Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

1,4B or GBL

TranceNation

Bluelighter
Got some G the other nite but was certainly different to other experiences ive had with this drug. Was wondering how to distinguish from 1,4B OR GBL.

Now this solution I had the other nite was as follows.

Clear in colour
Quite thin compared to other types did not stick on the bottle at all just poured straight out
Toxic smell
Taste was un-bearable it absolutely burnt the shit out of your tongue even when it was mixed with a glass of Vanilla coke it absolutely burnt!
The dose was 2.5ml which is less than what I usually have but It smashed me so hard for 3 hours.

Anyone know what I might of had?

how long did the onset take ? 14b usually takes a little while longer to convert.

Originally posted by TranceNation
Clear in colour
Quite thin compared to other types did not stick on the bottle at all just poured straight out
Toxic smell
Taste was un-bearable it absolutely burnt the shit out of your tongue even when it was mixed with a glass of Vanilla coke it absolutely burnt!
The dose was 2.5ml which is less than what I usually have but It smashed me so hard for 3 hours.

None of those properties will help you differentiate between 1,b or GBL.

The time the body takes to convert 1,4b to GHB isn't a very accurate way to identify GBL from 1,4b as it is very subjective, and can differ from person to person. 1,4b does have a higher freezing point at around 20 degrees c, but this can be lowered if it is diluted with water. Try putting the substance in the fridge and if it freezes it is 1,4b.

GBL is also much less common than 1,4b, and also more difficult to divert than 1,4b. Why anyone would sell GBL and not convert it into GHB is beyond me - $100 on 1,4b as my wager.

Chemical tasteing is 1,4B. Where as a salty taste G is more likely, i'm pretty sure.

I'd also put money on it being 1,4B.

Psychadelic_Paisly said:

"It tastes like ... burning"
quotesralph.JPG

^Hahaha! Fuckin Golden material. Gotta love that Ralphy. Can he please be the Bluelight mascot (err... maybe for the sake of "Harm Minimisation", we better not.) :)

i can understand why anyone would make gbl when its so much easier to leave 1-4b as is and people will still drink it.
1-4b also has a stronger dosage curve which is probly the reason kids are dropping like flies at parties.
i dont think ive seen real 'g' now for quite some time.

Originally posted by Cactii
i can understand why anyone would make gbl when its so much easier to leave 1-4b as is and people will still drink it.

I assume you meant can't, but if anyone is making GBL from a precursor they would be making it into GHB. ? > GBL is a lot more difficult when compared to GBL > GHB. If GBL is sold on the street it would be diverted from legal sources as 1,4b is.

Originally posted by doofhard
Chemical tasteing is 1,4B. Where as a salty taste G is more likely, i'm pretty sure.

GBL will taste chemical-like, similar to 1,4b. It is GHB which tastes salty.

yes cowboy, it was a typo. I cant understand why anyone would go to all that trouble of buying precursors and equipment when they could just sell the 1 4b as is, and also if they get busted they dont get done for manufacturing.

if it "burnt the shit out of your tongue" and tasted really toxic, it sounds like it could have been GBL. plus the dose was only 2.5mL

for 1,4b to work with a 2.5mL dose, it would have to be concentrate, and concentrate definately ISNT "quite thin" (GBL is)

I've heard of small amounts of GBL getting around SE QLD, but has anyone offered me any? (or spiked my drink ;) ) No :(

Maxi

The reson why I can see people seelling GBL and not converting it to GHB is because the conversion is time-consuming and the less sophisticated your cooking setup, the less percentage yield of GHB you are going to get.

Therefore converting it to GHB, even tho its a much nicer alternative, would cost more money and give less product. I assume the dosages would be similar, so your average dealer is going to make more money off selling GBL.

Sadly the only version I have had the pleasure of trying is 1,4B. So I cant comment on identification.

stace.

Sounds exactly like 1.4b I've alwas had except for that it burnt your tongue, I've never experienced that.

stacyrox said:
The reson why I can see people seelling GBL and not converting it to GHB is because the conversion is time-consuming and the less sophisticated your cooking setup, the less percentage yield of GHB you are going to get.

Therefore converting it to GHB, even tho its a much nicer alternative, would cost more money and give less product. I assume the dosages would be similar, so your average dealer is going to make more money off selling GBL.

Sadly the only version I have had the pleasure of trying is 1,4B. So I cant comment on identification.

stace.

I think the real reason people dont convert it is... they are just lazy or more likely, they dont know that you can. Its amazing how many people really dont know anything about what they putting into their bodies! I have had people tell me that conc. 1,4b is the 'real G'. (i'm guessing it was because they were used to getting dilute)

re: time-consuming... from what swim has read... it is a VERY simple process, that takes maybe 15-20 mins (and that includes buying the caustic)

Maxi

btw: stacyrox- i hope i didn't appear to be ripping into you... i'm in "one of those moods" and felt like a rant :)

Last edited:
My thoughts were actually directed at making GHB powder... as to why? I dunno.. converting liquid to liquid didnt seem to be an option at the time I was writing that post I guess ;) You are correct tho.. making liquid GHB doesnt involve the time-consuming part of cooking off the excess liquid.

stace.

GHB can also be made from GBL using sodium bicarbonate. The reaction is possibly a little slower than when using sodium hydroxide, but by checking pH, it should be easy to tell when the reaction is complete. The added bonus is of course that any remaining small amount of alkali won't be dangerous if ingested.

A test for GBL involves an old test for esters and lactones. The Hydroxylamine - ferric chloride test will show a purple colour with GBL, but not with GHB unless first treated with sulphuric acid which re-closes the ring to form GBL (the reverse of alkali + GBL = GHB).

Although designed to test urine, the test is also reported to work with solutions of the lactone.

Also remember that GHB and similar esters can be synthesised from things other than GBL and 1,4B.

GABA, and several less common chemicals are reported as worthy candidates. It could very well be that the substance mentioned by TranceNation was sourced or produced from one of these. The GABA method produces side reaction products which should be removed, but probably aren't always. Reports say these taste terrible.

From bee Chromic

...The trouble still remains in removing the contaminents. Neutralizing with baking soda and then boiling down does not give a suitable product. It has a very off flavor that makes one want to puke when tasted (not very noticeable when smelled). Sure, it seems to get me high--but at what cost? (am I to develop cancer in the next year? ... ugh)

Sources:

From the unmentionable site: "Success making GBL" by Chromic

PDF of urine test report:
Rapid Colorimetric screening test for gamma-hydroxybutyric acid (liquid X) in human urine

Thin Layer Chromatography - A Laboratory Handbook Edited by Egon Stahl

16.gif
to the Chief Bee and Chromic ( The Synaptic Self Mutilator).

"STOP PRESS"
Just one other thing. The above test can be applied to colorimetric analysis. This means that if the user possessed one of the small, relatively inexpensive colorimeters (available at ~$150-00 -->) it would be possible to calculate the amount present (quantitative)

Let's see someone argue against the value of User based quantitative assessment in regards to G chemicals :p

Last edited:
phase_dancer: I assume that reaction is purely for real GHB? Is there a possibility of a similar colorimetric analysis that could be performed on 1,4B? Seeing as its prettymuch the dominant form of "G" that is in circulation at this time.

A quantative analysis of G would be a fantastic inclusion in drug testing kits. *imagines a dip-stick you can place in your G that gives you a colour reading for concentration* Maybe far-fetched but I can dream. :)

stace.