Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

airport secrurity

secret squirrel

Bluelighter
sorry to dredge up an old and unpopular topic, but this particular question is something fairly new and i could not find an answer with the search function. Good friend of mine took an interstate plane trip in recent months and said when he went thru the secrurity he was pulled aside to be scanned for explosives with something he described as "looking much more sophisticated than a metal detector but works in the same way" meaning that you are scanned at a close distance, arms out they scan your arms, torso, legs, etc He said the machine looked like it would be able to detect various substances, he didn't have any drugs so he doesn't know. I am wondering if anyone knows of these things that are used, what it is they can actually detect in explosives, or is there any possibillity they could or might be able to detect drugs?

Did it just look more sophisticated, or was it actually more sophisticated. They might have newer and better metal detectors now, which look like they can identify what you had for breakfast 4 days ago but in actual fact are just plain and simple metal detectors.

Although I'm interested to see if anyone knows about this, cos any kind of technology like that is kinda cool regardless of how it's used - if only from a "wow, who'd a thought they could do that" standpoint. :)

Well from experience I have been stopped by customs sniffer dogs on the way back into the country because I had traces of pills left in my wallet from 2-3 weeks before. So to avoid complications keep that in mind.

I recently came back from Thailand with Valium and Xanax - Declared it at customs and was told to continue through with nothing to declare :D

shals :)

PS: Thai are strict on drugs. They have the initial bag scan, but then a randon searches of bags before entering the plane. Suprise Suprise!

I know what you are talking about, and I have only heard them say it is used for explosives detection, but I think it could be used for drug detection also. I don't know the details but it is a machine that is able to detect small particles of substances (in this case explosives), and was being tested as a trial.

Explosive and drug detection apparently.
There are currently several hundred IONSCAN® trace detectors in aviation security use at the major international airports in the US, Australia and the UK, including the new airports in Kuala Lumpur and Hong Kong. For the 2002 Winter Olympics, the IONSCAN® was the only trace detector chosen for deployment at the Salt Lake City Airport.

I'm going to take a guess here, and suggest that you friend was probably snooped with Smith Detection's Sabre 2000:
SABRE 2000 HANDHELD TRACE DETECTOR
The SABRE 2000 is the most versatile, multi-purpose handheld detector available. It can detect and identify both trace particles and vapors of explosives, narcotics, or chemical warfare agents. The SABRE 2000 is the smallest and lightest detector available capable of detecting over 40 substances in seconds.

But wait, there's more!

Last edited:
Yeah, they'd wanna invent some new detector devise cos the old metal detectors are absolutely FUCKED! I was coming back from europe earlier this years which entailed alot of transit flights...so im wearing the same shit... at one spot ill beep, the next i wont, then again ill beep and so on...
And those customs guys always manage to freak me out...even when i know im alright...scary, scary ppl (specially the german police guyz that walk around the airport carrying huge riffles). definitely on international flights i wouldnt have the guts to take anything with me...

Thanks for that info Thoth. Its amazing what new gizmo's advances in technology brings. I wonder how long it will be before these things are micro sized and in every policemans toolbelt. I couldn't see anything on the website but I wonder how these things compare to a sniffer dog.

I think i know the thing you are talking about. It s more like a dustbuster than ametal detector. A small vacum with a peice of filter paper in the end. they simply give you a bit of a vac then inserst the filter paper into some kind of machine that detects traces of explosives and very tiny traces at that.

I dont think they are using it for drug detection because i had just come from a big night and had very recently been in contact with certain substances. Also detecting drugs aswell as explosives would take up too much of thier time that they should be using to find explosives.

This was only a domestic regional flight too.

I work at the airport and get tested for explosives with a similar machine probably once a week or so. In theory they could set one up to test for drugs, but at the moment they have not done so and do not plan to do so. Its just for explosives.

i just got back from my trip and yes, I did see the machine in action (called ion scan not ion track but same type of technology)but unfortunately did not get screened. Spewen, I even rubbed some weed crumbs on myself before I went just to see what would happen if I was scanned since I wasn't actually taking anything with me. Oh well

I've been checked by the explosives detectors three times in the last year, and each time i've been reeking of weed (and most likely detectable amounts of plenty of other stuff too). But i've never been done for bombs OR buds :p

The Australian government either doesn't have the resources to be checking domestic air travellers for drugs, or it's got bigger fish to fry. Either way it's nice to fly around Australia without being harassed... too much. The explosive detector always gets the heart racing a bit.

According to this article even if the detector does go off airport security don't do a thing about it ;)

Security scare as jet flies off

02jul04

THE Federal Government is investigating why a plane was allowed to take off from Sydney airport in breach of security procedures.

A Korean Airlines flight, en route to Seoul, was ordered to return to Sydney on Wednesday night after the Office of Transport Security became aware of an issue involving a passenger's luggage.
A random security test at the airport detected traces of explosives on a male passenger as he boarded the flight.

Subsequent checks showed the test result was incorrect.

Office of Transport Security chief Andrew Tongue said airline and airport officials failed to follow security procedures by checking the man's luggage.

They also failed to immediately tell the Office of Transport Security what had happened.

About an hour after the plane took off Mr Tongue ordered it to return to Sydney so the man's baggage could be checked.

"There was a breakdown in us being advised," Mr Tongue said.

"The aircraft shouldn't have taken off, and we're conducting an investigation to determine why the failure occurred."

Hey peoples. I just flew out of the Gold Coast to Melbourne with a few party supplies in my sock. Not a single problem in the world. I too was worried about the explosives detection device, but unfortunately it was not used on me this time. I am aware of people that take 100+ pills interstate on a very regular basis via domestic flights, and once again, no issues.

Thread Cleaned

Several off-topic and questionable posts have been removed from this thread. Please remember to make sure your posts relate to the topic of the thread, rather than posting random questions that you think of while you're reading the posts in the thread... and be discreet... keep in mind that this is a public message board, and your posts could be read by anyone, including police.

BigTrancer :)

Tests at airports

I was just curious to see whether anyone knew anything about the new tests at the airports.
I went to see a friend off interstate lately and he went through a random "swiping" test. I dont really know how to describe it.
They take an intstrument and run it on your clothes and your pockets and bags. It detects something at a molecular level im guessing.
Is this a test for traces of illegal drugs or other material??

This has been discussed before so if you do a search on this forum you will probably find what your looking for.

IIRC that device's primary use is for explosives but could also be used for illegal substance detection.

I was tested using the same device flying back to Sydney from Uluru.
The guy operating the equipment specifically said it was an test for explosives traces.

^ This confirms my experience flying internationally recently. The lady in front of me in queue asked if it was to test for "drugs and chemicals" and the tester said "only chemicals, not drugs" - whatever that means.