Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Bouncers key to war on drugs

killarava2day

Ex-Bluelighter
Bouncers key to war on drugs
By Jason Dowling
August 15, 2004

Security staff at hotels and nightclubs would detain people suspected of dealing illegal drugs and patrol neighbouring streets reporting suspicious activity to police, if radical new proposals suggested by the Australian Federal Police were adopted in Victoria.

Federal Agent Juani O'Reilly has published a paper in The Journal of the Australian Federal Police calling for law enforcement agencies to "engage with others and co-ordinate efforts to control illicit synthetic drugs".

Specifically, Ms O'Reilly calls for partnerships in which security staff patrol streets in the vicinity of a nightclub and report suspicious activity to police.

Victoria Police has already started moving in this direction with its five-year plan titled The Way Ahead. Under the plan, Chief Commissioner Christine Nixon outlined the intention to strengthen Victoria Police's relationship with private providers of policing services, including the security industry.

The move is sure to be controversial following the death of cricketer David Hookes earlier this year after an altercation with security staff, but senior police said they were committed to the private security industry having greater influence.
Advertisement Advertisement

The first phase of the partnership was rolled out in the Collingwood and Fitzroy area with the formation of a joint committee, called PolSec, between security providers and police.

Committee chairman Assistant Commissioner Trevor Thompson said PolSec was at an early stage and a detaining role for security staff was yet to be discussed. "If that is happening overseas, then that is something we will no doubt look at," he said. "We are quite open-minded about looking at anything that will reduce the use of drugs."

The PolSec partnership will focus on the exchange of information and intelligence between police and security operators, but the role of the security personnel is expected to grow.

Mr Thompson said: "With about 30,000 licensed security personnel operating throughout Victoria, this provides us with thousands of additional eyes and ears on the streets."

Terry Breheny, assistant secretary of the Liquor, Hospitality and Miscellaneous Workers Union, said it was logical for hotel security staff to be monitoring the area around the hotel as well as inside the hotel.

He said it would "make a lot of common sense if security staff were also responsible for the vicinity, rather than just the venue".

But Mr Breheny warned increased responsibility for security staff would require changes to security licences and legislation. He said the increased powers given to licensed security staff could be similar to the situation for shoplifting, with retail security officers able to detain people until police arrived.

Mr Breheny also said there would need to be improved training and probity checks of security workers and security companies. "It is 10 days' training to get your security crowd controllers licence, and three days is medical training. There is no refresher training," he said.

Peter Johnson, from the Australian Security Industry Association, said security industry personnel already monitored the goings-on outside venues, but their priority was to prevent assaults, not the sale of drugs.

He said it was difficult for security staff to be certain a person was dealing in illegal drugs and only police had the authority to detain a person on suspicion of having committed a crime.

But Mr Johnson, who is a member of the new PolSec committee, said there was a need for an expanded role for private security providers.

Mr Johnson said the "security industry is going to co-operate with police on whatever they request". He added: "The industry will always look for commercial opportunities. If those commercial opportunities involve roles working with police, then that's great."

Mr Thompson said he would attend the Organised Crime Strategy Workshop to be held in Melbourne on August 24 and 25

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/08/14/1092340534646.html

hmm why dont they just train gorillas to sniff out drugs and maul the people carrying them, train up thousands and release them onto the street. i bet that would cut drug use drastically! at least the gorillas wouldnt have a motive to use their new powers unjustly... unless you have some bananas of course

Sorry, forgive me for generalising here, but wouldn't this just give security staff the monopoly of the drug market? I mean, we all know the security industry is rife with drugs and security gaurds have no 'code of ethics such as police' (not that that seems to mean much nowdays) So whats to stop them of gettin rid of all the known dealers to monopolise the market for themselves?

The only time I've ever been detained by a bouncer in relation to drugs is when waiting for him to get back with the pills :\

Don't the police know that in many clubs, the door staff have a hand in dealing? I always thought this was common knowledge. I agree with mrephedrine69, I think this will cause more problems than it solves.

haha, what a laugh. The bouncer's are just as dodgy as anyone else in the clubs.

"We are quite open-minded about looking at anything that will reduce the use of drugs."

