Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

what does it mean to be an australian?

katmeow

Bluelight Crew
What does it mean to be Australian?

Through my sociology course, one of the ideas we keep coming back to is what it means to belong to a particular culture. i'm finding it very hard to explain what being an Australian means to me, and if indeed it is possible to get any kind of concrete definition, so I thought I'd pose the question to you all.

What does being an Australian mean to you? Can you define a typical Australian? Are there particular traits you think are representative of Aussies in general? Do you consider yourself to be Australian? (if not, why not, were you born elsewhere etc?)

For anyone not living in Australia, feel free to answer these questions in relation to your own home country.

:)

Re: What does it mean to be Australian?

katmeow said:
Can you define a typical Australian? Are there particular traits you think are representative of Aussies in general?

I try to avoid sterotypes (good and bad). That being said however, I am quite fond of beer;):)

katmeow said:

Do you consider yourself to be Australian? (if not, why not, were you born elsewhere etc?)

Not really. I dont get all bent out of shape when flag burning occurs. I think its rather silly the way some people react to it...meh. I try to view myself as a citizen of Earth, rather than a country. Borders and country names and assoiciating yourself as certain "group" tends to leave others isolated. Which isnt something I agree with on a whole. But i do at the same time...bleh...unfortunately i dont really have time to get into the nuts and bolts of my opinion atm, but i'll try to respond with more detail tomorrow:)

edit: almost forgot, born here:)

it doesn't mean much to me all. at times i feel "proud" to be australian when i look at some of our positive traits, but just as often i'm dissapointed about us.

but when i think about it, i shouldn't really feel either - all i really am is a *person*, who can only look after myself, and try to make the world a good place.

the fact that i was born here means nothing, really.

Last edited:
^^^ I'd say the fact you were born here (and raised, presumably) has a lot to do with you thinking being born here means nothing really.

I think I'm going to suprise a lot of people with my opinion of "being Australian" as a lot of people here know of my right-wing beliefs. But politics have nothing to do with what makes Australia what it is or isn't.

I think that song has it down pat, you know "We are one, but we are many, and from all the lands on Earth we come."

This is what being Australian is to me, a whole heap of different cultures combining to create one unique uber culture. I mean there are so many different nationalities in Australia and tha's what makes us great we're not born of some generic stereotype here, I think we're becoming the best of everything.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that to be Australian is to be accepting, yes that will do nicely.

Apathetic, stupid, ignorant, blind drunk and like to shag in public toilets.

I kinda think being easygoing and carefree is part of being Australian. I guess I feel that way most in summer, when I walk around with no shoes on at night, or when cold beer refreshes me, or when I make salad for a bbq.

it means you see australia as your home. nothing more nothing less. in my eyes anyway.

it means i live in this wonderful country that is incredibly beautiful .... but sometimes there's a kind of inner contradictory feeling going on ..... because I see this land and think.... those stupid fucking white anglo christian settlers tried to commit genocide, but ended up fucking with one of the worlds oldest and most beautiful spiritually connected cultures on this planet... sometimes i think my life is one big macro-micro contradiction ....

basically the "Australian Identity" is just crap politicians and media and bla bla go on about bla bla to keep us happy and secure and make us all feel like "genuiine aussies" .... its like they are selling our own sanity ... back to us ....

I like what you wrote kemicalburn, so true ... if only the citizens of earth felt they were citizens of earth .....

if only eh ... if only

Ahh yes, one of the many questions that I've been popping to people lately. ;)

I guess for me being Australian means being lucky enough to be able to experience lots of different cultures in the one place, while still being able to live in some sort of harmony.

What does being an Australian mean to you?

Can you define a typical Australian?

Are there particular traits you think are representative of Aussies in general?

Do you consider yourself to be Australian? (if not, why not, were you born elsewhere etc?)

Being Australian doesnt mean much to me at all. it just means i have a place i can identify with as my "home" (even though i am born elsewhere)

The typical Australian to me imo is very proud of their heritage. nothing can take that away from them and it gives them pride in their land. i think this is why a lot of native australians are fighting so hard to keep their heritage alive.

if you were gonna categories the "general" triats of every day aussies you would come up with quite a broad definition...but basically imo they are hard working, love to relax and socailise, love their sport and beer and are warm people to know. there are the few odd balls who do give Aus a bad name but thats not really to bad.

i dont consider myself to be Australian. mainly because i wasnt born here and where iw as born we are proud to call ourselves New Zealanders. all though i have lived here most of my life whenever i am asked where my home is i say NZ...its hard to define...but New Zealand will always be my home cause thats where my history and past lies. but Australia is somewhere i am settled/ identify with and have an attatchement to.

i consider myself a citizen of the world.... born in scotland, grew up in australia, i dont feel connected to scotland because i lived there for 2 years, dont feel connected to australia coz i wasnt born here

i think the issue of ones nationality etc is becoming less and less relevant with globalisation

mr_p said:
basically the "Australian Identity" is just crap politicians and media and bla bla go on about bla bla to keep us happy and secure and make us all feel like "genuiine aussies" .... its like they are selling our own sanity ... back to us ....

Its true. Pollies, and the media all seem intent on pushing this mythologised idea of an Australians. If you believe them, we're all down to earth, laidback larrikins that believe in giving everyone a fair go. We love footy, BBQ's, beer and want the word 'mateship' enshrined in our constitution.

As far as I can see, most of thats just an empty conceit. We're as bigoted and self-serving as any other society. In my mind, any smug little idea that I live in a country that really believes in giving everyone a fair chance was shattered around the time Howard was elected on the back of refugees, of Tampa. Of cynicism and lies.

Last edited:
Being Australian means you know and believe that Australia is the best country on the planet and are prepared to work hard, contribute or make sacrafices with your fellow Australians to ensure it stays that way.

Pseudo G said:
Being Australian means you know and believe that Australia is the best country on the planet
Colour me un-australian, then.

No worries 'mate', I will.

If you don't think Australia is the best place to live on the planet, I suggest you leave as you're taking up space the other Australians love, enjoy and cherish.