Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Methylone legality?

VelocideX

Bluelighter
The list of scheduled drugs in NSW can be found here:
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/dmata1985256/sch1.html

My chemistry naming knowledge is pretty poor, and so I'm not entirely sure if there's an alternate name for methylone. Erowid gives it as 2-methylamino-1-(3,4-methylenedioxyphenyl)propan-1-one

The closest I can find on that schedule list are things like
3,4-Methylenedioxy-phenyl-2-propanone
1-(3-methoxy-4,5-methylenedioxyphenyl)-2-propanamine

Cathinone and methcathinone are listed but no other cathinone derivatives.

Can someone with better chem knowledge than myself tell me if methylone is on that list?

(There are no drug analogue laws in NSW... either its on the list or its not)

Apologies for not responding sooner, visitors and stuff.

I can't find any specific mention in either Qld or NSW relating to legislation but this is hardly surprising as methylone has not yet really grabbed the drug seeking public. It's still much in the early culture phase, if indeed it ever finds acceptance from this market. If and when it does kick off overseas, you can betcha Pete and Bob will ensure legislation is passed BEFORE it fl00ds our streets as a claimed neuroprotective E or something similar. It has certainly been discussed in Forensic Literature.

The characterization of some 3,4-methylenedioxycathinone (MDCATH) homologs

Terry A. Dal Cason

Forensic Science International Volume 87, Issue 1, 9-53 (1997)
DOI:10.1016/S0379-0738 (97)02133-6

Abstract
In the past 35 years, a wide variety of illicit drugs have appeared in the clandestine market. Many of these compounds are based on the structure of amphetamine (1-phenyl-2-aminopropane) to which various functional or structural groups have been added. Previous modifications to the amphetamine molecule include addition of a methylenedioxy bridge to give 3,4-methylenedioxyamphetamine, and attachment of alpha,beta-keto oxygen to yield cathinone. A chemical synthesis integrating the salient functional/structural groups of these two classes of amphetamine analogs results in manufacture of methylenedioxycathinone (MDCATH). In each instance, N-alkylation of these analogs provides a series of homologs. Furthermore, many of these analogs/homologs meet several criteria which typically support the clandestine laboratory synthesis of novel illicit drugs (`designer drugs'). The MDCATH analogs represent a potentially new series of `designer drugs' whose chemical characteristics have not previously been reported. Appropriate selection of analytical, chemical and physical tests will enable rapid identification of these analogs by a comparative analysis using the data provided.

Full pdf (Rhodium)

Chem & pharm wise; lets start with explaining briefly what methylone is.

If pseudoephedrine is selected as a starting material for making another psychoactive substance, the usual methods employed involve reducing the -OH group to produce methamphetamine. However, the -OH croup also lends itself to oxidation which produces methcathinone. Reports describe methcathinone as being milder than methamphetamine and a poor substitute.

Methylone is to MDMA as Methcathinone is to Methamphetamine. Methylone has all "the bits" of MDMA except for:

On the carbon next to the aromatic ring, 2 Hydrogens present on MDMA have been "exchanged" for an Oxygen. [it should be said that the chemistry employed in producing these compounds is not quite as simple as the word "exchange" may imply.]

methylone_3d_mid.jpg
mdma_3d_mid.jpg

Methylone was was patented by Shulgin and colleagues

Preparation of novel N-substituted-2-amino-3',4'-methylenedioxypropiophenones as anti-depressant and anti-Parkinsonism agents.
Jacob, Peyton, III; Shulgin, Alexander T. (Neurobiological Technologies, Inc., USA).
Patent WO9639133 (1996), 19 pp. CA 126:117961

Abstract
The title compds. [I; R1 = H, C1-6 alkyl, iPr, iBu, sBu, tBu, allyl, propargyl, cyclopropyl; R2 = H], having binding activity for at least one serotonin or dopamine uptake site, and useful for alleviating depression of the central nervous system or symptoms of Parkinson's disease, were prepd. Thus, reaction of methylenedioxybenzene with propionic anhydride in the presence of I2 followed by treatment of the resulting 3,4-methylenedioxypropiophenone with CuBr2 in CH2Cl2, and reaction of 2-bromo-3',4'-methylenedioxypropiophenone with 40% aq. MeNH2 in sulfolane afforded I [R1 = Me; R2 = H]. In general, compds. I are effective at 0.05-10 mg/kg/day.

