Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Herald Sun [31/08/2004] - Greens policy backs illegal drugs

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
Greens policy backs illegal drugs
Gerard McManus
31 Aug 2004

ECSTASY and other illegal drugs would be supplied over the counter to young users in a radical policy framed by Senator Bob Brown's Greens.

The Greens manifesto backs official supply of the dangerous drug ecstasy as well as state-sanctioned heroin and marijuana sales at what it calls appropriate venues.

The ecstasy policy suggests distributing the drug to users while providing official information detailing the dangers of the drug.

About 15 people have died from ecstasy use since it hit Australia in the 1990s. The drug can cause severe psychological side-effects in some people.

A Herald Sun examination of Greens policies reveals other extraordinary plans for Australia including:

LAWS to force people to ride bicycles more often and eat less meat.

DRIVING farmers from their land.

MEDICARE funding for sex-change operations.

CAPITAL gains tax on the most expensive family homes.

AN OPEN door policy on asylum seekers.

With a chance to grab the balance of power in the Senate, the Greens have for the first time released a comprehensive set of policies beyond their environmental platform.

They want a welfare program that allows people to remain on higher dole payments indefinitely without any requirement to look for a job.

The Greens also want the population cut by two million, and for unspecified farms, roads and buildings to be turned back into nature.

With Senator Brown at its helm and two other MPs already in Federal Parliament, the Greens are aiming to treble their representation by installing a new senator in each state and picking up Lower House seats.

Senator Brown said yesterday he believed one million Australians would vote for the Greens at this election -- double the number of Green voters at the last election.

Senator Brown said the Greens hoped to unseat a sitting Liberal senator in the ACT, win the ALP seat of Melbourne held by Lindsay Tanner and hold the NSW seat of Cunningham.

Green critic Mike Nahan, of the Institute of Public Affairs, a Right-wing think tank, said the party was the most radical Australia had seen.

"The Greens are loopier than any party I've seen, and will be much worse than the Australian Democrats ever were," he said.

"It was OK while they were playing devil's advocate, with Bob Brown shouting from the sidelines, but now there is a real prospect of them winning the balance of power."

Prime Minister John Howard yesterday described the Greens' agenda as kooky.

"The Greens are not just about the environment," he said. "They have a whole lot of other very, very kooky policies in relation to things like drugs and all of that sort of stuff and new taxes and whatever, which people never talk about because they try and portray themselves as a one-issue party of just being warm and fuzzy about the environment."

Greens policies also include cutting Murray River irrigators by 3000 gigalitres -- or six times the size of the Sydney Harbour -- each year.

From the Herald Sun

Also:
Dual policy on drugs
Gerard McManus
31 Aug 2004

BOB Brown's Greens are advocating a dual policy on drugs going into the election - a crackdown on legal and prescription drugs but a loosening up on illegal drugs.

For the first time a major political party is advocating all personal use of illegal drugs to be moved outside the criminal framework.

Marijuana, ecstasy and other unnamed drugs would be available at "appropriate venues" and in "controlled environments", according to the party's policy.

While giving the green light to marijuana, ecstasy and other drugs, Senator Brown's party appears to be alarmed about GHB and date-rape drugs.

It describes these as "drugs of concern" and says there needs to be more research and public campaigns to warn about their dangers.

Pilot programs would be undertaken to examine controlled availability of heroin to registered users from approved clinics.

Cultivation of marijuana would be regulated and a probe undertaken into the nation's police forces to reduce drug-related corruption.

Senator Brown, a trained general practitioner, would at the same time have government agencies monitor the effects of decriminalisation on young people.

Legal products such as alcohol and tobacco would come in for heavy government regulation.

Promotion of tobacco products would be banned and alcohol advertising restricted.

The Greens would introduce mandatory labelling of all alcoholic drinks with health warnings together with the number of standard drinks each bottle or can contained.

According to the Greens, drugs and substance abuse are complex issues, but the public needed to be educated on prescription and non-prescription medication.

Also from the Herald Sun

There's also an editorial in the Herald Sun concerning this but it hasn't gone online yet so I'll link it when it does. Very negative as you'd expect.

This article is also showing on the front of News.com.au and also appears in the Australian in a modified form.

Last edited:
well.... the drugs thing would be neat... But damn, those greens are totally demented when it comes to anything else.

Dole payment without even looking for work. WTF?
Taking farmers land? Guess they could get on the dole =P

could keep on going, but then this will turn into a CE&P forum :)

Firstly - it grates me whenever I hear the term from an uneducated ignorant journalist "The dangerous drug ecstacy".

Secondly Senator Bob Brown has been on ABC radio this morning (and no doubt other media outlets) correcting all the mistakes in this article.