Because this is really going to have ANY sort of impact on all those dirty people taking those dirty ILLEGAL drugs 8)
give it a break already people....

^^ IMO, the DODGIEST.

being friends with a couple of security guards, that have previously worked in clubs (not anymore)

they take and deal more drugs than your average citizen.... but hey the cops probably do too.

i notice they used the correct word at least in this instance and that was to "control" the sale....at least if this happens all the have to do after 3 months is arrest all the bouncers. I mean that whole 10 days of training really pays off in circumstances like this.

It'll probably give the bouncers even more of an idea of how things work with police and how raids are operated etc. Therefore allowing them be even more carefree with their 'duties'

there will be even more corruption (if thats possible)

fuck me, why do retards run shit

haha, i actually burst out laughing when i re-read the title of the article.

is the general population really that ignorant?

haha, AND its held in melbourne............... the capital of corruption, no wonder they think this is a GREAT idea.

Last edited:
Some info on the person that fabricated this marvelous foolproof idea.

Juani O'Reilly

[email protected]

Juani O'Reilly is a Federal Agent with the Australian Federal Police (AFP). She joined the AFP in 1981 and has worked in a number of operational areas including: general patrols, accident investigation, major crime, sexual assault and child abuse and general crime. Juani completed graduate studies in Primary Health Care (Addiction Studies) which led Juani to develop the position of Drug and Alcohol Coordinator. In this position she was presented with an Australia Day Certificate of Commendation by the Alcohol and Other Drug Council of Australia in recognition of her significant achievement in the reduction of alcohol and other drug related harm and two AFP commendations for her outstanding contributions as the Drug and Alcohol Coordinator. She lead and managed the Client Service Team which assists with examining AFP operational priorities based on the expectations of government and the difficulties in balancing competing needs with limited resources. Juani is also a Confidante in the Professional Reporting Program which assists in maintaining professional standards within the AFP.

How can people such as the above never really know whats going on?

Last edited:
if given these powers i could see them being used so inappropriately ever night. say a bouncer has beef with a patron inside or out of the club, he could just detain him and say he 'saw him selling drugs' and completely ruin this persons night. not to mention if this person even had a few pills or wat ever on them. fuck how stupid can law enforcement be!

^^^ You mean they didn't think this out fully before going ahead with it!?!?
I'm sooooo disgusted... totally amazed 8)
hehe

"The industry will always look for commercial opportunities."

Yeah I'll bet!

erba said:

fuck me, why do retards run shit

lol. that comment made my day. made me smile. Anything that could be said has been said already in this thread i think.

Let's take a look at this from another angle;

Can anyone see any positives that could come of this... Why have they chosen to take such measures. Why do you think that they think this tactic will work.

I have to run, but everytime I think of a reason that they thought of this, it just gets cancelled out by what is really going to happen... sweet FA

"If that is happening overseas, then that is something we will no doubt look at,"

yea wot in the US where they have bullshit policies.

why doesn't this country take some inititive.

Psychadelic_Paisly: I tried to think of some positives, there just isnt any. Rights will go out the window, security will detain every second person, 3/4 of their stash not to mention CASH will be robbed, a 1/4 might get handed to police. police will love it, there are news papers reports of busts, government loves it. When really innocent people are being robbed.

all it will do is turn people away from clubs, many will probably shutdown, because people will not want the headfucks of going out and dealing with already ego fuelled security with a licence to detain whoever they want.

really this is as funny as BUSH's "god will save you" drug policies.

Imean, this is REALLY REALLY.... funny.... but not in a "A HA type of way, more like of a "oh my gosh" type of way.

BLIND TO THE TRUTH.

^^ bouncers already do this

at the beginning of the year a bouncer at a rave took ~5 pills and $900 off of a (then) mate of mine and kicked him out, sure he was dealing in the rave but a few weeks prior the same bouncer bought a pill off of him.. bloody dodgy sob's

[edit: and before anybody suggests that it's because he sold the bouncer a dodgy pill, not sure about other peoples experiences with the yellow cc's (not coco-chanel, just "cc" like that), I tried a few of those and they were pretty tasty)

Great. Coked up wankers with the power to detain.... We're all fucked.