Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Herald-Sun [01/07/2004] - ' Dogs sniff out street drugs'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
UPDATE: It seems while we thought they were going to be used in Melbourne on Chapel St, nightclub queues and possibly dance parties; they've turned up on CBD streets.

Dogs sniff out street drugs
Shelley Hodgson
01 July 2004

SNIFFER dogs hit the streets of Melbourne yesterday as the latest weapon in a police crackdown on city drug traffickers.

Superintendent Mick Williams said the Bourke St/Russell St area was renowned as a drug trafficking hotspot.

This latest operation aims to send a message to drug peddlers they don't own the streets, Supt Williams said.

Phase one began last week when undercover police identified 19 traffickers. They returned on Monday and charged 12.

The dogs, known as passive alert detector dogs, were used yesterday for the first time in Melbourne, sniffing the air to detect the presence of narcotics. They were previously used in Richmond and Footscray.

The blitz led to 16 people being searched. Six were nabbed for drug offences and another four are facing charges including theft, breaching bail conditions and being wanted on a warrant.

Police will continue using dogs in the area to sniff out the traffickers and deter their customers from going into the city to buy drugs.

Supt Williams said there were about 700 incidents a month of personal property theft in the city. Most of them were directly related to the drug trade.

And he warned amusement parlours around Russell St to beware of drug dealers who tried to use them as havens during police blitzes.

"At the end of the day, if it means these amusement centres need to be closed down, then clearly that must be done," Supt Williams said.

He said under their planning permits, operators were required to have closed-circuit TV and a security guard.

From Herald Sun

amusement parlours are places like timezone, playtime, galaxy world etc. places with video games

Supt Williams said there were about 700 incidents a month of personal property theft in the city. Most of them were directly related to the drug trade.

Right and how would they know this. I certainly know after i score some pills i do some random destruction of other property in triumpth....

Heh!! That particular "hot-spot" in Melbourne should be cracked down more often IMO.
Those amusement parlours really do have some cool arcade games and they're heaps cheap as opposed to going to timezone, intencity, etc...

The dealers around that area don't exactly make things look inconspicuos, if you know what I mean?
It's a very common occurence for a dealer to follow you for at least 50 metres saying shit like, "psssst!! you chasin mate, I'll show you, it's a real good size!"

Some of these folk are really scary looking too... I've always thought of the police locally around this area to be turning a blind eye in alot of cases, due to the stupid street dealers making their peddling look so god-damn obvious.

"At the end of the day, if it means these amusement centres need to be closed down, then clearly that must be done." I personally think that's completely unfair to the person that's trying to run a business, I couldn't see how closing down the amusment parlour will totally eliminate street dealing... Jesus, this state has a funny way of "fixing" things.

^^ I've been there a few times and it seems to me that the guys who run the shops definetly know what is going on and truth be told they probably recieve some kind of kick-back.

I went there today (friday) and the coppers were there again with this huge booze bus looking thing and about 15 police, I only saw 1 dog though....it walked right past me, and even though I had nothing on me a pang of fear shot up my back as he walked past.....but of course he didn't sniff me or anything.

This is a disgusting abuse of our civil rights, and our presumption of innocence. I can see that the victorian police are only going to use the sniffer dogs where they are 100% ashored of getting arrests thus avoiding the awful reports sydney are getting atm about the failure of sniffer dogs up there.

Last edited:
Saw the same on my lunch break in the city today, this seems to be the result of the end of the "heroin drought"... if supply from overseas continues I can see things in Melbourne's CBD going back to the way they were about five years ago.

LMFAO....so,are they going to do this evryday at the other 5 (that i know of)open air H markets in Melbz!?!Russell st is crap gear for country junkies anyway....so they say they've used the dogs in Richmond and Footscray.....I currently live in the midst of the Richmond scene and no one i know has ever seen or heard about the dogs being used.....fuck em'...put your gear in balloons and swallow....It's better than jail:)