The Greens manifesto backs official supply of the dangerous drug ecstasy as well as state-sanctioned heroin and marijuana sales at what it calls appropriate venues.

The ecstasy policy suggests distributing the drug to users while providing official information detailing the dangers of the drug.

This is not the Green's policy at all according to Bob Brown's interview on ABC Melbourne 774. He stated the Green's policy was to investigate harm minimisation practices which may include controlling the substance ecstacy.

He also rebutted quite a few other points in the article which he deemed incorrect.

Apparently he wasn't contacted by the Herald Sun before the article went to press.

Another fine example of expert journalism.

Last edited:
Usual right-wing media sensationalism used to beatup upcoming election opponents. Seen it all before; someone get the contact details and ring them "expressing your concern for the non-factual information they have presented" (and tell them they're a dickhead). I know i've been doing it when I see GBH articles in the paper...

Bob Brown's reply:

Greens' drug plan 'is to save lives'
August 31, 2004

GREENS leader Bob Brown today rejected reports that the party supported the supply of illegal drugs over the counter to addicts.

Melbourne's Herald Sun newspaper reported the Greens supported the official supply of drugs including ecstasy, state-sanctioned heroin and marijuana at certain outlets.

But Senator Brown said the report was untrue and the newspaper was misrepresenting the Greens' drug policies.

He also accused the Victorian branch of the Liberal Party of circulating similar misinformation about the Greens' policies yesterday.

"When it comes to a review of what best to do about social drugs such as ecstasy, the Greens are saying let's look at that," Senator Brown said.

"We have not said that ecstasy or any other drug should be freely available across the counter.

"We say the alternatives should be investigated."

Prime Minister John Howard yesterday accused the Greens of having a series of kooky policies, including the legalisation of illegal drugs.

Senator Brown said Mr Howard had tried to misrepresent the Greens, which favoured harm minimisation drugs programs.

"The Greens are very responsible about drugs policy, we are looking for improvement in the way drugs policy is delivered in this country," he said.

"I note the Herald Sun says 14 young people have died from ecstasy in recent times, that's because they are getting it from people with dark glasses at the back of halls late at night and we can do better than that.

"The Greens believe that if we can reduce that death toll of young people we should do so.

"And if the prime minster wants to see that as kooky then I'm at a disagreement with him and I'll take him on on drugs policy any day of the week."

AAP

From here

And if the prime minster wants to see that as kooky then I'm at a disagreement with him and I'll take him on on drugs policy any day of the week
I like this bit =D
Kind of sounds like a school yard fight brewing ;)

NEWSFLASH

Legalise ecstasy, says Brown
By Paul Colgan
August 31, 2004

GREENS Leader Bob Brown said today his party supported legalising the possession of small amounts of recreational drugs, including ecstasy.

Senator Brown said the Greens wanted to replace current criminal penalties for drug possession with a regime that tried to prevent drug use by offering help to addicts.

Asked if he wanted to decriminalise the possession of small amounts of drugs for recreational use, Senator Brown said: "Yes, we want to see those folks given medical advice rather than seeing them put in jail."

He said reports that the Greens were planning to introduce over-the-counter drug sales were untrue.

However he said ecstasy should be supplied "with health and medical information", though he could not say how this would be achieved.

"That needs to be looked at," he said. "Let's have an investigation into the options."

In many Australian states, police can issue a caution to adults found in possession of small amounts of cannabis. The Greens' plan, however, would radically loosen the criminal code in relation to personal drug use.

The Greens still supported heavy penalties for drug pushers and smugglers, Senator Brown said. The goal of the policy was to "try to get people off their addiction".

Earlier today, Senator Brown welcomed the results of the latest Newspoll, which showed support for the Greens at 6 per cent nationwide.

More to come…

From http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,10626480%5E2,00.html

Question: Would it be a good or bad thing if Bob Brown supported lab testing pills?

kooky my ass - it makes so fucking mad to read bullshit like that.

i would probably run out of fingers for all the friends and family who have either died, injured themselves or have fucked up (including myself) their lives because no one was there to help them miminse the harm from their drug use.

it took a thousands misakes before i learn the principles of moderation and how to implement them. If only they could be taught to all the little ums out there who are fucking themselves up right now.

i had a friend who used to put Ajax on their cones (no joke, i saw her do this many a time). Now she knew it wasn't too good but no one (i was busy fucking myself up) was there to teach her moderation and behaviour control. Schools don't teach it and our parents certaintly weren't (never) there.

She's on the run these days, causing a inmeasurable cost to our society when if someone had intervene she would of been a valuable member of society.

go the greens - if voting for them means bullshit unemployment laws/controls reappealled then that is a small price to pay to stop a new generation from fucking themselves up. Fuck if you stopped/limited people from losing the plot then you wouldn't have that much of an unemployment problem.