Methylone has attracted attention due to the fact that claims are made regarding it's similarities to MDMA, yet Methylone inhibits transporter molecules which facilitate uptake of catecholamines** to membrane receptors, while not interfering with vesicle transporters (inside the cell, responsible for enabling serotonin transport to the axon terminals where it is released from the cell). This results in effectively bypassing the series of mechanisms considered responsible for much MDMA induced neuronal damage.

** Catecholamines = monoamine compounds with 2 x -OH groups on the aromatic ring - eg dopamine, noradrenaline, adrenaline

More on Basics of Catecholamines

European Journal of Pharmacology 381 1999 63–69

Inhibition of plasma membrane monoamine transporters by
b-ketoamphetamines

Nicholas V. Cozzi a,b,), Michael K. Sievert b, Alexander T. Shulgin c, Peyton Jacob III d, Arnold E. Ruoho b

a Department of Pharmacology, East Carolina UniÕersity School of Medicine, GreenÕille, NC 27858, USA
b Department of Pharmacology, UniÕersity of Wisconsin Medical School, Madison, WI 53706, USA
c 1483 Shulgin Road, Lafayette, CA 94549, USA
d Departments of Medicine and Psychiatry, UniÕersity of California-San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA

Received 20 May 1999; received in revised form 20 July 1999; accepted 27 July 1999

Abstract

Methcathinone and methylone, the b-ketone analogues of
methamphetamine and 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine MDMA ,
respectively, were tested for neurotransmitter uptake inhibition in vitro.

The b-ketones were threefold less potent than the nonketo drugs at inhibiting platelet serotonin accumulation, with IC ’s of 34.6"4.8 mM and 5.8"0.7 mM, respectively. Methcathinone and 50 methylone were similar in potency to methamphetamine and MDMA at catecholamine transporters individually expressed in transfected glial cells. For dopamine uptake, IC ’s were 0.36"0.06 mM and 0.82"0.17 mM, respectively; for noradrenaline uptake, IC values 50 50 were 0.51"0.10 mM and 1.2"0.1 mM, respectively.

In chromaffin granules, IC ’s for serotonin accumulation were 112"8.0 mM for 50 methcathinone and 166"12 mM for methylone, 10-fold higher than the respective values for methamphetamine and MDMA. Our results indicate that methcathinone and methylone potently inhibit plasma membrane catecholamine transporters but only weakly inhibit the vesicle transporter.

Abstract

As for nomenclature; The IUPAC naming is probably something like N, alpha-Dimethyl-1,3-benzodioxole-5-ethanamine-1-one. Shulgin tends to use a more traditional approach to nomenclature (although his abbreviations are his own naming system) 2-methylamino-1-(3,4-methylenedioxyphenyl)propan-1-one is easier to visualise IMO.

VeloxideX, the compounds you mentioned:

3,4-Methylenedioxy-phenyl-2-propanone is also known as Piperonal methyl ketone, 3,4 MD-phenyl-acetone etc., is the precursor normally used to make MDXX. It is very tightly scheduled, and although has applications in the perfume industry, possession of it would require appropriate permits and involve End User Declaration for any purchase.

1-(3-methoxy-4,5-methylenedioxyphenyl)-2-propanamine is MMDA or the amphetamine made from Myristicin, an allyl benzene differing to safrole by the addition of a methoxy group - next to the methylenedioxy group -on the aromatic ring. Myristicin is sourced in nature from Myristica Fragrans (nutmg, mace), parsley or dill oil.

This compound was scheduled long before MDMA. It was known about and experimented with during the sixties. As metabolism of myristicin also produces MMDA via methylation in the liver, the practice of eating large quantities of nutmeg once attracted a wide interest. That is until you've tried the trip.. :p I've got some old psychiatric stuff on MMDA somewhere. If I can find it I'll post any relevant info.

