Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

have our own rave

Scoobydont

Bluelighter
How many of us have said its all getting too commercial?
why is this so? Pricing is the reason, big names big events big venues big promotion big running costs...BIG BIG BIG !
there are enogh of us,with enough contacts, enough friends, and with enough ability, to put on our own 'mini' rave.
Want the "old skool"? then lets do it.
remember kiddies? it was about the music, the friends, the feelings.Where when who just didnt matter.
Maybe we all could puton a rave.
How??? easy. what do we need?? Us, music, a place, and to be left alone. We could meet on a beach and have one, hire a w'house overnight, (we need some old buildings like we had in the uk
smile.gif
viaducts were good!).
Get the idea? lets think about it nd do it for US. stacks of hopefuls will pump out what we want to hear, its a step to notoriety after all, where do yas think the now big nanes started,were first heard??
Well thats enough guff for i think
wink.gif

See yas at the meet up
Party hard, Party safe
smile.gif

Mad idea. I got 2 decks and a mixer..that's a start.
Someone out there must have access to lighting and sound gear.
Let's do it! How hard can it be.
Crazybean

This is a fantastic idea. If we really want to do this it will happen.
But it will be quite a bit of work. There will need to be people nominated (or volunteer) to oversee the organisation. My hand is up!
If we are really thinking of doing this as professionally as possible then we will need to consider the following;
We need music, lighting and props, bar type stalls with bottled water etc, promotional staff for ticket sales, a ticket venue, a venue for the event, first aid/information. Can anyone think of anything else we need to make this work?
Plus we will need to obtain some kind of a permit, I'm sure.
If this is pulled of it will need to be professional. The last thing bluelight needs is to attract bad media due to a poorly organised event.
"A bunch of druged taking losers who couldn't organise a root in a brothel" - or a rave in a warehouse - as would be the case!
If the feedback for this is positive, maybe we should begin getting a committee together soon.
What do we think, bluelighters?

I agree that private parties are the way to have the best hastle free time (hmmm, I feel like a line, shall I use the toilet seat, nah...just use the dining room table!)
However having been on the organising end of a few dance parties (rented venues, about 100-200 ppl) - I can say it's fucking hard work! I have a lot of respect for club DJ's (well actually anyone willing to bust their arse to play tunes for US to dance to). I have never really enjoyed myself while running the decks as I'm always worried about the vibe, and the fact that there's 2 minutes left before the mix and I haven't found another disc to throw on
frown.gif

Unless you've been doing it for so long that it's second nature then I'm sure it would be like this for anyone.
We could always start with some basic lighing (oh, did I mention that hiring good PA/lighting can run into the $1000's), and a decent PA, and just throw on our favorite CD's (Global Underground's, etc). If anyone really wants to strut their stuff then throw in a couple of Denon 1200's ttbls and dual CD players.
I know of a warehouse in Sydney down in Sussex st. that is pretty cheap, and where to get cheap PA gear, and someone with CD based mixing gear (and a couple of DJ's come to think of it) - just need someone to supply 1200's and lighting
smile.gif

hmm...might need some security to keep out gatecrashers and to keep the cops happy. Shit, why not everyone just come over to my place ;-)
Cheers,
hux.
[This message has been edited by huxley (edited 21 March 2000).]

interesting idea.... did i ever mention that im a lighting and sound guy?
smile.gif

but yeah it is a hell of a lotta werk, not something to be taken lightly... if peeps are really interested in this lets keep this thread going, but just remember its a lot bigger than just holding a party at your house...
------------------
.... he who makes a beast of himself, rids himself of the pain of being a man...

I was going to mention it JB but I thought better not until you do.
smile.gif

Isn't this going to be an open event? Or is it exclusively bluelight?
Having an open event is a great way of promoting bluelight, and isn't that our aim as bluelighters? To promote safe drug using? And what better way to promote this message than by holding our own rave.
With the risk of going into my boot licking stage again, we are a 'family' of kinds and if we want to do this, there are enough people on the board with enough contacts to make it happen and make it happen fucking awsomely. What about sponsoring? Can't we think of other organisations that might want to sponsor us so that we can host the rave in a professional manner?
I'm all for this. Whatever happens, count me on the RAVE committee!
[This message has been edited by Anjele (edited 21 March 2000).]