Last edited:
Actually Im rather surprised that a politician actually has an ounce of understanding of what E is.........Im quite stunned actually.

Im rather used to the head in the sand attitude that most people, not just politicians, have.

NEWS: Legalise ecstasy, says Brown

Legalise ecstasy, says Brown
By Paul Colgan
August 31, 2004

GREENS Leader Bob Brown said today his party supported legalising the possession of small amounts of recreational drugs, including ecstasy.

Plan ... Brown supports legalising the possession of small amounts of recreational drugs.

Senator Brown said the Greens wanted to replace current criminal penalties for drug possession with a regime that tried to prevent drug use by offering help to addicts.

Asked if he wanted to decriminalise the possession of small amounts of drugs for recreational use, Senator Brown said: "Yes, we want to see those folks given medical advice rather than seeing them put in jail."

He said reports that the Greens were planning to introduce over-the-counter drug sales were untrue.

However he said ecstasy should be supplied "with health and medical information", though he could not say how this would be achieved.

"That needs to be looked at," he said. "Let's have an investigation into the options."

In many Australian states, police can issue a caution to adults found in possession of small amounts of cannabis. The Greens' plan, however, would radically loosen the criminal code in relation to personal drug use.

The Greens still supported heavy penalties for drug pushers and smugglers, Senator Brown said. The goal of the policy was to "try to get people off their addiction".

Earlier today, Senator Brown welcomed the results of the latest Newspoll, which showed support for the Greens at 6 per cent nationwide.

"The Greens are going very well right across the country and if you add a few per cent for the Senate ... the Greens will do better still," Senator Brown said.

"We're headed for close to a million votes for the first time in the election and a very strong show for picking up Senate seats right across the country."

NEWS.com.au with AAP

Here's the press release from Bob Brown's office regarding the Herald Sun article.

MEDIA RELEASE – Bob Brown

Australian Greens Senator for Tasmania

31 August 2004

Liberals, Herald Sun fit up Greens

In a dirty tricks start to the Howard government's campaign, the Prime Minister's fake claim of 'kooky' Greens' drugs policy yesterday has been followed up by:

-A Victorian Liberals dossier with false claims on the Greens drugs and other policies; and

-The Melbourne Herald Sun following suite with a story which is concocted to be anti-Green. The newspaper did not contact Senator Brown about the story but took comments from the pro-Liberal Institute of Public Affairs.

Releasing the Greens across-the-board policy volume today, Greens Senator Bob Brown said the Liberals and Herald Sun claim on Greens drug policy are wrong and deliberately aimed to deceive voters. Senator Brown challenged the Prime Minister t o a debate on all policies including drugs.

The Greens, like a number of senior police and medical experts, back a policy of harm minimisation with drugs. This includes medically-controlled access to drugs because it reduces the damage to both user and wider society.

Senator Brown said the Herald Sun's Gerard McManus had misinformed readers in a way which indicates the Murdoch press has gone beyond critic to concoct false policy in its anti-Green bias.

GOOO BOB!!!

This is good news for many people. I love the progressive attitude that Bob Brown has towards many issues. He is to be respected. His policies concerning drugs and many other issues are better than little Johnny Howard's will ever be. We need such as him to even consider raising the issue of drugs in society, and someone who will think independantly from the American anti drug policies. Giving Bob a chance would be very wise....if only i could vote :(. I'll miss out by about 1 month lol. Anyone who intends to donky vote....you have no excuse any more :)

go bob!

looks like Bob Brown and the Greens will be getting a few more votes from the 'youth vote' in october.

good to see Politicans stand up and approach this subject with an open mind.

Definetly great the Brown has the guts to say what has been said so often in so many drug war papers. There is so much information, statistical and otherwise that indicates that prohibition and criminalisation has failed our society. I'll be behind Brown on this one!

Cheers!

One fifth of the world population, 1.3 billion people,
uses tobacco. Only 3% of the world population, which
is less than 0.2 billion people, uses illicit drugs. Tobacco
consumption is thus seven-fold more than illicit drug
use. Comparisons of mortality are even more telling.
The World Health Organization estimates that some
200,000 people died from drug abuse in the year 2000,
equivalent to 0.4% of all deaths worldwide. Tobacco,
however, claimed 25 times as many lives (4.9 million),
equivalent to 8.8% of all deaths.

Now, if Tobacco kills more people as a percentage. You know something is really bad... hehehehe. Somebody is making far too much money from your life and addiction!

Still, it should be my choice not the UN's if I want to smoke a Cigarette. Bleh! Our governments are far too controlling...

I'd like to see little Johnny answer that question!

I am glad to say the Greens will never get elected , they have some pretty pathetic and crappy policies.....

I wonder if it really is just run by a bunch of hippies..