• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

film: american wedding (american pie 3)

onetwothreefour

Bluelight Crew
i'm actually a really big fan of this series; of course, they're totally stupid, and low-brow, but they've got some amazingly funny slapstick moments (chaplin and buster keaton are both revered as classic film-makers: were either of them really doing stuff that was *much* more sophisticated than anything here, most of the time?). american pie 2 is my favourite over the first one, but i was hoping against hope that this might top it.

but alas, it just seems to have gone a bit flat. the first scene was encouraging, as it was typically hilarious, but the film was let down by a few inconsistencies and an even weaker narrative than usual. i wonder if anyone else noticed, but stifler totally became the scapegoat in this film, and his character was not at all consistent with what we'd seen in the last two films. sure, he's always been the immature, prankster, dick, but he's never been a total arsehole. and despite him constantly acting the fool around his friends, the point remains that they were always his friends. but now, we have it that jim isn't even going to invite to his wedding. in the context that we're given in this film, it makes sense (stifler seems to have evolved into a total cretin, totally devoid of any good traits, for the first half of the film or so), but he was never made out to be this much of a dick in the previous two.

and then there's the fact that suddenly - once he decides to give jim dance lessons (wow!) - he's one of the groomsmen?? a bit of a step up? besides that, there were some pretty good jokes, and the film was still quite fun. it's a shame that the script was nowhere near as tight as the previous two (which, imo, were their strengths), but it's still an enjoyable film.

how does everything else think this compares to the first two films, or as a stand-alone comedy?