It would seem that there are 2 ways that you could go about this.
The first, a smaller 100-150ish person "private" party. Which would attract less attention (from law enforcement, council's etc). It could also serve as a warm up or practice for possible future larger events.
This "private" type would have to be an invite only setup, with no Tickets, instead the invited people would have to make a mandatory "donation".
The second type of event would be one you SOLD Tickets to, and I am sure this would be a lot more time consuming and have a lot more hoops that would need to be jumped through. (ie. council regulations/permits, Paramedics etc)
I am not trying to be negative, on the contrary I am excited and would love to help organise. As long as we keep things in perspective and are realistic - It will happen.
Keep the comments rolling.
PLUR
Coneman

i think this has got to be one of the best ideas yet! i totally agree with cone-man as we should see how a small privite party goes at first, it would be the best chance to meet everyone 2! really all we need is someone that has a huge backyard and is willing to let us use it, for all anyone will know it could be a birthday party(a big one) and if john boy is willing to help out with sound and lighting and im sure decks wont be a prob or dj's. just treat the first like a get together kinda party! i dont know just an idea!
------------------
PEAK LIKE PERKINS ON PURA! *hugs*
[This message has been edited by dil8dpupil (edited 22 March 2000).]

Fantastic idea people!! If I can help in anyway, let me know. I have the advantage of having some quite awesome legal contacts if you are unsure about permits, sound levels, areas and the like. As for a DJ, my next door neighbour, who is a close friend would do it for nothing. He plays house, deep house, garage and funky beats, if everyone is feeling like a little cheese
wink.gif

All he would need is turntables and mixer because his are drilled into his 'station'.
I think coneman is right. This should be a bluelight affair, with invites only, just to see how it goes, then we can launch it. Hey, it could become the next cream or gatecrasher!! So... if I can help, let me know.
oh, and also I could get crowd control for nothing if we need it.
smile.gif

------------------
I'm an idealist...
I dont know where im going but im on my way
[This message has been edited by Mr. Horse (edited 22 March 2000).]

WOW! I never expected such an enthusiastic resonse
smile.gif

I agree with Cone-man, a small non-ticketed event would be the way to start.The bigger the thing the more outside attention.
If we can keep from charging money, we can keep alot of noses out of it. We could make it a "private" party, "Bluelighters" and guests, as any party would be.If we made up Bluelight cards, and run on a self funded donation thing.
smile.gif

We do seem to have the ppl and ability to crew it and do it.But if we get too big we will just end up at square one again.
I have a Denon 2000f and mixer,so there's a start.no pa but. stax of discs.
Venue could be the hardest thing.An underground parking lot would be ideal.
Maybe we could get together and start the wheels, maybe at our meet up.....we at least get to meet, that's gotta be the start hey
smile.gif

Sounds wicked. I have put on a couple of smaller type parties in the past, it can be done. I can access DJ's and probably lighting (through a mate), but we can leave that to johnboy. I say an outdoor venue is the go. Less cleaning up, easier to organise and we can be more creative. I also reckon a few different styles of electronic music would be good. count me in !!
------------------
Electrify Me !!!

Huge idea peeps. BTW - I'm in melb, where r u guys looking @ throwing the gig? I've been looking into an idea similar to this for a li'l while. I have a couple of ppl looking out for warehouses and the prospect looks good, a friend who has volunteered a house as he's moving out. It's residential so sound limits apply hence a warm up event? I'm thinking 4 GC. I have another friend who's family bought in on a courier company, so mini-buses to the later event could be arranged nice and cheap. This dude also bought one of the woolsheds @ the docklands and says he wont be needing them for a little while yet. Place comes ready to roll, room for a few hundred courier vans, trucks etc. Has been checked for safety reguations down to the fire extinguishers and comes complete with its own power substation. Could easily fit a few thousand if we want to take that road - scary...a hell commitment!!! Got a couple of quite reasonable quotes from local up and coming talents on the tables, and the usual "got some friends with friends" that might bring us some established names. Yup yup. With the resources we have right here on this board we can theoretically throw any style/size event we want. Now I have NO experience in this sort of thing, but have this itch that needs scratching. I wanna throw a bunch of parties. So I'm in. Where's the dotted line. Hey even better, if we run it business style, we get to go for lunchtime meetings, the best meetings of all. Yeah bring on the expensive red. I'm up for that. I'll just submit this and then go wipe the froth from my mouth
wink.gif

But wait... there's more!
As far as sponsoring is concerned. I introduced an old uni friend cum workmate to raves etc so he owes me
wink.gif
. We work for media buying agencies. I'm in I.T. so don't have too much in the way of contacts, but my friend does the whole planner buyer mission and should be able to help out. I mean he got good perks from all that media space he moved for tribes. They like him I think.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not up for organising anything huge yet, unless we have some organisers who have pulled these events off before, in which case I wanna help out. Just so you know, that there is a whole pathway of realistic possibilities that could come from this event. Let's bring it on!
Syn.

