk to them about what happened and tell them not to do that to you again!!
smile.gif