Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

GHB as a medicine?

Nat

Bluelighter
in modays paper (in sydney) the naturoligist doctor (dr michael epstein- i think)
sugested ghb for somone with narcelepsy (but he did breifly mention bad dosage concerns), though not in australia as its illegal here, anyone else heard of this legitimate use for ghb.

GHB has been available on prescription in the USA under strictly controlled conditions since July 2002, if I remember correctly. It is marketed under the registered brandname Xyrem.

Xyrem is specifically for the treatment of cataplexy in narcolepsy (a rare condition) and the dose is given nightly at bedtime to induce sleep. As narcolepsy is a sleep disorder in which sufferers fall asleep suddenly and without warning during the day, I assume that the GHB somehow acts to stabilise the sleep cycle.

For more information see http://xyrem.info/ or do a Google search on Xyrem.:|

The French continue to use GHB as a paediatric anethetic, although its use in this application has been shunned by most other countries due to the large number of side effects.

GHB has also been suggested for use in alcohol withdrawl and has been trialled for this purpose in the US.

The research advocating GHB in muscle building and dieting is from some fairly poor and unreplocated research by the Japanese in the late 1970's. This research has for all intents and purposes been debunked and is not considered valid in most medical circles.

Dr. Platypus would be the man for more details in this area.

Cheers,

Buck

buck: can you elaborate on the 'large number of side effects' that are developed during paediatric GHB use? Presumably you're referring to some negative side-effects unrelated to anaesthesia?

BigTrancer :)