Ok it looks like we have some direction , the first step is location. In which city are most people here in? Sydney?
Regarding location we have to consider.
a: How likely is the party at the location going to piss people off (neighbours/picnicers/campers/rangers/cops)? And if it will piss people off, how quickly?
b: Are we going to need a generator for power? (at a beach / park etc)
c: How easy will it be to stop gatecrashers (which could cause the party to go downhill quickly)
d: Will there be any costs involved. Hire of location etc.
e: Who will have to be notified & what restrictions are there on the use of the location.
Some Places to consider
Large house / backyard
Community Hall
Private Hall (I went to a private dance party at Milsons Point years ago in a converted shop/house which was normaly used by a modern dance school - it was perfect)
Reserve
National Park
Underground Carpark
ok people we need other location suggestions as well as the pro's, con's and feasability of the various ideas.
Coneman

This idea is getting better by the minute!! Is it more likely to be in Melb, or Sydney? Melbourne has heaps of empty warehouses etc., but I'm not sure about hiring them. What about a Basketball stadium? I may be able to help with that, but I'm not sure about permits etc.
Keep the ideas rolling, this is sounding awesome!!
Raider

Hehe - the fever is upon us ...
The Synergy Forum peeps are having a very similar discussion ... though that is mostly Melbourne stuff.
There's probably a few cross overs ...
Anyway .. THere are some Old Skoolers ... is there such a thing ?? .. setting up ideas to run some old skool raves... no lighting, no fancy organisation, just a PA, some DJ's, some space, and peeps making the rave
biggrin.gif

Sounds very cool and utopian !
Keep the costs down, give evryone glow sticks on entry
smile.gif

Yergh, scrambled thoughts !
I'm excited at the thought of some real Raves, I've never been to a "real" one ... just all the big events they run now.
I hope all this talk and enthusiasm eventually turns into something cool, very cool !!
smile.gif

------------------
>insert witty comment here<

i am from melb and play d&b , all the upfront
shit. I also know a few other d.j's who play other styles of music aswell.
Yeah d'j's will cost really nothin'.
i go overseas in 2 months so we better get movin.
I've organised a few 2-300 person parties and it very fuckig easy.
i can send demos to anyone.

Not that I want to be a downer - I'd luv to help out/participate/DJ, but I have noticed that some people replying to this message are from Syd, some from Melb etc etc. I guesss the $64K question is where would the first one be? Also you would want to plan it well in advance i.e. in approx 3-6 months. I don't see why you cannot plan for a bigger party to begin with, all you need to organise is venue, light/sound/DJ equipment, flyers, DJ's, security, water and the magic ingredient - people! I suggest that you try for a licensed club or outdoor venue because you don't need council approval / insurance / police knowledge etc. I suggest that you look up the dance party code of practice http://www.dlg.nsw.gov.au/dance.pdf
If you have any other questions or want/need help, just email me or post reply on this thread.
Regards
Timbo
If its empty - fill it, if its full - empty it, and if its itchy - scratch it!

I think the private party idea is mad. Why not hire a club or something for a night such as the Lord Roberts upstairs - couldnt cost that much to hire. They have decks and PA all set up there. All we have to do is get people to go and organise DJs etc. 100 or so people is probably a good number so it would mean bluelighters & invited guests. Get people to email their RSVPs and put together a doorlist.
thoughts..?
BLB
------------------
...yes please

Scoobydont You are an Idea's Man!!!!!!!!!
I've orginised Under 18's events...and that was hard work but we had me and 2 other people.....So this should be a breeze....
I think it should be strictly bluelighters and friends of bluelighters...100 people max...So we need a venue...PA/lighting....Water......and a big vibe....
Maybe we could orginise the T Shirt Idea that some1 brought up be4???????
ne way keep the comment comming!!!!!
Love Yall
------------------
Let me open up your mind and u will find u can fly rite thru the night!

i'm in sydney.. in a month i'll be moving out and i'll be having a get together for the full moon on april 19th. there will be decks + music in my little flat somewhere near the city.
email me if you are interested... :-]
otherwise, if anyone is willing to organise a house party in sydney for bluelighters i will be there!