As usual, indebted to; Erowid, Rhodium and the bee place.

[Edit: changed IUPAC naming after thinking about it; p_d]

Last edited:
Woah, thats more than I was looking for... I'd found the methylone picture from erowid too.

The analgoue laws in NSW only cover "esters, isomers or salts" of the listed drugs, so it would appear that methylone is indeed legal.

I wonder if it will ever take off here. From what I've heard it's not quite the MDMA experience, but nevertheless seems very intriguing.

I've never met anyone who has tried it before; I wonder if it has been produced at all locally?

As Methcathinone is listed, these pieces of the analogues law also covers methylone;

(iii) the addition of 1 or more of the following groups having up to 6 carbon atoms in any alkyl residue, namely, alkoxy, cyclic diether, acyl, acyloxy, monoalkylamino and dialkylamino groups,

(iv) the addition of 1 or more of the following groups having up to 6 carbon atoms in the group and being attached to oxygen, namely, alkyl, alkenyl and alkynyl groups (for example, ester groups and ether groups),

The methylenedioxy moiety can be viewed as a di-ether.

Underline added for emphasis; p_d

I've never heard of Clandestine production of methylone, but that's not to say it hasn't occurred.

It may well have been produced legitimately in a Uni/research lab. My lecturers seemed to feel that producing a compound classified in the analogues bill is significantly less of a hurdle than researching a specifically restricted substance.

If the analogues bill was ever fully enforced, it would cover an enormous number of substances and restrict research everywhere. As it stands it's a truly ridiculous piece of legislation IMO

Muhahaha... if you want to be really devious and you get done for drug charges, you might try the following (though I obviously don't recommend it).

It's legal to have possession of a drug if you've got a certificate from the Secretary of Health saying so.

Then I found this...
Drug Misuse and Trafficking Act 1985 (NSW) s42

42 Certificate of Secretary of Department of Health prima facie evidence

In any legal proceedings under this Act, a certificate purporting to be signed by the Secretary of the Department of Health or by an officer of the Department of Health authorised generally or specially by the Secretary in that behalf to do so and to certify that any person is or is not a person who holds a licence, permit or authority under the Poisons Act 1966 shall, without proof of the signature or of the official character or authority of the person purporting to have signed the certificate, be prima facie evidence of the fact stated in the certificate.

I'm sure you can see the implications ;)

Still, in Qld at least it's a lengthy and detailed procedure to obtain such authorization.

From initial enquiries to, and referral from the state Health Department, the police are then approached for permission to obtain an application form. If obtained, this is filled in & sent back for further processing. If approved at this point, I think the Health dept must then be re-approached. Such a permit, if granted, is normally valid for 2 years.

It must be applied for by a high level academic. Professor or better. If an associate professor applies, it must also carry the signature of other associate professors connected with the institution.

If someone wished to exploit the limitations of the analogues bill, they would at the very least need to produce a compound which is not only not restricted specifically, but it also needs to contain an alkyl chain of no less than 7 carbons longer than any currently listed chem. If Salvinorin A wasn't classified, it may have paved the way for some serious research from legit institutions and individuals, and may have also provided insights into novel psychoactives not yet dreamed of. Still there's much research being done overseas, especially following the discovery that salvinorin A binds with kapper opioid receptors.

The drug I always wonder about is TDIQ, I know it's active, but is it legal?

My point is that the certificate doesn't have to be valid ;) Merely possessing a certificate which purports to be valid is prima facie evidence of a certificate...

Of course then you run into the problem of getting done for forging documents :p

Of course then you run into the problem of getting done for forging documents :p

Yeah, and there's possibly a lot of heads to roll. I understand what you're saying, but I see it potentially more concern for anyone holding the license. It would be interesting to see if anyone in Australia has been prosecuted for being in breach of agreement or forgery etc.

BilZ0r you've got me on another subject. I have to confess that while I've picked up most of the Glennon papers and others on the subject, I've barely glanced at them. It looks an interesting compound. As for whether it's legal; I'm sure it probably breaches the analogues law - that's if it was ever to applied - but as to it being specifically listed - to my knowledge, not in Australia at present.